Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have recently gotten my Motorcycle license and looking at all kinds of bikes and talking with my friends too. I have been riding a 2008 Honda Ruckus and getting sick of only going 40-45 mph and want to be able to stay with traffic instead of holding it up (hills kill me :p)

I want a bike with good gas mileage, good price, and looks like a sport bike. I would like your opinions on if i should get a 250 or 600 for my first bike over 50cc. I really like Honda.

Thanks,
New Rider :) Drum4life89

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Welcome. The CBR250r should be perfect for what you are trying to do, in my opinion.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Your last sentence just about ruled out the 600RR. You're going to get anywhere from 1/2 to 1/3rd or less MPG with a 600RR. Depending on what year you're looking at, you could buy 2-3 250Rs for the same price. They're also much more expensive all the way around, especially insurance.

Aside from being on two wheels, there's not really a lot in common between scooters and motorcycles so I'd suggest staying away from the 600RR as a first bike. The 250R is more than enough to keep up with traffic.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya i know that the last sentence didn't didn't go along what i said but my friends say they get like 100, 115 miles per tank. but i am really leaning toward the 250. I love my ruckus but i need something for the summer to go to work with better MPG, plus i have no AC in my car haha. Ill make my avatar my ruckus.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The trip to work is about 33 miles one way and the speed limit goes 55 in few places and sometime i take the freeway home so i need 70 mph there haha.

·
Registered
414 Posts
if you want to be the fastest thing on the road with enough power to always over take no matter not small the gap then the 250 isnt for you. otherwise it ticks every box you mentioned "good gas mileage, good price, and looks like a sport bike."

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't need to be going 150 mph. I just want to keep up with traffic and everything i mentioned. I'm really leaning toward the 250

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm never on a free way, but I am sometimes easily the fastest commuter pushing 65 in the 55 mph. With a few hills, curves and no stops for 15 mile intervals. I weigh 200lbs so the hills mean a down shift but 7k rpm is just good for the soul, should diet

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

·
Registered
431 Posts
A 250r is the way to go. It is a LOT more powerful than your ruckus! A 600rr is not only overkill :p it's a crazy idea. It's like saying you can fly a F/A-18 because you've managed a Cessna.

·
1,305 Posts
I don't need to be going 150 mph. I just want to keep up with traffic and everything i mentioned. I'm really leaning toward the 250

drum,

i ride about 90% on my time on the freeway in Southern California, i have no issues on the freeway at all with keeping up.. or overtaking

·
Registered
63 Posts
drum,

i ride about 90% on my time on the freeway in Southern California, i have no issues on the freeway at all with keeping up.. or overtaking
Agreed...I do about 60 miles a day commuting on I-26. No problems keeping up with traffic. I'm probably pushing 200lbs with my gear, backpack on, and luchbox bungeed to the back seat. Getting 67.7 mpg too. I would say you don't need a 600.

·
Registered
230 Posts
From a straight up utility standpoint the CBR250R is where its at - good mileage/insurance cost/ease of maint./comfortable/etc. However I can say that when I ride with people with more "spirited" engines I sometimes envy them. I came from a 600cc to the 250cc and really like it for riding with my wife/other family BUT when my buddies with 600's/1000's come around its much less fun :( Also don't forget there are other good "learner" bikes that are sporty and get fair mileage- ninja 500/sv650/gs500 just to name a few. Not EVERY bike over 250cc is instant suicide!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys. I know a few people i could ride with that would just speed away from me because they have a 600 or 1000. I'm still looking and really liking the CBR250R.

·
Registered
501 Posts
My wife went from a 50cc honda scooter to a 25Occ rebel, she too short for the CBR. She can keep up with me now. I had to keep slowing down when she was on the scooter.
CBR good choice, Fast enought to get you into trouble, great gas mileage and pretty cheap insurance

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ya i don't ride with any motorcycles just other scooter riders because we can keep up with each other. I was thinking of doing a engine swap on my Ruckus and do a 180cc which would make me go between 60-70 mph. But it's like $2500-$3000 to do it.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Ya i don't ride with any motorcycles just other scooter riders because we can keep up with each other. I was thinking of doing a engine swap on my Ruckus and do a 180cc which would make me go between 60-70 mph. But it's like $2500-$3000 to do it.
Not a good idea. Get the CBR, you'll have a machine that was built to go that speed. Wind protection, tires etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Check out Dorbyworks, Rucksters, and Grape Street Garage. Pretty sick stuff. Ya i want a bike built right and wind protection and with a bigger motor.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts