Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The start of an article in the Bangkok Post today, 6th June 2011:

The acute shortage of certain Honda motorcycle models in the Thai market has frustrated its dealers and customers as the Japanese bike maker faces unexpectedly strong demand overseas and at home.

"We apologise to our customers who are inconvenienced ... since such high demand is unexpected but we are making a great effort to step up production to meet the rising demand," said Suchart Arunsaengroj, general manager for sales at AP Honda Co, the country's largest motorcycle distributor.

Supplies of the PCX 125 scooter and Honda CBR150 and CBR250 sport models are very tight as no stocks remain at Thai Honda Manufacturing Co. Honda dealers are worried that the shortage will force its customers to consider rival brands.

"The high demand for these models partly because of high orders overseas which Honda had not expected earlier," said Mr Suchart.

Bangkok Post : Honda tries to keep up with demand

Honda produces well over a million motorcycles a year, mostly the manual Wave, and the auto Scoopi and Click for the local market. The CBR's and the PBX are only a drop in the bucket.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Even if they can catch up they still need to make major improvements.

For example, my dealer can't find a Honda oil filter for my new CBR250R. Honda shipped them the bike but didn't bother to get the basic parts needed for the initial 600 mile service into their inventory. Did Honda really think it would take me the whole summer to put on 600 miles. Probably not. My guess is that Honda just DIDN'T THINK!

HEY HONDA! IF YOU ARE GOING TO SHIP A BIKE TO A DEALER, YOU MIGHT WANT TO CONSIDER WHAT THAT DEALER IS ALSO GOING TO NEED TO SUPPORT SAID BIKE. THEN MAKE SURE THAT THE PARTS ARE AVAILABLE SO YOU DON'T MAKE BOTH THE DEALER AND YOURSELF (HONDA CORPORATE) LOOKS LIKE INCOMPETENT FOOLS.

If I screwed up in my job as bad as you have done so far with the CBR250R I'd be job hunting. Strange how you can design such a great bike and then drop the ball in every other portion of the process. Can't meet demand, don't ship on time, won't communicate with the dealerships or customers, make excuses instead of just making it right, completely ignore the need for maintenance parts and accessories. If you were going for a FUBAR introduction of one of your greatest bikes ever released you get gold stars all around.

I LOVE the bike but everything else Honda has done (OR to be more clear, hasn't done) SUCKS! Hopefully the aftermarket shops will pick up the slack that Honda is dragging around.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I am curious to see what happens when i go in for my first service, in the next two weeks or so, after hearing the stories on this forum.....

·
745 Posts
My first service was painless, except Honda has a new type of clamp on the fuel lines that the mechanic didn't get correct on the first pass. It popped off when i refueled the bike. No, I'm not mad - the customer service response by the dealer was over the top.

·
Registered
576 Posts
i'm coming up on my first 600mile oil change and my dealer also had
to order the filter.getting a couple filters, and a few gaskets just
incase one rips when i take off the cover,

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Even if they can catch up they still need to make major improvements.

For example, my dealer can't find a Honda oil filter for my new CBR250R. Honda shipped them the bike but didn't bother to get the basic parts needed for the initial 600 mile service into their inventory. Did Honda really think it would take me the whole summer to put on 600 miles. Probably not. My guess is that Honda just DIDN'T THINK!

HEY HONDA! IF YOU ARE GOING TO SHIP A BIKE TO A DEALER, YOU MIGHT WANT TO CONSIDER WHAT THAT DEALER IS ALSO GOING TO NEED TO SUPPORT SAID BIKE. THEN MAKE SURE THAT THE PARTS ARE AVAILABLE SO YOU DON'T MAKE BOTH THE DEALER AND YOURSELF (HONDA CORPORATE) LOOKS LIKE INCOMPETENT FOOLS.

If I screwed up in my job as bad as you have done so far with the CBR250R I'd be job hunting. Strange how you can design such a great bike and then drop the ball in every other portion of the process. Can't meet demand, don't ship on time, won't communicate with the dealerships or customers, make excuses instead of just making it right, completely ignore the need for maintenance parts and accessories. If you were going for a FUBAR introduction of one of your greatest bikes ever released you get gold stars all around.

I LOVE the bike but everything else Honda has done (OR to be more clear, hasn't done) SUCKS! Hopefully the aftermarket shops will pick up the slack that Honda is dragging around.
I love your rant.....

Yes, there are many things that could, nay, should have been done been much better.

But to be fair, AP Honda and Thai Honda Manufacturing have been designing and producing a small range of motorcycles by the million for the local market for years. Export has only accounted for a small part of their production.

The CBR250R is their first venture into a motorcycle intended to be sold around the world. It really is new territory for them.

That being said, you have to wonder how much support they have had from the parent company, who are certainly no stranger to marketing world wide, and have a good reputation. One has to suspect, not enough.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts