Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all after too many years in engineering I think the 1000k 1st service for a revvy 4 stroke is too long, however I was going to give honda the benefit of the doubt.

So went to get some oil in case I need to top up, picked up the 1st thing that was 10-30, Hondas own HP4. Its a Synthetic/ mineral blend, Hondas good stuff. When reading the back (I was very bored today) it says 'suitable for the break in period' kinda puts doubt on the 'special break in oil' from the factory/don't use good oil for x 1000's of k's stuff you read.

Just my 2c

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
GN4 is fine. and you wont need to top up unless it leaks... mine required the sump plug washer rotating when new, and weeps a bit from the clutch shaft seal @ 4400km but no big issue, wipe with a rag every 1000km = fixed.

Apart from the Fuel injection she's a pretty low tech, low compression simple bike not requiring any special synthetic snake oil.

And break in is only a couple days riding and the more particles come out the better.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
In fact Ive just given it its first oil change outside the schedule @ 4400km after a track day and then a 1300km 3 day blast at full revs.

Got the honda kit 2x GN4 litre bottles, gasket, washer and filter for $39.95, no doubt half that price in the resst of the world.

will do again at 8000km, then the yearly service at 12,000km.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
For the same price, you can do a lot better than the Honda oils.

Because of the small volume, the oil will take a beating during track time or extended high RPM running. If you like to do that, get some Motul, Repsol, or Redline full-synthetic oil.

Jay

1 - 4 of 4 Posts