Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I cant wait for abs... lol I want a bike tomorrow!

I dont know what to get for coverage. Can I have some guidance? I have no accidents or tix at 30 y.o. I know you can fudge some stuff- rider for x amount of years, blah blah

I think I don't want full coverage. Its a 4k bike. If something catastrophic happens, I could eat the cost. I still have my car.

I got a quote with progressive as follows:
15/30/10 Bodily Injury/Property damage
15/30 Uninsured motorist bodily/property
25 Medical payments

All for about 455 a year (about 36 dollars a month). If I add full coverage with 500 dollar deductables, it pretty much doubles.

What should I do?

·
Registered
681 Posts
I have State Farm. I have pretty much the same coverage as what you have quoted here except, I don't carry uninsured motorist or medical (that's why I have health insurance). I'm paying a little over $11 (US) a month.

I'm older than you (45) and I don't have any tickets or accidents on my record but I'll bet you State Farm could give you a better rate.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well I cant wait for abs... lol I want a bike tomorrow!

I dont know what to get for coverage. Can I have some guidance? I have no accidents or tix at 30 y.o. I know you can fudge some stuff- rider for x amount of years, blah blah

I think I don't want full coverage. Its a 4k bike. If something catastrophic happens, I could eat the cost. I still have my car.

I got a quote with progressive as follows:
15/30/10 Bodily Injury/Property damage
15/30 Uninsured motorist bodily/property
25 Medical payments

All for about 455 a year (about 36 dollars a month). If I add full coverage with 500 dollar deductables, it pretty much doubles.

What should I do?
What you should do is get insurance from some one else. I have found that progressive is usually the most expensive coverage. I got quotes from Geico, State farm and 21st Century and Progressive. They were all similar except Progressive who was considerably higher than all the others. The same is true for my car as well.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's not really high. I was playing around with the numbers and what's expensive is the medical coverage. 25k worth. Geico only goes up to 2k for medical coverage- whats that, an ambulance ride?

I don't have medical insurance, I am not working and going to school. (I do have income from savings and post military income). So its worth it me to pay more for medical. I can easily get a $200 policy, but it won't have the medical coverage I want.

·
Registered
385 Posts
It's not really high. I was playing around with the numbers and what's expensive is the medical coverage. 25k worth. Geico only goes up to 2k for medical coverage- whats that, an ambulance ride?

I don't have medical insurance, I am not working and going to school. (I do have income from savings and post military income). So its worth it me to pay more for medical. I can easily get a $200 policy, but it won't have the medical coverage I want.
Since you've got to have the medical you're probably doing as wel as you can.
I would, however, as a much better alternative check into a high deductible medical plan. I'm 47, have a couple medical conditions and I pay $189 a month to Kaiser. The deductible is almost 6k but the point is to protect me for catastrophic (6 figure or 7 figure) loss. That 25k of medical that you're getting with the motorcycle plan won't go far if you're in a bad wreck and high deductible plan will still cover out to a million (or maybe unlimited with the new regs) no mater waht happens to you - on the bike or off. Of course no one wants to be stuck with 5-6k in bills but that can be negotiated and paid over time. Getting minimal protection with a low deductible really isn't worth the money as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Progressive is cheapest

Progressive is the cheapest for bikes by far. I have had my cars with Century21 for years and the bike insurance from Progressive is less than half of what Century21 (Foremost) wanted. It almost blew me out of buying the Honda. I'm paying $402 per year for my Ninja250 and the CBR250R with full coverage on the Honda and with my 20 year old daughter on the Ninja.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Im 40 , no accidents,tickets or insurance claims....I am paying $77 every 6 months for liability and comprehensive with uninsured motorist..no medical payments, adding $5000 medical pmts would have cost about $70 more..

$250 deductibles...Farm Bureau

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow sendler thats crazy low. Where do you live, Alaska? LOL

It wouldn't make financial sense for me to get a separate medical plan. I am 30, pretty healthy. I was in the military for 8 years and I think I missed a grand total of 10 days out of 8 * 365 due to illness. I forgot I still have VA health coverage for another 4 years if I need it. I also have my homeowners that would kick in for me being sued I believe.

Im judging my coverage for being on a 250 though. So thats good..no fast riding, commuting really just back and forth on the highway when I go to school. But since I want to keep riding back and forth to school, I should just get the full. And in California, uninsured motorist is a must.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I hear ya Jello... I just missed my 3rd day of work in 15 years. I have a stupid amount of sick leave saved up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts