Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbie (almost 800 miles on the bike now) who has never been a nervous nellie about gettin on the freeway, but I do find that the bike's reduced turning abilities at high speed take some getting use to. I am still somewhat on edge while entering freeway interchanges that require turns at 65 or so, and find myself slowing down and being unwilling to lean enough out of concern of a catastrophic loss of traction. Also wondering about tips for evasive maneuvers at freeway speeds when encountering debris, especially at night when long-range visibility is reduced. I don't we're gonna go over that in the parking lot course I'm scheduled to take next month. Any advice from you veterans would be appreciated.

Happy riding.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
149 Posts
Countersteering my friend. Also, keep your head up and LOOK where you want to go. If you're turning left, turn your head and look at your exit point and the bike will follow.

When it comes to avoiding debris it's the same concept as countersteering. Push left then quickly push right, etc.

Also; take a motorcycle safety course, well worth it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Another thing you will learn; if you enter a turn too hot don't let off the throttle, generally speaking it's better to give it a bit more gas. The rear tire will grab and ride on trough. Even this bike can be ridden harder and faster then most of us ever will.

Don't leave your comfort zone too soon. If your riding with stronger riders and they are carving the twisties faster then you're comfortable with hang back and take em at your own pace.

And seriously, find a motorcycle safety course and take it, little later on take the advanced course.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Slow, Look, Press, Roll.

NEVER slow while in the curve. It'll send your ass right into the guardrail.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'm a newbie (almost 800 miles on the bike now) who has never been a nervous nellie about gettin on the freeway, but I do find that the bike's reduced turning abilities at high speed take some getting use to. I am still somewhat on edge while entering freeway interchanges that require turns at 65 or so, and find myself slowing down and being unwilling to lean enough out of concern of a catastrophic loss of traction. Also wondering about tips for evasive maneuvers at freeway speeds when encountering debris, especially at night when long-range visibility is reduced. I don't we're gonna go over that in the parking lot course I'm scheduled to take next month. Any advice from you veterans would be appreciated.

Happy riding.

You SHOULD worry about a sudden loss of traction. Loss of traction and taking curves too fast are a major cause of single driver motorcycle accidents. Unlike a track there are many hazards on an urban street. When I cross a wet manhole cover in a curve I can feel the bike slide outwards; first the front tire, then the rear. There is no solution other than to wear protective gear (especially textile or leather pants for the slide on your butt), and pay close attention to the road surface in your path. Ride safe.

·
Registered
350 Posts

Happy riding.

Reduced turning abilities???? Are we talking about the same bike?

I lean this thing any further over, I'll be scratching my ears with the pavement...

I'm (pleasantly) surprised *daily* by the maneuverability of this bike, and further, by the stickiness of the stock IRCs.

Perhaps it's a Wile E. Coyote thing... I'll keep doing tight turns at speed, with *no* issues until someone tells me the bike can't do that...

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
You SHOULD worry about a sudden loss of traction. Loss of traction and taking curves too fast are a major cause of single driver motorcycle accidents. Unlike a track there are many hazards on an urban street. When I cross a wet manhole cover in a curve I can feel the bike slide outwards; first the front tire, then the rear. There is no solution other than to wear protective gear (especially textile or leather pants for the slide on your butt), and pay close attention to the road surface in your path. Ride safe.
We should all use the utmoist caution when crossing a wet manhole 'cover.

Also gusty winds can be a major PITA. Slides the rear tire right out from under but the bike seems to handle them well enough to right itself quickly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts