Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Honda CBR250R luggage problem solved!

9K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  llory 
#1 ·
Hi - just got my Honda CBR250R 6 weeks ago, living on Bali this is the perfect size for the roads and the traffic (have given up on bigger bikes due to traffic - it can be as bad as being in a car!). The problem was I couldn't figure out a nice looking, ready made solution for hard cases. So I went to the Givi reps, and finally picked out panniers I liked (VR35s) and top box. Then we set to work modifying the racks. They said it would take about 3 hours. 3 hours later we finally paid a visit to a welder (funky shop but the guy was an amazing wiz) who put it together in another 3 hours. First the stock monoracks from Givi went on - these are the "mainframe" of the whole set up. Then we added the racks for the side panniers. The top box light got connected to the brake lights. As the VR35s don't have connectors for indicators we had to modify the indicators up under the top box where they are clearly visible. Then it was off on a road trip around Bali with my cameras and gear!

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Rio, you can modify the title of the thread yourself.

Nice solution! Since you have access to the Givi reps, can you persuade them to design and produce the hardware for the panniers for the bike? I know that I personally would love to add them to my bike in the future, and i'm sure that there are plenty of other people in the world who would do the same.

#7 ·
Sendler: I mounted them to the rack for the top box. I also reinforced that rack from below because the top box kept bouncing away so we just added those tow pieces and attached them to the VR35 racks (not too pretty but it was 5pm and we'd been at it all day, ran out of tubular steel - ok so I caved in :) ) See images

bungie4 - totally. I don't know what they are waiting for. Maybe I should sell them a patent for it LOL (that's 3 days R&D!!!)

llory - can't figure out how to modify the title on this forum... :( As to the Givi reps, they really are just local reps connected to the Givi shop. Friendly and helpful, but in the end I was lucky because skilled craftsmen are relatively cheap on Bali. I wouldn't want to be paying western rates for what we went through mucking around. Again, there really is no good reason Givi can't simply design the side pannier racks to hook on to the monorack which I bolted on to the pillion foot rest and the bolt holes for the grab handles.

Attachments

#11 ·
@Ibex - I actually got the idea from the VFR1200f Interceptor panniers (see pic)They wouldn't be so large if I could have tucked them in a bit more but the muffler got in the way of the right side pannier, so had to move them a tad back and out. I think on some other honda touring models the panniers on the right are molded for the muffler so they sit right in. This is the best I could do and still get the space I need (i'm a photographer)

So yeah @qlred you gotta be careful how you load them weight wise. LOL First time I took off with a full load I completely forgot and started laying into a left hand curve, and suddenly when I leaned past a certain point the bike started dropping - had to pull out (a tad wobbly) good thing no one coming the other way was to close. Must have looked strange!!! The other thing about loading the left hand is that taaaalllll kick stand which sometimes feels a bit fragile. The p pegs so far seems ok but time will tell. The monoracks seem fairly solid and distribute the weight. fingers crossed.

Attachments

#12 ·
@Ibex250R - just realised also the shot of the bike parked in front of the rice fields that I posted was shot with wide angle from higher up, it exaggerates the size of the panniers etc. I guess I should do some serious shots of the bike!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.