Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Honda CBR250R compared to SH300i?

8K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Antbanks 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I know this is an unfair comparison, since the CBR250R is a motorcycle and the SH300i is a scooter for old lads and people who don't know how to use a clutch ;)

To be serious: I'm not sure what to buy, a CBR250R or a SH300i. The CBR is a MOTORCYCLE, so that's a great plus in terms of looks, sportiness and contact to driving due to manual shifting.
The Honda SH300i, is Honda's best selling scooter in Europe, together with the smaller SH125i. It puts out 27 hps, has a slightly better acceleration than the CBR250R, has the agility of a motorcycle due to 16" wheels, and is EASY TO RIDE due to automatic shifting.

Besides all theory: Do we have anybody here who has driven both types of 2-wheelers and can enlighten me on his experience?

Here's some pictures of the beauty and the beast (or, well, the kitty):

Background: I'm looking for a fun bike to cruise around countryside roads, with easy handling, lightweight, and sufficinet acceleration. From this undemanding point of view, the comparison might not be as unfair as it first seems. ;)

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I have ridden neither but I think either one would be fine for cruising the back roads you mention. The CBR is more in line with aiding new riders to gain the confidence to step up to a larger bike. If you don't need it for that purpose than...

...the scooter is better suited as a people transport and would take away the work of minding a clutch/transmission - which would still be a hoot to have fun on. :)

What is the MSRP price difference between the two where you live?

edit...
Wow! It looks like the MSRP is significantly higher on the scooter compared to the CBR with ABS. Ouch!

In the U.S. we only get the 153cc version of that scooter and the 2010 MSRP for the smaller 150 version scooter is the same as the CBR with ABS in the U.S.

Of course if you really just want a fun bike for cruising as you stated then you can't go wrong saving some money and buying the bike your saying looks cooler. :rolleyes:

#3 ·
The sh300i will pretty much stomp the cbr250 for acceleration and speed. It has better weather protection by any margin and can carry much more cargo. It also has better in city attributes, being a scooter. It gets less mileage and doesn't need chain lubing.

I don't like riding scooters of that style over sixty or so, and I do like hugging the tank on the cbr250 at speed in the wind. The scooter will beat the crap out of you compared to the bike. The bike is more compliant and you can raise up in the pegs. The cbr is more robust, with bigger tires that won't skip and skitter as much.

The cbr is more fun for me, cornering is more precise, engaging and rewarding. There is no clearance problems and you can go faster through anything.

They are both great bikes. If I could I would ride the cbr in summer and the 300 in winter. I have a SYM HD200 that has served me well but is not quite fast enough for the highway here. I think the MC will be cheaper to run. GL

#4 · (Edited)
Thanks a lot for the replies. Seems I'm not the typical supersport motorcycle driver, so the SH300i large-wheeled scooter is my current favorite.

I've done a business trip to Barcelona this weekend, the city with the second-highest density of scooters and motorcycles in Europe.
That gave me the chance to see the Honda SH300i in action. The scooter was literally everywhere, not a minute without seeing one of these (or the weaker SH125i) on the main roads.

What can I say? The slim-lined scooters easily maneuver through dense traffic in downtown, but also keep up very well on highways due to the relatively strong engine and great agility.
(and at the slightest stop, overtake cars left and right, but this is Spain where people drive suicidal anyway)

Clear disadvantage: The MSRP of the SH300i actually is a lot higher than that of the CBR250R.
In Germany, it's € 5.390 (SH300i) to € 4.490 (CBR250R) - more than $ 1.200 difference to the disadvantage of the SH300i.

BUT: I've checked Honda prices in Spain. Stupid enough, they don't sell the CBR250R there yet, but the SH300i comes at discounted € 4.590 there, so only € 100 more than the CBR250R here in Germany.
As chance would have it, I'm working as a tour operator bringing tourists to Spain, so I'll have the chance to import the scooter basically at no expenses piggyback on one of our tour buses.

Nice vid showing a SH300i in downtown traffic in my fav color:

Vid demonstrating the outstanding acceleration:

I think I'm sold on it. :)

#6 ·
that scooter looks way cool and most have room under the seat to put a sixer of whatever you please, and some..ive put some miles on a scooter when on the outerbanks n.c. and it was an awesome mode of transport and very utilitarian..ive got a cbr 250 so my opinion is swayed that way, but before i got this bike i almost got a scooter.

#7 · (Edited)
Sh300i will probably be the best seller scooter EVER.
Since it is good for dudes who adopt "mine is bigger/faster/cooler than yours" philosophy (but not as much as Yamaha T-max)
and for highway commuters/travellers who spend a lot of time struggling in traffic-jams for their way to the office.

It's very handling, not too heavy, more than enough powerful.
I usually ride the weaker Sh125i, it's kind of unbeatable in the city with 33 km/l average.
But do not forget it is a scooter (matter of suspension, high speed turns, bouncy adjustment after road dumps and whatsoever)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.