Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
i get my licence in February. I am not sure if the CBR 250R is the right bike for me. I am from Austria. Here is the general speed limit on the Highway 130 kph which is 80.778 mph.
But most people are driving about 140 kph which is 86.992 mph.

I will have to ride for about 45 minutes about two or four times a week on the highway. Most time with 80 - 85 mph. Is this possible in a comfortable way with the Honda CBR 250R?

Greetings, Rain

·
Registered
96 Posts
How tall are you and how much do you weigh?

I've seen a few threads on here regarding Highway riding and your height/weight seem to be the needed variable to answer your question.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I took my first freeway ride today. Granted stayed in the slow lane the whole time, cause its winter and with the wind chill who knows how cold the air is hitting me. It does freeway just fine and I am 135 pds.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts

How much success and security you find on the highway with the CBR250R will depend on how you ride it. 85mph will be top speed on a good day if you don't feel comfortable riding in a tuck and sit straight up. Nothing left to pass or maneuver. 95mph is about the best you can get out of it on level ground using the best tuck but 80 becomes pretty comfortable once you get used to it. Do you really have to run 85mph all the time? The trucks don't travel that fast do they? That is on the edge for this engine.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Most of my riding is highway speds and do not find it a challenge. What helps though is I love my bike. It's the stlyle of the ride I want. One needs to decide what stle of ride they want...ie cruiser, sport, adventure. Then,you make the bike work cause you love it.:D

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am so envious that you live in Austria. What a beautiful place to ride!

I think that you can ride on the highway, but I don't know how much passing you'll be able to do at those speeds since it's near the top end of what the bike can do.

I have had the bike up to 60mph. To hit 80 in a reasonable amount of time I would definitely have to stretch the gears out a little more between shifts.

TLDR: the bike can do what you're asking, but I think the comfortable cruising speed is between 55-65 mph.

·
Registered
164 Posts
With you at 220lbs, the CBR250 might take awhile to accelerate up to 85mph, if it ever gets there. I think you might want to consider a bigger bike, like a Ninja 500, GS500F, or a SV650F. It will give you over twice the HP. You will be at ease crusing at 80 mph with power for passing.

The first bike I bought in my adult life was a 2003 Ducati Monster 620. At 60HP and 5 speed, it does fine cruising at 70mph. The L-twin has plenty of torque that I didn't even need to downshift for passing. You should consider a bike in that range of engine displacement.

Cheers,

·
Registered
455 Posts
this bike works on the freeway, but its not ideal.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Most of my riding is highway speds and do not find it a challenge. What helps though is I love my bike. It's the stlyle of the ride I want. One needs to decide what stle of ride they want...ie cruiser, sport, adventure. Then,you make the bike work cause you love it.:D
Very rarely have more finer words been said on this forum.

Mike

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi,
i get my licence in February. I am not sure if the CBR 250R is the right bike for me. I am from Austria. Here is the general speed limit on the Highway 130 kph which is 80.778 mph.
But most people are driving about 140 kph which is 86.992 mph.

I will have to ride for about 45 minutes about two or four times a week on the highway. Most time with 80 - 85 mph. Is this possible in a comfortable way with the Honda CBR 250R?

Greetings, Rain
I commute 180mi/300km per day (round trip) on a low-traffic stretch of Interstate. I run wide open the entire way. Traffic usually runs about 80mph/133kph and I run slightly faster than that.

The good news is the bike will get you up to the 90mph/150kph mark if you tuck and are on level ground. The bad news is you have nothing left in the motor once you get there. Acceleration is good from 70mph to 80mph but dies off rapidly after that.

The other bad news is you're turning nearly 10,000rpm at top speed, just a hair less than the redline. I can't imagine this is good for the engine long-term. I'm considering longer/taller gearing to bring the revs down a bit but I'm worried it will adversely affect the bike's top speed. I get about 50-55mpg running WOT the whole way. I hear others getting 60-70mpg if they keep the speed down but I have no interest in lengthening the time of my commute :)

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
the suspension feels like a pogo stick and the Stock tires suck....but she can handle the highway :D:D:D:D

2 things already said : you will be at high RPM's and you will have to *uck to reach top speed.:)
*=T :mad:

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
this bike works on the freeway, but its not ideal.
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

got mouse trigger happy.(sorry i live in the U.S.A.) my opinion: this bike was made for the freeway.
tops out past any posted speed limit and no matter how fast you are going , let go of the throttle, and the bike's speed drops off below the speed limit.

......unless you drive on the Autobahn (then, get a S1000rr):D

·
Registered
879 Posts
For those speeds you would want a bigger bike for sure. The big road is not the best place for the little 250. At 85 you would be screaming the hell out of the little motor and I wouldnt want to do that for an extended period of time. Move up you will be glad you did

·
Registered
455 Posts
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

got mouse trigger happy.(sorry i live in the U.S.A.) my opinion: this bike was made for the freeway.
tops out past any posted speed limit and no matter how fast you are going , let go of the throttle, and the bike's speed drops off below the speed limit.

......unless you drive on the Autobahn (then, get a S1000rr):D
Every detail about the cbr 250 design and package says its not made for the freeway. Its a great bike though hella fun! Will be fine on the freeway but avg 80 your at the top of your range. The bike dies after 9k. I have the dyno to prove it. . I mainly ride the freeway at speeds of 75-85. Posted limit is 70. My bike is screaming, my ears are ringing, and im whipping the bike like its a horse on the final stretch asking it for all it has and its still not enough. Meanwhile my buddy next to me on his 600 is in 4th and barely thottling. T

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
This bike is fun, it will break any speed limit, and working it hard is fun.

Corners are where its at anyway.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts