Registered
4,996 Posts
Is the standard headlight no good?

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
only ok

Is the standard headlight no good?
The CBR250R headlight throws a better pattern than my 09 Ninja (which is down right useless. It should be illegal to sell a motorcycle with such a poor headlight.) but is still not great for highway commuting at night in the rain. Cars are allowed to have two 55 watt low beams. Why do motorcycles have to be relegated to one? Vision is that much more difficult and critical on a moto than a car. I have ordered the DDM Tuning HID high low which is supposed to be designed to achieve the correct beam pattern when replacing a halogen and have a solenoidal length adjustment to switch between low and high. The 35 watt balast will give 3 times more light. And, a 4500k or 5000k bulb will give a whiter, more usable light than halogen.

·
Registered
37 Posts
looks good... nice to see more and more owners installing HID kits on the cbr.

What color temp are you running? looks like 6k

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can buy an H4 kit on ebay. I put a pair from ebay in my truck and i'm going on 2.5 years with no issues and they were $40.00. As far as being bothered by cops I havent had any issues. The pattern, IDK it seems good to me, better than stock. People say they can see my from a long ways away witch is what i was going for.

·
Registered
386 Posts
The CBR250R headlight throws a better pattern than my 09 Ninja (which is down right useless. It should be illegal to sell a motorcycle with such a poor headlight.) but is still not great for highway commuting at night in the rain. Cars are allowed to have two 55 watt low beams. Why do motorcycles have to be relegated to one? Vision is that much more difficult and critical on a moto than a car. I have ordered the DDM Tuning HID high low which is supposed to be designed to achieve the correct beam pattern when replacing a halogen and have a solenoidal length adjustment to switch between low and high. The 35 watt balast will give 3 times more light. And, a 4500k or 5000k bulb will give a whiter, more usable light than halogen.
Please post pics and maybe even video after you install the DDM kit. It would be really helpful to see how the light shines down the road instead of just aiming it at a garage door as well as displaying how the hi-lo system works and how effective it is/isn't.

I'm also curious to see how badly an HID set up would blind oncoming drivers and how well the kit would handle the load while starting up the engine being that the light comes on when the key is turned to the on position regardless of whether the engine is running or not.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
digital

Please post pics and maybe even video after you install the DDM kit. It would be really helpful to see how the light shines down the road instead of just aiming it at a garage door as well as displaying how the hi-lo system works and how effective it is/isn't.

I'm also curious to see how badly an HID set up would blind oncoming drivers and how well the kit would handle the load while starting up the engine being that the light comes on when the key is turned to the on position regardless of whether the engine is running or not.
The DDM kits use a digital ballast to limit the start surge to 2x the running current. 6 amps to start and 3 amps running for the 35 watt ballast. They also offer 55 watt ballasts but the bulbs run super hot with those and can melt the housings in some cases. I am hopeful that their self proclaimed hype of a custom bulb geometry will prove true so I can retain the excellent stock beam pattern and enjoy the 3x increase in brightness with no uncontrolled splash shining everywhere that a stock geometry HID bulb has due to it's longer length compared to the halogen that the reflector was designed for. The only concern for a solenoid or shutter controlled headlight bulb in a CBR250R is the single headlight bulb. If it blacks out at speed on a back country road there is no backup plan such as switching beam filaments. You will suddenly find yourself in the dark with no options. If I decide I like the HID, I will at least carry a spare bulb to get me home. Normally they give a purple warning for many hours before they die but anything can happen with only one headlight system. I may have to consider hacking the housing open in order to install some led driving lights in place of the position lights as a back up plan.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My buddy has the DDM kit on his 2010 R1 but it's like compairing our bikes to his 1000. With projector lenses it makes a world of a difference. ours not being projector are going to have a weird pattern no matter what brand of kit you use. I'm hoping someone comes out with a projector head light or I will just have to make my own.

·
Registered
68 Posts
BBR- can u pls post a detailed installation guide ? how did u manage to get the headlight opened up. did u had to remove the fairings?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BBR- can u pls post a detailed installation guide ? how did u manage to get the headlight opened up. did u had to remove the fairings?
I did not take anything off the bike, Just need to reach up, pull the rubber cover off the back of the bulb, release the spring that holds the bulb in place and swap it out with the HID bulb. Blug your wires in "all plug and play" mound the ballast where ever you want and your set.

·
Registered
706 Posts
You guys make me want to just tear open my headlight to put in my Morimoto projector and show you what a difference it will make to do this correctly.

The Morimoto D2S projector from The Retrofit Source online: headlight upgrades for all applications is a real bi xenon projector that accepts a standard readily available D2S bulb. It is compatible with all D2S ballasts which are OEM on many cars with HID's. The projector itself is made to fit an H4 bulb socket and is almost a PnP kit. The major difference from a PnP being that yes you do have to tear the headlight apart.

A PnP kit can be dangerous to other drivers, it has excessive glare and at night on a dark road renders oncoming drivers almost blind to anything but your lights.

The reason I haven't installed my projector is because honestly the stock H4 is amazing, it provides just enough light so that you can see what's in front of you without fatiguing your eyes or others eyes and with the high beam on you can see almost everything. A projector would provide a wider pattern of light but honestly isn't going to increase the distance the light travels by much.

See how clean the light is out of the projector?

Reactions: JJ Behan

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I did not take anything off the bike, Just need to reach up, pull the rubber cover off the back of the bulb, release the spring that holds the bulb in place and swap it out with the HID bulb. Blug your wires in "all plug and play" mound the ballast where ever you want and your set.
Will any ballast work for this? I have an extra ballast with cables that look like this:

Redirect Notice

·
Registered
28 Posts
Did the beam pattern change with the bi-xenon bulb? I'm mostly concerned with the glare in the original photo as it looks like light is reflecting off the high-beam area. Supposedly, the HID bulb with the solenoid for bi-xenon covers part of the light output so that it only reflects off the low-beam area. Can you comment on this? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It did not change. Somebody. I know how it looks with a projector but I did this way before anyone retrofitted a projector and will probable get that done soon. I had other things to do to the bike first.
And yes it does glare but i never ride at night, but the plus side is in daylight you can see the bike coming from miles away.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts