Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is starting to get hot in the desert of Southern Calif. We have had a number of days over 100 and a few days up to 106-108. People on this forum have asked how the bike does in that weather, and this is my report. It does great. Something in there has to be screaming from the heat, but there is no noticeable loss of power. I have yet to see the temp. gauge above three bars. I can't say that it is fun to ride when it is that hot, but you gotta do what you gotta do. So far, no temperature problem with the bike----only with the rider. Whipsaw.

·
Registered
78 Posts
That's good to know. It's starting to get near 95 here in Dallas. The only problem I'm having is where I have to park my bike it's directly in the sun 3-4 hours a day. And it's a black bike.

Guess it's time to get a cover.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
It is starting to get hot in the desert of Southern Calif. We have had a number of days over 100 and a few days up to 106-108. People on this forum have asked how the bike does in that weather, and this is my report. It does great. Something in there has to be screaming from the heat, but there is no noticeable loss of power. I have yet to see the temp. gauge above three bars. I can't say that it is fun to ride when it is that hot, but you gotta do what you gotta do. So far, no temperature problem with the bike----only with the rider. Whipsaw.
Does anyone there use an ice vest?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Please send your hot weather up here.:D
Mine ran good when it was 90deg awhile back, went on 70 mile trip.

·
Registered
240 Posts
You lucky guys...we're barbecued nothing less than 105-107 everyday; its 87 in the nights. Last Saturday I was riding when it was 112 :D

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
One of the advantages of liquid cooling is that it can deal with engine heat over a wide range of air temperature and operating conditions. Years ago I seized a little air cooled engine when riding at full noise in the heat of a 40Cº (over 100Fº) day. I was on the 25 km homeward leg of a journey that I usually did in the cool of the evening.

The simple two stroke did have some advantages though. I just let it cool down, and then carried on home. The bike was still running ten years on. Cooking a water cooled 4 stroke would probably result in more serious damage.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Did a 500 mile ride through the SoCal desert last Sunday in 106 degree heat. Borrego Springs there and back via Montezuma Rd with incredible switchbacks and breathtaking elevation changes. It was like being on a roller coaster ride in the hot desert. We finally ended up in Julian. My CBR250RA never overheated and ran like a champ even though I was pushing it into some corners. Beautiful area. Returned back to the 5 freeway via Ortega Highway.

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
No need to change the oil weight with a water-cooled engine.

Air-cooled engines are a different case; I use 20W-50 in the summer for the air-cooled CRF230L.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The cbr likes 10w-30.

Trust me on this.
hey aufitt,cbr loves 10w-30,but u got a service manual?
It says use 20w-40 in hot
or energy consuming areas.

Now here,the temperature s around 40degree ambient
max recorded 42.5
i had to use 20w-40 as
10w-30 was felt to lose viscosity,just after riding 2hour.

Now 20w-40 is a charm,fine tested with 5hour ride.
I will revert to 10w-30 as soon as rains come up.temperature drops to 30degree ideal

·
Registered
133 Posts
hey aufitt,cbr loves 10w-30,but u got a service manual?
It says use 20w-40 in hot
or energy consuming areas.

Now here,the temperature s around 40degree ambient
max recorded 42.5
i had to use 20w-40 as
10w-30 was felt to lose viscosity,just after riding 2hour.

Now 20w-40 is a charm,fine tested with 5hour ride.
I will revert to 10w-30 as soon as rains come up.temperature drops to 30degree ideal
Don't forget that Aufitt has the better quality Thai made Cbr250 not the Indian made bike (which actually is a slightly different bike component wise)
With the Thai built bike there is NOTHING in the manual (both English and Thai language) that suggests a different oil is required . it just says that a 10/40w is OK.

hot season here in Thailand is regularly in the 40's no problems at all for the bike...

·
Registered
240 Posts
This is the trip

Total distance - 5890 Kms (3860 miles) completed in 5 days 19 hours.

Some of the stretches had 47 degree Celsius or 116 Fahrenheit that I rode for over 3+ hours non stop at speeds between 75-85 mph with Honda stock 10W30 engine oil.

Vehicle performed brilliant & no complaints whatsoever.

CBR 250R ROCKS!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts