Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hmmm, black probe should go to ground.
Where do you have other probe touching?

Diode also looks like it's installed backwards.
Black-stripe should face +12v power wire.
Other end should connect to pink wire going to ECU.
Which looks to be missing from ignition-switch..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I fixed the pink wire but still nothing. Tested my diode as you sad and it showed 12v. Look in pic where i connect wire, it dose not mater black to ground or red, it shows the same 12v not 9v. Diode position i didnt change.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Diode needs to be flipped, it's backwards.

Zener diodes work similar to regular diodes. They conduct ALL power unimpeded in forward direction. And block it in other. Zener will not block ALL power in reverse direction like regular diode. Instead above its break-down voltage, it will conduct limited amount across. Sapping some of input power.

That's why you're measuring 12v instead of 9v. Diode is connected in forward direction instead of reverse.

Show photo of how you have pink wire attached and how you're measuring voltage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found the problem with 9v batterie as that guy suggested. The diode is broken and i ordered a new one. The bike started with 9v batterie without problem.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Cause and effect if you know difference. Lack of 9v on pink wire is not the problem, it's just effect of problem. Real issue is your diode is installed incorrectly in forward-bias direction and it doesn't reduce voltage going to ECU. Here's correct orientation, can you see difference?

In order for zener diodes to reduce voltage, you have to orient them in reverse-bias with black-stripe aimed towards +12v input and their output will be 9v. Read up on how zeners work here: https://www.circuitbread.com/tutorials/what-is-a-zener-diode-and-how-does-it-work

Here's guy that did it right: Cbr900rrw (UK) - No Spark - CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners "Mains power to black side of the diode, other side of the diode direct into the pink wire on the harness. "

If you replace diode and aim it backwards, it will still give you 12v and bike won't run.

BTW - busted diode conducts zero electricity and measures 0v. Yours works fine, it's just installed backwards.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts