Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, im still pretty new to riding and motorbikes in general. Bought a pretty old bike, the cbr250F 1986 model, and every so often it just dies on me. It seems like the battery isnt holding charge.
I took it for a spin 2 weeks ago, it was sweet. No drama, everythings working well.
Then 2 days later went to take it out again, and everytime i eased off the throttle it would die mid ride, and id have to just hope it would turn over again as im rolling. Now i cant turn it on again, tried hill starting it but no good. Is this a battery problem?

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Hi Monz and welcome to the forum.
This site is dedicated to the 2011+ model of the CBR250 (MC41) so most people here won't be familiar with your bike.
If you don't get a good answer here you might want to try it again at this site: CBR250 Forums

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Hey, im still pretty new to riding and motorbikes in general. Bought a pretty old bike, the cbr250F 1986 model, and every so often it just dies on me. It seems like the battery isnt holding charge.
I took it for a spin 2 weeks ago, it was sweet. No drama, everythings working well.
Then 2 days later went to take it out again, and everytime i eased off the throttle it would die mid ride, and id have to just hope it would turn over again as im rolling. Now i cant turn it on again, tried hill starting it but no good. Is this a battery problem?
Our focus here is the CBR250R, but your problem is pretty general.

Most likely it's a battery issue, but you need to use a multimeter to know.

Read the voltage before you try to start it. You should get 12.7V or more if it's fully charged. If not, charge it.

Once it's fully charged, check the voltage again when you hit the starter button. When you do, you should still get over 10V while the engine is cranking - or a lot less if it won't.

The other issue, if the battery checks out, would be the charging system. Simple check for that, again with the multimeter, is to check it before starting, then check it at idle. Voltage at idle should be over voltage before starting, and around 13V. Then rev it to 4000-5000 RPMs and hold it there while checking. You should see about 14V or slightly more. If there is a problem you will be getting low 13V numbers.

If you get way higher, like 15 to 16V, you have a problem with the Regulator/Rectifier (R/R) and it will fry the battery.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Why don't you to do some customization, get rid of too old things and add some new twist. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts