Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
manual does not state ethanol is 'fine' for this motorcycle..

some societies have mandated ethanol in petrol..
honda is responding with advice to owners
on the basis of this reality, not telling owners
that 'ethanol is fine'..

australia is a small player here, usa corn
is the or a driving force creating this reality..

fcai comprehensive list of vehicles suitable for ethanol
is based on manufacturer and importer advice..
scroll thru ethanol info etc and list of cars
to 'motorcycles'..

Can my vehicle operate on Ethanol blend petrol? : FCAI

So why is it fine for all Harley's post 1986? Are they just a better built bike?

app won't let me upload pic from my owners manual, but turn to page 95 where it says fuels containing upto 10% ethanol are fine for our bike

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I run 98 RON in all my toys, never had an issue with power loss and my MPG is hardly an issue.. As for "octane booster", they either do absolutely nothing or reduce the power output
Only thing running 98RON in our bikes does is make you spend more at the bowser. Doesn't give better performance, or MPG.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
link below - scroll down to; 'can i use ethanol fuel in my honda product'..
first part; 'e10 can be used with honda marine and power equipment
and motorcycles built after 1990, although it is not recommended'.

obviously, honda engines 'can' run on e10, which is not the same
as being 'recommended' or being 'fine' [which indicates excellence,
best quality, the highest level of perfection etc]..

General Information for All Honda Products | FAQ | About Honda | Honda

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Not exactly true as if you don't ride your bike often 98 Ron won't go off as quick as 91ron.
Didn't know that. Mine is a daily commute so always runs 91RON.

Do you know the "shelf life" of 91 vs 98?

·
Registered
529 Posts
3-4 weeks vs 3-4 months.
This is the primary reason why I use premium in all my motorcycles, including my carbureted dirtbikes, and my Honda mowers and trimmer. It's only required in the WR250R though. A year or so ago, I was reading that GM recommends using premium (non-ethanol) fuel in the Chevy Volt too, particularly if the owner will be driving mainly on electricity and won't be refueling often - leaving the fuel sitting in the tank.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
But if it's taking you 3-4 months to go through a tank why have a bike? You'd only be averaging at most 3kms a day

What if you own multiple bikes and most of the time they are all sitting there full of gas.. Wouldn't you rather have the gas that will last longer?

For someone that constantly drains tanks like myself, running Premium isn't a biggie, I still do it here and there for long trips because it gives me better MPG. People say it doesn't, But running a tank of the cheap stuff and a tank of the premium both all on the freeway, I get better MPG with the premium. It also seems to keep its speed up the mountains better, but that is all in my head I think.. I know the MPG thing is true because i'll get ~20 more miles from a tank with premium.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Not exactly true as if you don't ride your bike often 98 Ron won't go off as quick as 91ron.
I don't believe that it is the octane rating that effects the shelf-life of the fuel.

The main factor is the addition of ethanol to the gas. Many (not all) "Premium" grades are ethanol-free, so they will last longer than "Regular" with ethanol. Fuel with ethanol will breakdown and go bad quicker than fuel without. Ethanol will also hold water, start corrosion, and attack some seals and gaskets in older engines. Ethanol will make a carbed engine run lean, and will give you less mileage than gas without. Overall, it's just a bad idea to mix with gas.

If you can get 87 octane without ethanol you are going to get the best power and mileage (and least cost). The only reason, IMO, to go to a higher fuel grade is to get away from ethanol.

So if Premium is the only grade available without, I would use it.

·
Registered
529 Posts
What if you own multiple bikes and most of the time they are all sitting there full of gas. Wouldn't you rather have the gas that will last longer?
Arrethul nailed it. My mowers and trimmer don't get used all the time. Same with my TTR-110 and TTR-125. And my WR250R has been sitting lonely for a while. I'm not as concerned about letting my fuel-injected bikes sit for a bit though. Interesting, over the past few years I've decided to not drain the float-bowls of my dirtbikes and lawn equipment in the fall. Have just made sure there is fresh premium (non-ethanol) fuel in them. All of them have been starting first or second pull in the spring, and running great. No gummed jets yet. Granted - my experience is purely anecdotal. The cold weather in the off-season might help prolong the fuel shelf-life here too. With that said - neighbours have experienced clogged jets on regular fuel in their yard equipment. I'll keep you posted.

Mike

41 - 51 of 51 Posts