Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got an itch to get a metropolitan. The storage, cheaper to run then walk really starts to ring bells in my head. What you think? The CBR250 was cheap on gas/insurace but maintenance is not all that. Any input?

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have a 2006 Vino 125. The metropolitan will serve a purpose but that's about it. If you're after some type of excitement, you won't get it with the metro. If you're after an inexpensive way to get from point A to point B, the metro will be just fine.

·
2,015 Posts
What streets/roads will you travel? Top speed on a metro is about 40, if the ones my friends have is any indication. That may tell you if a 50cc engine is right for you.

You can save on maintenance costs if you buy a shop manual and do the work yourself. Basic tools and the manual are roughly the cost of the 600mi/1000km initial checkup, so everything after that is free except for the parts/consumables. This does assume that there is a place that you can work on the bike, and, a place where you can store tools, spare oil and filters, etc.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
If you live in an urban area, and only plan on riding it there, it'll be great (hence the name "Metropolitan"). To venture out into the suburbs or ride on country roads on a scooter, you'll want something in the 125cc-250cc class. To take longer trips on country highways, or ride on the interstate, you'll want 250cc+ for a scooter. I suppose thats kind of how motorcycles are though, come to think of it...

50cc: up to 40mph
125cc: up to 60mph
250cc: up to 80mph
500cc: up to 100mph

We have a Genuine Buddy 125 scooter as well as the CBR250R. If I'm out running errands that don't require the interstate, I take the scooter. Way more storage and better fuel economy.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I had a metropolitan which I traded for the CBR250R. Mine was 2009. The 2013 have fuel injection which will save you from the ethanol problem.

This issue will be speed and acceleration. It can go the speed limit and a little more in the city. Getting there is another matter. They are a lot of fun, though.

You might want to consider an Elite or something larger (Like the Buddy or Sym). After riding the motorcycle, you will find the scooter feeling very small and underpowered.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I had a Schwinn (piece of sh1t) 150cc scooter and then a Honda SH150i before the CBRs. Lots of difference in quality between the two scooters, but the big differences were fuel injection and larger wheels. The wheels made a huge difference in ride quality and handling. I'd like to have a scooter in my garage for quick runs around town, but I'd get one with larger wheels and maybe just a bit more power than the Metropolitan.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I always thought if Honda would make a Super-Metro (same styling/larger frame and engine) they could sell more of them. In scooters it's style as well as utility. Vespa is too expensive, Bajaj quit selling in the US, Stella is a 2-stroke (can't buy in California but I think they have a 4 stroke now).

Sym and some other Chinese manufacturer also make a Honda Super Cub style bike that can be had for $1200-1600 US new. Sym was formerly Honda's manufacturer in Taiwan.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
you can observe the evolution of scooter forms into motorcycle forms,
such that many examples appear to be like a motorcyle, wheels, forks,
etc, yet with a scooter feet on the floor sitting position..
this tells you something..

the larger wheels are better generally on other than nice smooth road surfaces,
incl to some extent larger tire contact patch on the road, esp under braking..
if you think of riding over something, say a gutter, then its easy to see how
the larger the wheel the easier it is to roll over the obstacle, incl potholes etc..

motorcycles have a more central mass distribution [where the scooter central
gap is] which contributes to general handling, evolved from racing etc,
and while there are various engine forms in motorcycles, this is a basic
difference influencing handling and general ridability etc..

all the different engine types of motorcycles show the potentials engineers
have attempted to exploit, while attempting to balance output with balance
and ridability etc, from across the frame six cylinder to our own single..
bottom line is potential for a good design with good balance and so on
and according to its uses and the owners priorities etc..

as a re-entry motorcyclist but thinking of limited use in surburban daily commutes
i also considered smaller bikes such as sachs madass 125, for price, economy etc,
but [thankfully] after researching cbr250r was lucky enough to come across
a virtually new used black one with abs for around what i wanted to pay [ :) ]

point as to this topic being that whenever i do see a madass 125 on the road
[even tho it is a nicely designed etc bike] my spontaneous response has been
a sort of smiling self congratulation and thanks at not, getting something else,
a scooter etc, but getting a real honda motorcycle, ridden daily on various
roads, which she handles very well, and i ride with great enjoyment
while, i might add, being light enough and narrow and tight enough
to easily handle traffic, small spaces, parking and so on.. [70+mpg!]

also there is a certain relationship between rider and motorcycle
when a nice slightly forward orientation and ergonomics are
present, which tends toward the feeling of 'flying' compared
to the feeling of 'sitting on a chair, moving' which is not
easy to put into words but is easy to recognise and
is another part of the pleasure of motorcycling..

i did have a scooter as a youth [ISO 250] which went well,
and would beat cars off the lights etc, but which i dont count,
if asked about my other single track vehicles, ie, 4 previous
honda motorcycles.. it was fun, just not a motorcycle..

if you choose scootering, go for a honda,
and go for light weight plus higher capacity..
finally, ask yourself why you have directed your question
to members of a cbr250r - motorcycle - forum :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i want one for the price and gas mileage and storage. Will use it to go to work and ran errands ans shopping. I do not have a car, i usually rent. I am minimalist and want to spend nothing on things. THe cbr is great, but no storage, cant ride it for too long because of the seat, and maintenance is rather steep. After counting my receipts I am close the 2k

·
Registered
409 Posts
Maintenance is going to cost even on the scooter. The only way to really reduce the cost is to do it yourself.

Look into getting another seat if the one it has is uncomfortable.

When we had 2 stroke motorcycles and scooters (here in California) the maintenance was much simpler (and cheaper).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts