Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mainly plan on using mine around town and cruising the backroads. Once in awhile we head up to Wisconsin on the highways, traffics not really bad up there. Just hoping to hear how the bike handles in the 65mph-75mph range on the highways from the new owners.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I'm doing the slow break in, but my first impression was that it will work great. Didn't have any scary feeling like this is too whimpy, or too light, or gets blown around. Plenty of power to do 60 and 70 didn't push past there, but it will easily.

It has a pleasant hum/drone. Starts getting buzzy in the grips and pegs about 70, maybe 7.6 rpm. Nice clean wind, but not much protection.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I think it has impressive straight line performance on the highway. It seems to get real stable going fast. You can definitely make it go faster if you lie down on the tank and get out of the wind and slower if you sit upright.

Sixth gear comes unto its own above 6k and it's easy to stay with the flow of traffic. Short connecting trips on the highway are absolutely no problem for this little dude. It wouldn't be my choice for a long highway commute, as there is some buzz to it.

For casual adventuring it's fine. If your going to do major cross country runs, that will probably take some training. ;)

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good to hear. The wifes GZ250 pretty much was tapped out at 70 on the highway. Since I gave her the Sportster just wanted to make sure the CBR could handle it. When I ride with her 65 would be the top speed anyway.

·
Registered
619 Posts
onroadzone has a video of the CBR250R that shows 143kmh or about 85 in 5th. 0-60 7.6 and quarter mile 16.1/124kmh or 74.4mph.

Looks like you'll be just getting into 4th when hitting 70 in a hurry.

·
Registered
619 Posts
How long can you cruise at such a high RPM? I just want to be able to cruise at 65mph comfortably.
I guess until you run out of gas; I don't think high rpm hurt these modern motors.

65-70 seems the perfect speed for these long distance, and if you need to, drop down to 4th and go!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I didn't have any problems keeping up with Sacramento, CA traffic. 70 was effortless if a little buzzy but not bad at all. It's also a lane splitting wizard, even better than my CBR1000. I had no problems accelerating quickly from 65 to pass, even in 6th gear. The bike required some recalibration for me because you have to get used to the motor spinning so high.

·
281 Posts
Interesting that the magazine reviews have indicated that actual mph/kph are close to the bike clock reading. Yet all the actual owner indications are that the clock reads about 10% high. Multiple owner reviews using a GPS to show actual speed are verifying this. So you need to take that into account when riding.......

·
281 Posts
I didn't have any problems keeping up with Sacramento, CA traffic. 70 was effortless if a little buzzy but not bad at all. It's also a lane splitting wizard, even better than my CBR1000. I had no problems accelerating quickly from 65 to pass, even in 6th gear. The bike required some recalibration for me because you have to get used to the motor spinning so high.
KVR, thanks for your input. I'd say this is very encouraging especially from a safety aspect. And to put a smile on your face..........

·
Registered
619 Posts
>>The CBR, in fact, conjures up sweet memories of one of the best backroad Hondas of all time, the dearly departed Hawk GT (a 650cc V-Twin that made about twice the power, weighed 56 pounds more and sold for $4 less in 1988).
>>The CBR just plain works better everywhere, eliciting more toothy grins wherever it goes. On the spec chart, it’s about as impressive as, well, as a 250-Single-powered sportbike. On the road, this little Thumper might be the best two-wheel thing Honda’s done for motorcycling in a long time, *plus you can get three or four of them for the price of a DN-01. Things are looking up.
Kawasaki Ninja 250R vs. Honda CBR250R Review- Sportbike Comparison Test

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've been riding on I-59 at 75mph and 8K rpm. I tried to see how fast my bike would go once so I had the throttle opened up all the way and it had just hit 89mph when I started up a small bridge. The slight incline was too much and it started slowing down. Nevertheless, it has absolutely no problem running at 75 mph.
The other thing is the wind. I'm new to bikes so whenever Im on a bridge prcome into a clearing, the gust from the side freaks me out a little so I lean forward on the tank which seems to help with stability and performance.

·
Registered
56 Posts
KVR, thanks for your input. I'd say this is very encouraging especially from a safety aspect. And to put a smile on your face..........
I'm glad my input is helpful. I think qlred is right about this being the best two wheel thing Honda has done in a long time, though I'm pretty partial to my '06 CBR1000.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I got on this morning and I had to let it rip to get into traffic. This little bike moves pretty good, at least as good as my small car.

I'm just more and more impressed each time I ride it. I think its a lot more fun on the back roads than it is on the big highway, but it will definitely get you where you want to go.

·
Registered
108 Posts
i ride abt 60km daily to work, if the weather permits. with 10km town roads and the balance on highway. stop start is a whizz.. the amt of torque is just tremendous. on highways i maintained 130 - 150 kmh.. and i tried to maintain a rpm of 8k - 10k as much as possible... still getting myself familiarize witht his bike....

·
Registered
619 Posts
i ride abt 60km daily to work, if the weather permits. with 10km town roads and the balance on highway. stop start is a whizz.. the amt of torque is just tremendous. on highways i maintained 130 - 150 kmh.. and i tried to maintain a rpm of 8k - 10k as much as possible... still getting myself familiarize witht his bike....
It really goes after 8k, there is not much pull in higher gears below 5K. But it sure does like to spin up top.

·
745 Posts
Thanks, qlred!

Hadn't seen that review. really looking forward to getting the CBR in a week or two....

Luke

·
Registered
619 Posts
well, I think you will just love it, the bike does it all.

Up against the wind, going up hill, the bike seemed to like 5th @8100 doing about 65mph. I have to crouch down, out of the wind, a lot on the highway.

It's so loud in the wind, I've started always wearing earplugs.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts