Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having an issue shifting into first gear. Sometimes it does easily, and more often, I have to shift to Neutral to Second. And, then maybe it will cooperate. Any suggestions?:confused:

·
Registered
129 Posts
i have same problem too. when shifting from neutral to 1st gear (from a stop position) can sometimes difficult, and i have to push my bike a little bit forward or backward just to shift the 1st gear.
I think i'm gonna ask the dealer and the mechanic about it on my first dealer service.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Me too, will probably clear up after first oil change. I double clutch it, just let the clutch out a little to turn the tranny, and it goes right in.

·
Registered
111 Posts
i have it as well, i wouldnt call it an 'issue' though... its been like that on most bikes i've owned

when you're stopped completely and in neutral you go to downshift but it stays in neutral? i just let the clutch out a little and it catches first easily :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies and insights. I'm taking the test on this bike so full stop requires being in the right gear. I'm tired of being chaparoned. I need my freedom.

·
281 Posts
It is almost always a good idea to downshift to first before coming to a stop...at an intersection, for example. Keep it in 1st in case you need to move quickly to avoid being rear ended by the oblivious texting cage...........

·
Registered
14 Posts
I get this on V-strom too on occasion. More of feature than a fault as such, can possibly be overcome by use of the clutch or being in 1st before you reach a stop, as others have suggested. Most bikes I've owned have had a bit of clunk at very least when shifting into first from neutral, especially when hot.

Been reading a bit more on this, it is indeed a common feature of many bikes! One of many such "clunk" threads I've found on the matter:

eg: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-676351.html

There seems to be many theories on a solution: fresh synthetic oil (obviously not an issue with a new CBR), not babying your gear changes, not releasing the clutch when in neutral for a short time, reducing the idle speed to minimum. Lots of ideas out there, most pointing to this probably not being a fault, more of a design feature that can be solved by altering your gear engagement / clutch technique. I'll experiment with a few of the suggestions on my V-strom and see if there a definitive answer for me. I'm sure in my bikes case (clutch properly adjusted with newish oil) it's something to do with the gearbox still spinning internally as I try to shift from neutral to first.

In summary I think the people who aren't having this problem are just doing things right (naturally or by accident) and the rest of us need to experiment a bit more, once you've eliminated the obvious like the clutch cable having too much free play (the first thing you should check).

·
Registered
928 Posts
It is almost always a good idea to downshift to first before coming to a stop...at an intersection, for example. Keep it in 1st in case you need to move quickly to avoid being rear ended by the oblivious texting cage...........
Excellent advice. Also watch your mirrors and flash your brake light if a cars coming up behind you.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I had too had problems with my former cbr125rw gearshift, i learned that i had to change gear firm, but gently - listen to the engine when you shift to 1 gear.
it require a bit of practise, MAYBE its just about practise for you?

Compared to the 250 and the 125, theres a big difference, its much much better on the 250.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I appreciate all the insight shared. I live in a high congestion/traffic area with uncompassionate drivers. No first gear on a full stop, means I don't get a license. So, I am dealer bound for a mechanical remedy. Failure is not an option.

·
Registered
130 Posts
This is normal. Don't panic people. When going from N to 1st Gear AT FULL STOP, you sometimes just have to move the bike a little forward or backward to get into gear. Usually I just leave it in 1st gear, I only go on N if the light takes a while to change.

·
Registered
19 Posts
im having no trouble. if your changing at the lights before the light changes roll it forward so the gear clicks in (N-1st).

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm having an issue too, just can't get it right between 1st and N. although when my friend tried it, he got it right 95% of the time, and for me it was more like 40%. lol. It's little about the right touch too.

When you are stopped I noticed from N you can go into 1st or 2nd. My friend's 2001 Ninja 500R doesn't do that, it only goes 1st or N when you are stopped. Going into 2nd is not an option.

I think I would prefer that if you were stopped it should go 1st or N, not 2nd, little easier for a learner but I guess mechanics are different.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The other issue I had, that was little more of a worry was when I was in about 3rd or 4th, I made an emergency stop without shifting down (not the best practice but it could happen).

I then couldn't get back into 1st, it seems the bike was just stuck in the higher gears and I had to get it going like that... I gotta try this out again and learn little more how it behaves, but does that sound normal?

·
Registered
928 Posts
Heehaw, sounds like operator error. Just need to practice and get used to it. Ive never had a bike that wouldnt let you shift into 2nd. I have a slight hill on my driveway and sometimes I put it into 2nd from N then coast down the driveway. As I hit the road Im goin to fast for 1st.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I get this on V-strom too on occasion. More of feature than a fault as such, can possibly be overcome by use of the clutch or being in 1st before you reach a stop, as others have suggested.
Nonsense! Do not let anyone tell you not being able to pick a gear is 'a feature' or that it 'can be overcome' - that's not the point. What *is* the point is that the function of the gearbox is to switch between gears, including neutral, and including at standstill. If it isn't doing that, it is broken, period.

It certainly is common on many bikes, I know that from experience! But that doesn't make it right and we really shouldn't have to put up with it, as other bikes demonstrate clearly it *is* possible to have a properly functioning gearbox.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts