Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
L&G,
Just Finished off ordering an HID Kit & T10 LED's for the front headlight.

They should be hear within 3 weeks time,

HID Kit Specs:
Bulb Type: H4 Hi/Lo
Bulb Color:5000K
Wattage:35W

This is for the stock H4 replacement.

For the two surrounding eye lights, ordered some blue T10 Leds.

Can anybody share the installation steps as i plan to tackle this out by myself.

How to remove the headlight Glass? etc etc..... some pictures,steps would be helpful.
My local CBR dealer really sucks and has showed his unwillingness to install any mods at the dealership.

·
Registered
49 Posts
i installed HID about a month ago and i didnt remove the Headlight just remove the instrument cluster and you have plent of access to the back of the headlight.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am planning on doing the same thing when I get my bike. I decided on the 50W HID and hope they aren't too bright. Also, do you know if the position lights have a reflector in them as this would determine what type of T10s to get. Thanks.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A word of Caution on Installing an 50W HID, this get overheated and can cause a meltdown+ you are going to blind off the opposite guy which in tun increases the chance of an Mishap.
Think abt others who would be blinded off.

Regarding the LED's i ordered the 5 SMCD which is a square LED with 4 LED's on the 4 faces and one on the TOP,hence i don't need to bother about the inbuilt reflectords on the headlight.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't you are correct with the over heating concern. Wattage is the same and HID bulbs are actually cooler than Halogen. The brightness may be an issue.

·
Registered
71 Posts
50W HIDs will not last as long as 35W. meltdown is very unlikely. The brightness of them is very close to eachother I have never really noticed a big change between the two... ou, I also ordered the 5 SMCD leds when I did mine. They work well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
HID install

I just installed a pair of DDMTuning 35watt, 5000k. hi/low HIDs in my Yamaha Zuma 125. I plan on installing one of the bulbs, (the Yamaha has twin light housings), in my CBR250R when it arrives. The hi/low HID has a reflective metal shield that covers the bottom and front of the emitter. It looks like a cigar tube that has been cut in half lengthwise. Its called a CASPER SHIELD. There is also a large cut out on the bottom of the Casper shield toward the rear. The HID emitter (bulb) is mounted in a housing that contains a magnet and a solenoid coil. The bulb burns at the same brightness for both high and low beams. It is the magnet that moves the bulb forward within the Casper shield the causes all of the light to be reflected up and somewhat back so that it strikes only the upper reflective surface of your headlight housing. The housing will then reflect the light down so that it does not blind oncoming drivers. When you hit the hi beams, a small current (.688 amps) energizes the solenoid coil in the lamp base and pulls the bulb back. So that the light can pass through the opening in the bottom of the Casper shield at its rear. This illuminates all of the reflective surface in your headlight housing and projects a strong beam forward. I was surprised at how effective this system is considering it forgoes the usual projector lens used for most HID systems. The Casper shield blocks the intense, direct light from the of front of the emitter, and the round beam is neatly cut in half. Blocking the top and boosting the bottom so that there is very little glare directed at oncoming traffic. The high beam however is a flame thrower. It actually causes reflective street signs to glow so brightly that they bother my eyes when driving on a dark night. On the plus side though, I've seen the glow of animal eyes on the side of the road from hundreds of yards ahead of me.

The main thing to remember is to install the HIDs with the open side of the Casper shield facing up so the light is directed down. Its a bit counter intuitive.

The HID emitters require a ballast and a switching relay. I'm hoping there is space inside of the fairing to mount them. On my Yamaha I ran a separate #12 wire with an inline fuse to the battery in case there was a short. That way the rest of the bikes wiring is isolated. The existing plug that is on the back of the factory light plugs into a matching harness on the HID relay. So when the bike starts he system is switched on. The high beam wire in that plug also controls the hi beam solenoid.

Teakdust

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just installed a pair of DDMTuning 35watt, 5000k. hi/low HIDs in my Yamaha Zuma 125. I plan on installing one of the bulbs, (the Yamaha has twin light housings), in my CBR250R when it arrives. The hi/low HID has a reflective metal shield that covers the bottom and front of the emitter. It looks like a cigar tube that has been cut in half lengthwise. Its called a CASPER SHIELD. There is also a large cut out on the bottom of the Casper shield toward the rear. The HID emitter (bulb) is mounted in a housing that contains a magnet and a solenoid coil. The bulb burns at the same brightness for both high and low beams. It is the magnet that moves the bulb forward within the Casper shield the causes all of the light to be reflected up and somewhat back so that it strikes only the upper reflective surface of your headlight housing. The housing will then reflect the light down so that it does not blind oncoming drivers. When you hit the hi beams, a small current (.688 amps) energizes the solenoid coil in the lamp base and pulls the bulb back. So that the light can pass through the opening in the bottom of the Casper shield at its rear. This illuminates all of the reflective surface in your headlight housing and projects a strong beam forward. I was surprised at how effective this system is considering it forgoes the usual projector lens used for most HID systems. The Casper shield blocks the intense, direct light from the of front of the emitter, and the round beam is neatly cut in half. Blocking the top and boosting the bottom so that there is very little glare directed at oncoming traffic. The high beam however is a flame thrower. It actually causes reflective street signs to glow so brightly that they bother my eyes when driving on a dark night. On the plus side though, I've seen the glow of animal eyes on the side of the road from hundreds of yards ahead of me.

The main thing to remember is to install the HIDs with the open side of the Casper shield facing up so the light is directed down. Its a bit counter intuitive.

The HID emitters require a ballast and a switching relay. I'm hoping there is space inside of the fairing to mount them. On my Yamaha I ran a separate #12 wire with an inline fuse to the battery in case there was a short. That way the rest of the bikes wiring is isolated. The existing plug that is on the back of the factory light plugs into a matching harness on the HID relay. So when the bike starts he system is switched on. The high beam wire in that plug also controls the hi beam solenoid.

Teakdust
Hey,
That was a through technical input from your side...........
Are you an electrical guy (guess....)
Post some pics of the casper sheild facing up, your install etc.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts