Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all
Where to start. Well I dont yet own a Cbr 250r. I am looking into it really. I had a crack at a 125 several years back for a week and LOVED IT. However other bikes filled the void.
I presently ride a Ural 2wd Gear up outfit. It is a massive machine and gets lots of smiles.

Whats got me thinking about this bike is its price, capability, fuel economy and looks. It is a slick looking bike!
Another aspect is the fun factor and revisiting my past. My first bike was a 185 Honda and I absolutely adored that ride. It had more smiles per miles (well the Ural is up there) So going back to that simplicity and fun would be nice.
Also I am hugely fed up with insurance costs and fuel costs. I enjoy my ural but get better gas mileage with my toyota car.

My intended use is
comute
weekend trip to the ADK's (6 hr ride) plus a day of pure mountain riding.

and finally riding some pretty horrible dirt roads.
Thats is an outstanding question for me. How does the bike handle real crap roads (I got rid of a couple of bikes in the past as the suspensions couldnt handle the roads) I am not a huge guy but stand 5'11 and 195lb.

So Ill peruse this site and gather up my winters motorbike research

cheers

·
Registered
131 Posts
Greetings Relic and welcome aboard. Yes, the CBR250R shines at the pumps, and yes it's a great looking bike. As for "pretty horrible dirt roads"; I have ridden a few and the bike did quite well, but it's no dirt bike. If you will be subjecting the bike to frequent large pot holes consider a Kawi KLR or suzuki DS650 or one of the 250 dual sports. But for "pure mountain riding" I think the cbr would be a blast.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Welcome. I am looking to get one of these bikes myself. Very surprised at the relatively large size of the bike. Not too small to make one feel your overwhelming it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I will encounter pot holes and the like but its a small portion of my ride. Dirt roads are more prevailent. The Ural is a tank in that environment but isnt a bike.
I found a decent deal going for a new 11 in red/silver. Ill see whats what when I go sit on it.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Well I will encounter pot holes and the like but its a small portion of my ride. Dirt roads are more prevailent. The Ural is a tank in that environment but isnt a bike.
I found a decent deal going for a new 11 in red/silver. Ill see whats what when I go sit on it.
If you can grab one for $3000 at Brampton, it is a deal you can't pass up.The CBR actually has some decent width to the bars for control on dirt roads. It will cost you $8000 to get anything bigger like a Versys or Vstrom.

·
Registered
427 Posts
The CBR actually does fairly well on dirt roads so long as you ride it within its limitations; tires & suspension. Light weight is it's biggest asset - at least compared to a 600cc+ 'trail bike'.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The CBR actually does fairly well on dirt roads so long as you ride it within its limitations; tires & suspension. Light weight is it's biggest asset - at least compared to a 600cc+ 'trail bike'.
I hear you. Ive had to KLR 650's and a Wee strom. Great bikes that soaked up potholes and the like but I wouldnt really go backwoods bashing with them. I can appreciate the weight savings of the CBR. What would really be interesting from Honda would be a 250 Transalp or Varadaro style bike with panniers or soft bags.. But this CBR looks so **** good!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts