Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious to know if it's OK to ride the bike on the highway during the break in period. :confused: I may need to ride my bike to the dealer to get some work done on it and most of it will be on the highway (about 20 miles). I have searched and read all the threads regarding the different perspectives on breaking in the bike. After reading everything, I am going to take it easy on the bike for the first 300 miles as stated in the manual. With that being said, I am afraid that highway speeds will take my RPMs too high for the break in period. I have not taken the bike over 45 mph yet since all my riding has been on local streets. At highway speeds, what is the normal RPM while cruising in 6th?

What are your thoughts? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!!

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Take it on the highway but vary the speed which will vary the rpms. Where I live I must travel highway speeds everywhere thus, my break in required highway speeds.

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
There's NO recommendations by Honda about keeping the engine below ANY rpm.

All you have to do is avoid full throttle starts and rapid acceleration. Why are you keeping it in low rpms?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Don't read the "break in" threads. They'll do your head in.

Do read the section on "running in" on or about page 59 of your Owner's Manual.

Go for a ride to clear your head.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
ride it

I had to ride mine home right off the showroom. 160 miles from an out of town dealer and I had the same reservations. All highway. I was eventually told to quit whining and ride it like I stole it. Warm the bike carefully and then just ride it trying to vary the rpm whenever possible. 20 miles is nothing to worry about. 66mph indicated is 7000rpm indicated. Which is 67 mph actual and 6700 rpm actual on my bike.

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
Brand new bike, let the engine get to riding temp before riding.

Many will disagree on how it should then be ridden, so I'll skip that part.

Ride for 20 minutes or so then stop to let the engine cool down a bit.

I'd repeat this 2-3 times.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the feedback guys! I was only concerned since the manual says ride "conservatively" and I just wasn't sure if that meant to keep the RPMs low or below a certain RPM. The manual is so vague and with all the differing opinions out there, I just wanted to make sure I was doing what's best for the cee bee!

BTW, I'm taking the cee bee to the dealer to get a lowering kit installed, so my wife can build her confidence riding it. I plan on raising it back to the factory height once she becomes a better/more comfortable rider. She passed her MSF course on a Honda Rebel so there's some getting used to for her on the higher seat height with the cee bee. I think the kit should bring it down by 2", which will still be about 1.5" higher than the Rebel.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback guys! I was only concerned since the manual says ride "conservatively" and I just wasn't sure if that meant to keep the RPMs low or below a certain RPM. The manual is so vague and with all the differing opinions out there, I just wanted to make sure I was doing what's best for the cee bee!

BTW, I'm taking the cee bee to the dealer to get a lowering kit installed, so my wife can build her confidence riding it. I plan on raising it back to the factory height once she becomes a better/more comfortable rider. She passed her MSF course on a Honda Rebel so there's some getting used to for her on the higher seat height with the cee bee. I think the kit should bring it down by 2", which will still be about 1.5" higher than the Rebel.

Thanks again!
Make sure to get a different side stand if you lower it. My bike isn't lowered at all and it stands pretty straight when on the side stand and sometimes it feels like I have to lean it to the left in order to pick up the stand and start riding. It makes me question the stability of the bike sometimes on windy days...

On the break-in topic: I would say make sure to be easy on the throttle both ways (don't do hard take-offs, but don't roll off the throttle hard either).

·
Registered
426 Posts
As others have said. just follow what the honda manual says. No where does it say to keep it below a certain rpm. For me i picked it up on a friday and on sunday was on the hwy. That said. i havent pushed the bike too hard and wont until after the first service. I made sure to keep the rpm no higher than 8000. Which is nice because in 6th gear at 7000rpm i am moving at around 115kph. i have read its more important to vary the rpms and not stay at one speed for too long, so i will speed up/slow down every few minutes.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've broken-in 8 dirt bikes, a cruiser and now my CBR250R. I ran them all the way I wanted to run them but made sure that i vary the revs and minimize red-lining them. It is also very important to warm up first before riding and let them cool down after 1 hour of continuous running if you had to ride them for more than an hour.

All of them were great-running motorcycles after the break-in period so I guess I did not do anything wrong with them.:D

·
Registered
305 Posts

Thanks again!
How did lowering it work out? I am only 5'4'' and I can touch both feet down but not flat footed. I've never ridden and I'm really nervous about not being able to put both feet flat. I'm taking the riding course in a couple weeks. They teach on Rebels as well. I've sat on one and they're very comfortable and I feel more confident that way. But everyone talks about how when you lower it, it rides like crap. So I wanna know, how did your wife like it and how tall is she? Just trying to get some opinions from ppl who actually lowered it and rode it. Thanks!

ALSO, I am worried about breaking my bike in. I plan to ride it to school but it is ALL highway. I understand the concept of breaking it in and giving it time to warm up etc. So riding it hwy speeds wont hurt it at all? If that's the case, I've been worrying for days for nothing. lol

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
I'm 5'5" and only my toes touch the ground. The bike is quite light. I have no problems what so ever, however my riding experience involved much heavier bikes. Just a suggestion, before considering lowering the bike, complete your MSF course then ride the ceebee. You may find there is no need to lower the bike. If you keep your eyes straight ahead you will find you can one foot it easily and the bike won't go down as your front wheel tends to turn where you look. Hence, eyes straight.....front wheel straight. Keep this in mind for controlled starts and tops. Just a suggestion:D

Many girls who are vertically challenged ride this and heavier bikes and encounter no problems or need to lower.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Dealer said keep it below 6000 or some other BS. I just did what the owner's manual said. But by the time 100 miles came around I had to go onto the highway, so I just started opening the bike up quite a bit. Didn't redline it, but didn't baby anything. Then a bit before 300 miles I took a trip to MD and back.

Don't worry too much about break-in and more about the ride.:) Your bike will be fine. There's too much emphasis on break-in everywhere. Just ride it.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Thanks you guys. I didn't plan on doing anything until after the course anyways. No need to rush and spend money right away. I was gonna have it lowered before I brought it home but then I looked online and decided against it. But now I second guess myself. It's really a confidence issue I guess. Just worried bc the MSF course is on a Rebel. Which is comfortable but sits completely different than the CBR. Just worried I'm gonna fall over or end up dropping it. But I will def take your advice and just stare straight ahead. And yes, I have "inseam envy" of everyone. haha. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
The Rebel is a cake bike and should be very easy for you to ride. Yea don't drop the bike, the class I took as a refresher consisted of 8 women that had zero experience riding. Not one of them dropped the bike. Putting your foot down is better than dropping the bike. Dropping will result in an automatic failure if it occurs during the riding test. I took mine home with 4 miles and now I have 800 of pure highway commuting miles.

People worry tooooooooooo much. Just ride it and enjoy the experience.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Thanks you guys. I didn't plan on doing anything until after the course anyways. No need to rush and spend money right away. I was gonna have it lowered before I brought it home but then I looked online and decided against it. But now I second guess myself. It's really a confidence issue I guess. Just worried bc the MSF course is on a Rebel. Which is comfortable but sits completely different than the CBR. Just worried I'm gonna fall over or end up dropping it. But I will def take your advice and just stare straight ahead. And yes, I have "inseam envy" of everyone. haha. Thanks again!
Don't stress yourself out. Hopefully you'll have the opportunity to ride several styles of bikes during the course, and it will benefit you. The rebel is much lower, but raked out more than the cbr. Steering and balance will feel a bit different but I can safely hazzard a guess you will prefer the 250 as the front wheel is more under you than the rebels will be. When riding you will feel more at "one" with the bike. Cruisers and sport bikes are different rides but at the end of the day you will learn. Remember, droppin a bike is a part of learning, just get it over with on the schools bike and not yours lol. Anyone who says in their years of riding history has never dopped a bike is more than likely fibbing or a 'riding savant" :D

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hiway Break-in? Don't worry about it, just don't redline it and don't ride it like it is on cruise-control. Last time I broke in a bike, it was all hiway. I would just vary the speed from 55-70 every few minutes. No aggressive starts/stops, etc. Remember it isn't just the engine you are breaking in, brakes, tires, everything needs a little work.

As far as seat height, this bike is already low. When I got my Triumph Daytona 675, the prior owner was really short and had it lowered about 3", it was nice at first, as I have a 29" inseam and the bike normally is about 32.5". I rode it that way for a month and then raised it back up. I just liked the way it felt, even though it meant I never could get both feet down. I learned to stand on one foot without any issues.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts