Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys
I am new to this forum and I live in Cape Town, South Africa.
I have been drooling over this bike for a while now. (let's be honest, since it was released) and I decided that I am going to get one as soon as summer starts this year. I have already purchased most of my protective gear and i am really psyched about getting the bike in a couple of months.

However, my concern is this. On my daily commute to work this morning I saw a guy on a R1 being totaled by a car. This happened like 5 cars ahead of me!!!! The R1 guy was lane-splitting and going quite fast, the car changed lanes and BOOM :eek:. Needless to say, it was a gruesome crash. There was nothing left of either rider or bike!!!!:eek: This was seriously not something anybody would want to see! The car had minor damages and I am now scarred for life and doubting my decision to buy a motorcycle.

Look, i know that it is a dangerous sport to take up and everything. I also know that had the R1 guy been driving within the speedlimit he would have had time to react to the car turning into his path. He might even have escaped nothing more than a faster heart beat. I am super observant when driving my car and always make room for bikers who lane-split (it's legal to lane split here). But I am not willing to be turned into pulp by someone elses mistake when I finally do get my bike.

I really, really want this bike, but this accident made me rethink my decision to get one.

Does this happen to everyone who sees an accident like this? and is there any way to improve your 'chance of survival' when biking?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Forgive my lack of knowledge here but, is there any kind of motorcycle safety course offered there? If so I'd say sign up ASAP and knock that out, it'll help with both skills and confidence.

Other then that, stay smart, stay alert, and stay safe.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Sounds like you are a pretty cautious driver, as is....but you have to remember, you can be the most observant motorcyclist and someone else can ruin your day/life. It is more dangerous, but the more rules you follow and less ignorant you ride, the better your chances. I have seen a few accidents, and it DOES affect me...makes me even more aware. Its gotten to the point where, even when driving my car and someone cuts me off or pulls out on me, it makes me think about how I would react if I were on my bike.

Know the risks involved, and in the end you are the only one that can determine if riding is for you.

·
745 Posts
Is a motorcycle less safe than a car? Yes. Can you reduce the additional danger through knowledge, experience and careful driving? Yes. Can you totally eliminate the additional danger of riding a motocycle? No.

You have to weigh the risks versus the benefits. Walking is more dangerous than lying in bed - but are you willing to become a vegetable over a fear of twisting your ankle? Driving a car is more dangerous than walking - but are you willing to become a hermit or limit your world to a few city blocks?

You, and you alone, have to decide whether riding is worth it to you. To some people, skydiving, scuba diving, extreme skiing are all so much fun that they're willing to accept the additional risk involved.

Motorcycles are not as dangerous as any of those, and the risks can be lessened by riding safely and not adding additional risk to the equation. However, the risk never quite goes away, as even the best defensive rider can be waylaid by an idiot.

This isn't a testosterone decision - this is one that you need to think logically through. If you are going to be constantly on edge in fear of dying on a motorcycle, then you won't enjoy riding and it's not worth it. If, however, you love the feeling you get on a nice back road on two wheels, then learn how to ride defensively, get some gear, and enjoy life.

Sorry I couldn't give you a simple answer, but there is none.

Luke

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Welcome aboard matey. It all depends on how you ride. You'll never be completely safe from others around you, but some people are just accidents waiting to happen. I'm a very sensible rider, I do filter, but only when the traffic's doing under 20 mph or so. I've had 1 small off in 30 years of riding on the road, but there's some, even on here, who will be lucky to get past the next year or so alive. ;)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys. I just had a brief moment of hesitation and I am now again waiting for the rainy season to end!!!

Luke, I am aware of all the dangers involved and i am not a person who lives in constant fear of dying. It was just kind of shocking seeing this accident happen. It would get anyone thinking and rethinking. I will definitely take your advise and consider everything you said.

Corehound... They do offer courses here, but i do not think it is as advanced as you guys get. Honda offers a course upon buying a new bike from them, but i think it is just basics. I grew up on a yamaha PW80 and had a 50cc bike until about 10 years ago, so I am familiar with how motorcycles work and riding them. The only difference is that i only have small town riding experience and have never ridden a motorcycle in the city. I have a manual car, and from what i am reading on forums, changing gears are the biggest problems for most new riders. I will most definitely go for a refresher course closer to buying time though.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Dont let seeing accident make your decsion. A motorcycle is not dangerous. Its usually the other humans or irresponsible riders that cause accidents.
Buy a bike , take a safety course and enjoy the riding.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Is a motorcycle less safe than a car? Yes. Can you reduce the additional danger through knowledge, experience and careful driving? Yes. Can you totally eliminate the additional danger of riding a motocycle? No.

You have to weigh the risks versus the benefits. Walking is more dangerous than lying in bed - but are you willing to become a vegetable over a fear of twisting your ankle? Driving a car is more dangerous than walking - but are you willing to become a hermit or limit your world to a few city blocks?

You, and you alone, have to decide whether riding is worth it to you. To some people, skydiving, scuba diving, extreme skiing are all so much fun that they're willing to accept the additional risk involved.

Motorcycles are not as dangerous as any of those
, and the risks can be lessened by riding safely and not adding additional risk to the equation. However, the risk never quite goes away, as even the best defensive rider can be waylaid by an idiot.

This isn't a testosterone decision - this is one that you need to think logically through. If you are going to be constantly on edge in fear of dying on a motorcycle, then you won't enjoy riding and it's not worth it. If, however, you love the feeling you get on a nice back road on two wheels, then learn how to ride defensively, get some gear, and enjoy life.

Sorry I couldn't give you a simple answer, but there is none.

Luke
Being a scuba diver and motorcyclist I would disagree with the highlighted part but the rest is spot on. With the almost daily close calls/near misses and one real accident I've experienced in my first 2 months of riding I still have my reservations about choosing to add a bike to my life but as spooked as I am right now I'm going to try to push on through.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Accidents are part of riding and driving a car. Just most car accidents are not as dangerous because of the 3000 lbs of metal/plastic around you.

You have to be more defensive on a bike, but you can be safe too. Lane splitting (illegal here) is not meant to be done at highway speeds. But if you are going to do it, you have to accept the possibility of bouncing off a car or 2 :rolleyes:

I have had 2 accidents since I have been riding (10 years back in the 70s & 80s) and 6 years since 2006. Both accidents were all me, no one else involved. First accident was in a parking lot, second was on a off ramp of a interstate a month ago. The first caused $50 damage, the last totaled my Triumph Daytona 675.

It was scary, but while I was sitting in the ER, I couldn't wait to get another bike. I am recovered physically, just waiting to our house is finished to buy another bike.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Seeing accidents helps to eliminate any illusions about what can happen when you are riding or driving. Some people may decide it is not worth the risk. Nothing wrong with that.

I personally watch all of the accident video I can find. It keeps me focused on minimizing the risk by reminding me to keep my skills sharp, to drive defensively and be geared up at all times. Once I get complacent, another driver or a sketchy piece of road will get me for sure.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Your marital/family situation is not mentioned, either. While you can limit the risk by riding defensively, you cannot eliminate risk. If married, the spouse's perception of the risk is also a factor.

My wife rides, but when the second kid came (the income was small and insurance not too great) we didn't ride. Once the 3rd boy was out of grade school, I went back to riding but she waited until we retired to start riding again (only on her own bike).

Everything is relative to each person; you need to be comfortable with your decision. Others, who have to live with the consequences should you have a serious accident, need to be OK with your choice. They don't have to like it, but if there are serious fears, that can eat at a relationship until it goes sour.

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
Does this happen to everyone who sees an accident like this? and is there any way to improve your 'chance of survival' when biking?
I don't know about everyone, although I'd suspect that most thinking, feeling human beings would be affected to some degree on seeing a violent crash where another human being is severely injured or killed. What you're feeling is what makes you a sentient being.

I saw the aftermath of a fatal motorcycle crash when I was in my late teens, while driving home from work. The crash had just happened, no EMT's on site, just a few cars that had stopped. It was a gruesome sight to witness, to say the least.
A few days prior I had put a couple hundred dollars down on a new bike, a Yamaha XT250 dual purpose, which was to be my first street legal bike. Up until then I had been riding strictly off road motorcycles. A few days after seeing the crash, I went back to the Yamaha dealer, and had them switch my deposit onto a different bike, another off road model. It would be another couple years before I made the move to riding on the road.

So, yeah it affects you... you wouldn't be a normal human being if it didn't.

By the way, I use the term "Crash" rather than "Accident"... to me accident implies that nothing could have been done to prevent it from happening, which as we all know, is not always true.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I was in El Salvador at the beginning of February and we passed by the aftermath of what I assume was a fatal motorcycle accident on a coastal mountain road. The girl (along with her bike and the 4' long, 10" thick log she apparently hit) was laying on the side of the road with neither of the 2 police officers nor any of the 10 bystanders/gawkers attending to her or even within 30 feet of her. I still bought my first bike less than 3 weeks later. Just can't explain it...

·
Registered
879 Posts
I dont think lane splitting is a good idea. Actually its against the law in the state i live in, but even if it was legal i wouldnt do it. Vary Risky

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I agree about the lane splitting being dangerous, especially at break neck speeds like that guy was doing. Thanks guys. I am over my concern. The guy on the R1 dug his own grave by riding irresponsibly, and I am not going to let his stupidity influence my desicion to buy a bike. If I think back, from what I saw the guy didn't seem to have any protective gear on other than his helmet.
Jsonder, nope, I'm not married. The only people who will have to deal with my desicion is family. Mostly everyone is supportive of the idea, the rest are okay with it. So it's an all vlear on that front!

·
Banned
834 Posts
Don't worry.... cops ride motorcycles for their job everyday and they are fine. They are not thrill seekers but rather making a living. Most problems are due to rider error. Lane splitting is for fools, even on bicycles or on foot. Get a motorcycle, you'll love it. It's more fun riding without a helmet but wear a helmet for safety.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts