1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
US v Imperial gallons

when did this figure jump from 64mpg?
1 US gallon = 0.83 Imperial gallon

77 mpg x 0.83 = 64 mpg

Reports on the CBR 250 in use are in keeping with this. A bit more ridden moderately; a bit less ridden hard.

·
Registered
272 Posts
That's probably on the flat & not revving past 6k as you ride. Highly unlikely except maybe during break in. & weighing 100 lbs.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
That's probably on the flat & not revving past 6k as you ride. Highly unlikely except maybe during break in. & weighing 100 lbs.
There don't seem to be many on this forum from Thailand, but on another there are guys who have had their CBR250R for a couple of months now, and are typically reporting 30 km/l (67 mpg, US) plus, dropping a bit below that at 120 - 130 km/h (75 - 80mph) or faster. I saw a road test done in the US where spirited riding yielded 56 mpg, US.

It seems to be a benefit of the single cylinder, PGM-FI, and low revs (compared to the Ninja), and the like. Time will tell how it shapes up under US conditions, but I reckon the quoted figures are easily achievable.

·
Registered
529 Posts
1 US gallon = 0.83 Imperial gallon

77 mpg x 0.83 = 64 mpg

Reports on the CBR 250 in use are in keeping with this. A bit more ridden moderately; a bit less ridden hard.
The Powerhouse Honda information shows MPG figures that reflect U.S. gallons so the 77 mpg figure is already in U.S. gallons, not imperial gallons based on my understanding. This figure is not unreasonable, and does jibe with the information on Yamaha's American site for the fuel-injected WR250R dual-sport single that advertises a figure of 71 mpg (U.S.) EPA for that bike.

2011 Yamaha WR250R Home, information

The corresponding figure in imperials gallons is 85 mpg as advertised on the Yamaha Canada site.

YAMAHA MOTOR CANADA | 2011 WR250R

Yes - numerous reports on Thai forums claim that the CBR250R has been consistently returning fuel-economy figures of around 3.0L/100KM (which coincidentally works out to about 77 mpg U.S.) at highway speeds and higher out on the open road. Interestingly, the above figure is not far off from SportRider’s recent comparison that yielded an average fuel-economy of 70mpg for the CBR250R (and a dismal 46mpg for the Ninja 250R) after their requisite flogging. Popular Mechanics's recent comparison test returned a similar figure of 71 mpg for the CBR250R. Rider magazine also tested the CBR250R against the Ninja 250R and after a "day-long dual" that typically involves flogging the bikes, the CBR250R yielded 65mpg, while the Ninja 250R yielded......50mpg....which prompted the magazine to comment “Economy and entertainment run neck-and-neck with the CBR". The above tests certainly suggest that 77mpg (U.S.) is achievable if you are a little more gentle with your right wrist.

Mike

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well compared to my former cbr125rw, it did OVER 42 km/liter when driving behind a truck on highway (my distance to truck about 80-100 meter) and driving between 80-100kmt *boooring* :) or on a sunny day with barely no wind.

I guess it could do close to 44 km/ liter if i bothered to drive to empty tank

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
I'm just back from 2 days of 150kph highway cruising.

Didn't pay any attention to the fuel economy, but it sure wasn't 33kmp/l. :D

Usually though if pottering about without excessive speed you'll get 30-33kmp/l.

BTW, have 8500km on the CBR and it's an absolute little monster of a thing. I went for a nice 2 day ride and now, from a nice hard break in it has gone on to destroy everything on the highway, not one vehicle managed to pass it over 800km on what was pretty much empty 3 laned highway. The bike laps it up at 150kph (93mph) at 9000rpm and feels completely safe and sturdy in doing so. That's with a normal riding position and not ducking down onto the tank. The bike is still stock, but my word it's a machine and a half.

Don't know about US highways, but if the traffic is averaging 130kph (80mph) you'll be blasting past 'em, just get the engine broken in nice and hard.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I wouldnt say 77 MPG i'd would prob expect to range 55-68MPG judging on your riding style and how throttle happy you might get sometimes. The avg MPG that we should get shouldnt be too bad.

But i agree i cannot wait till we get them here!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Funny to see how things change, Honda couldnt sell enough of the old cbr 250r back then, which was a beast, what i know of it could reach close to 200kmt.

Today speed isnt everything :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Big reason why I wanted to get this bike, so I didnt have to feed the pump to fill up my truck all the time, and now having to wait to mid summer really kills it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm just back from 2 days of 150kph highway cruising.

Didn't pay any attention to the fuel economy, but it sure wasn't 33kmp/l. :D

Usually though if pottering about without excessive speed you'll get 30-33kmp/l.

BTW, have 8500km on the CBR and it's an absolute little monster of a thing. I went for a nice 2 day ride and now, from a nice hard break in it has gone on to destroy everything on the highway, not one vehicle managed to pass it over 800km on what was pretty much empty 3 laned highway. The bike laps it up at 150kph (93mph) at 9000rpm and feels completely safe and sturdy in doing so. That's with a normal riding position and not ducking down onto the tank. The bike is still stock, but my word it's a machine and a half.

Don't know about US highways, but if the traffic is averaging 130kph (80mph) you'll be blasting past 'em, just get the engine broken in nice and hard.
Hey Redline, awesome to hear that from you. Will you please post some photos of your cbr if possible.

wanted to ask a question: how controlled are the vibes from the body at high speeds?? does the counterbalancer really work?? Pretty keen to know this:)

cheers!

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
Bike is really stable and sturdy at high speed, and belting along the highway at 150kph feels totally safe and the bike is as solid as a rock.

Being only a single though you do notice a little buzzing feel through the hands and feet, that a double cylinder probably wouldn't have, but that doesn't make it feel unsafe at highspeeds. It's probably just noticeable if you pay attention to it, but the buzzing feel is there.

Some pics here:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Redline: That is really good news mate! But why aint the pictures visible?? Try reposting them via imageshack ya something.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts