Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...
we've talked the butt-cheeks off an elephant about how to make it go faster,increase total bhp ,make it jump through fire-hoops in 6th gear etc

what we havent talked about (i think...correct me if am wrong) is the moto-booze we let it drink....FUEL.

i came across this "octane enhancer" somewhere on the world wide web
they said:-

"for normal use: fill up your tank.open can.Dunk it into the tank.

for racing: fill up your tank. open can. dunk three cans into the tank."

its called "OWS Germany Octane Boosters"

i know the fuel gets jacked up to crytsal meth levels..
mu question is....wait for it.....

WHAT DOES IT DO TO THE BIKE IN THE LONG RUN???

GOOD? BAD? UGLY? NICHOLAS CAGE?

WHAT?

Biking Gurus,
thanks for bearing with this darn post...but plz answer the question.

Cheers! Happy riding.

Dr.Ankur.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
BBR is correct. Using a fuel with a higher octane rating than necessary to just barely hold off detonation will cost you power.

I'm pretty sure it may also cost you MPGs, but I'm not positive of that.

Use the recommended octane fuel and you are fine - you will not gain anything from more octane unless you are detonating.

The only good reason to go up to a higher grade than recommended (if you are not detonating) is to get away from Ethanol. You will get slightly better power and mileage by using a higher octane fuel only if the fuel with the recommended rating has Ethanol.

Jay

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys...
:)

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have tried "Lucas Upper Cylinder Treatment" , and it made a world of difference. My buddy and I run CBR125r's and we went on a day ride last year and as the day went on , my bike ran poorer and poorer. Was doing highway riding and just had no umppph !! So stopped in the next town by Canadian Tire and bought some "Lucas" ,put a splash of it in the tank and back on the road again. Within a few miles had lots of power and bike sounded better too. My buddy noticed the difference too as he had a hard time keeping up now. Its not some thing you should run ever tank but proabbly ever 3 or 4th tank should work.
We also tried different grades of octanes on our trip last year. Even tried super-high octane gas (94) and accually got worst mileage and same power. Mid-grade or high grade fuel is usually fine as it has smaller amounts of ethanol in it. Just try and use ethanol-free gas when possable.
Just my 2 cents !!

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I have tried "Lucas Upper Cylinder Treatment" , and it made a world of difference. My buddy and I run CBR125r's and we went on a day ride last year and as the day went on , my bike ran poorer and poorer. Was doing highway riding and just had no umppph !! So stopped in the next town by Canadian Tire and bought some "Lucas" ,put a splash of it in the tank and back on the road again. Within a few miles had lots of power and bike sounded better too. My buddy noticed the difference too as he had a hard time keeping up now. Its not some thing you should run ever tank but proabbly ever 3 or 4th tank should work.
We also tried different grades of octanes on our trip last year. Even tried super-high octane gas (94) and accually got worst mileage and same power. Mid-grade or high grade fuel is usually fine as it has smaller amounts of ethanol in it. Just try and use ethanol-free gas when possable.
Just my 2 cents !!
You should take up writing advertising copy!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I run 98 RON in all my toys, never had an issue with power loss and my MPG is hardly an issue.. As for "octane booster", they either do absolutely nothing or reduce the power output,
watch this:

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I run 98 RON in all my toys, never had an issue with power loss and my MPG is hardly an issue.. As for "octane booster", they either do absolutely nothing or reduce the power output,
watch this: 5th Gear - Myth about fuel additives - YouTube
Agreed (results at 2:30), but high octane fuel is doing essentially the same thing that the additives are doing- costing you power if it's not needed to control detonation.

Unless you carefully test the recommended fuel against high octane fuel you aren't going to notice a difference.

Bottom line is still the same - higher octane than required costs you power.

Jay

·
Registered
232 Posts
Whether "Lucas" just cleaned up some bad fuel or cleaned up a bad injector.... I don't know. BUT my bike definately ran better and had more top speed. (You will notice this on a 125cc) . I use "Lucas" every 3rd tank or so, just to keep things cleaned up !!

·
Registered
11 Posts
The lowest quality fuel available here is 95 octane.
There's also 98 the pump didn't try it.

Runs 27 km per litter on 95 octane

·
Registered
107 Posts
The lowest quality fuel available here is 95 octane.
There's also 98 the pump didn't try it.

Runs 27 km per litter on 95 octane
Please note that there are different methods of calculating octane.

The US uses "Anti Knock Index", Most of the rest of the world uses "Research Octane Number".

Rough chart which may be inaccurate:
AKI RON
85 90
87 91
89 93
91 95
94 98

If you are using the RON I am surprised that 95 is the lowest available, this makes me think your country is using a different method making it harder to compare.

·
Registered
254 Posts
On a stock bike it will make you lose power. Unless you are going head work or bumping the compression up and advancing the ignition timing it's a complete waste of money. Just my 0.02 cents
I agree and I felt it myself. I used to put 91 and it felt less peppy and less torque. Now is just great.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I agree and I felt it myself. I used to put 91 and it felt less peppy and less torque. Now is just great.
Dont forget to adjust for altitude as well. Higher altitudes generally need lower octane ratings to provide the same "predetonation resistance" due to the thinner air. Or to put that another way if you ride in the mountains its like getting a free upgrade of 1 level on your fuel :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey guys, I'm no expert by any means. But I'll offer my noob opinion.

I ran 87 octane on the first tank when i bought my bike, as it came fully fueled from the dealership. Then I ran 94 octane, and I haven't used any less ever since. There's definitely a big increase in power in my opinion. So I don't know why anyone said that higher octane will result in power loss. 94 Gives me noticeably more power every time.

Perhaps it was the quality of the fuel, or the place you're from. I got the 94 octane from Petro Canada (some petro's have the special 94).

·
Super Moderator
6,939 Posts

I ran 87 octane on the first tank when i bought my bike, as it came fully fueled from the dealership. Then I ran 94 octane, and I haven't used any less ever since. There's definitely a big increase in power in my opinion. So I don't know why anyone said that higher octane will result in power loss. 94 Gives me noticeably more power every time.

Perhaps it was the quality of the fuel, or the place you're from. I got the 94 octane from Petro Canada (some petro's have the special 94).
It sounds like that is based on the 'seat of the pants' dynamometer... it would be interesting to see if a high-end, state of the art eddy current dynamometer would corroborate that claim.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
lots of info here on fuel and octane - search box..

this engine and its combustion process is designed
for the recommended 91RON = approx 87PON petrol..

petol burns or combusts in the combustion chamber..
there is a flame produced on spark before piston reaches
TDC which has a certain shape and spread, according to
number of valves and other design factors..

this burning creates heat which causes pressure
which drives the piston.. if the fuel/air mix explodes
instead of burning at he desired rate, its called 'knock'
which will damage [or destroy] the engine if not
corrected..
with normal conditions incl absence of carbon deposits etc
our engine combustion and flame spread should proceed
along with our timing to produce good flame spread
and combustion thus power potential..
if, there is explosion of the fuel/air mix or 'knock'
one way of responding to that would be to up
petrol octane rating..

the question is on increasing power thru fuel octane..
all basic petrol has the same calorific value..
thus as members have noted, increasing octane
in our engine in normal tune and condition
will not increase power potential..

link explains what 'octane' means;
Fact or Fiction?: Premium Gasoline Delivers Premium Benefits to Your Car - Scientific American

·
Registered
1,105 Posts

Perhaps it was the quality of the fuel, or the place you're from. I got the 94 octane from Petro Canada (some petro's have the special 94).[/QUOTE

Its all in you're head, and when I say high octane I mean race fuel. The highest octane of pump gas is fine but high octane race fuel will make less power on a stock compression engine.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've read a lot of articles and lower octane provides more volatility and access to energy and works best in low compression engines.
Hi compression engines require higher octane in order to reduce the knock from volatile fuels. Thus if your engine doesn't knock from it, you don't need any higher octane.
it is the only reason for anti knock sensors, modern high compression vehicles can't run on low octane fuels without adjusting ignition timing on the fly.
In order to bring back high performance engines in full force we should lift the ban on leaded gas. Then we could see some very very hi compression (jet) engines on the road

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
The engine is made to run 91RON. Anything higher and you're wasting your money. It is a placebo.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 51 Posts