Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in a pretty topsy-turvy world, emotion-wise.
Being unemployed just makes it worse, and I spend way too much time in front of the TV.

But this evening, the youth group at my Quaker meeting held a chili cookoff. There were 6 different pots of chili, and we were all invited to taste them all, and then vote with our dollars for our favorites.
Afterward there were desserts auctioned off, with all of the money going to local charities.

Toward the end, two of the ladies were busy assembling the monthly newsletter and getting them ready for the mail. I joined in.
I even took said newsletters to the post office afterward, so the ladies wouldn't have to mess with it.

It really lifted my spirits to be around everyone that was smiling and laughing. The chili was good, and my farts are sweet!

When I got home and parked the car in the garage, for the first time in a long time, the motorcycle looked appealing, over there.

It also helps that I was contacted Friday about a job in my field (computer operations). I had to go out and buy a webcam for my computer as the client conducts preliminary interviews via Skype. That is a new one for me.

Who knows, maybe it is just the coming of warm weather here in the Northern Hemisphere, but I may keep the bike for another season. I just need to get my head in the right place.

This thread doesn't have to center on me and my life. Feel free to offer up, as the title says, how you are feeling today.

Peace, Friends.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I'm currently enjoying a couple of cold beers. Spend 1.5 hours mowing the lawn in the heat, so it is a given.

Applied for a different role at work last week and had interview - should here back this week.

Wife is in Brisbane for the weekend doing some make up convention for Younique. So I am at home with the kids.

Chin up mate, sometimes it's good to be around happy people.

Antidepressants have been helping me.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Antidepressants have been helping me.
:D

I see my doctor this week for my first prescription.

Gonna get something for my low testosterone, too. I hear T is for more than just sex. (energy, in general) I am going to turn 60 this summer.

Monday is my 2nd psych therapy session.

I had tried antidepressants and therapy about 15 years ago, but it didn't really seem to help. Possibly due to my self-medicating with cannabis. A year ago I quit smoking for a month, but it didn't take.
The trauma of losing my job this year (laid off) pretty much sealed the deal on that, this time. I don't expect to fall off the wagon, this time. And it is much more than just being able to pee clean. It is a VERY large money pit, not to mention the clandestine meetings. Not really good for the soul.

Except for living homeless, I think I have finally hit my personal "best" rock bottom, which is usually a good thing, for the future.

I am lucky that this particular substance was such an easy one to quit cold. I'm not sure I can say the same thing about my issues with spending money. If I get this job, I will have to face that monster, again. I just need to keep up with the therapy. I have always done well when I have a professional to talk with. But doing so is a very recent development in my life.
Otherwise, I have been lucky. No tobacco, no alcohol and no gambling.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I had tried antidepressants and therapy about 15 years ago, but it didn't really seem to help. Possibly due to my self-medicating with cannabis.
That probably would've played a fair part in it. Then again, I tried about 5 different ones before I found one that actually helped. Different types and mg over a long period. So far, so good.

The trauma of losing my job this year (laid off) pretty much sealed the deal on that, this time. I don't expect to fall off the wagon, this time.
My Wife and I quit smoking cigarettes almost a year ago. Recently I started having a couple here and there due to failed IVF attempts and filing for bankruptcy however I didn't take it back up thankfully. Just bummed a couple off of my mates.

I am lucky that this particular substance was such an easy one to quit cold.
I found the same thing. I used to not be able to function unless I was high, would wake up during the night, smoke a bowl and go back to sleep. Then wake up at 6am, and do it again. I would smoke it more than I smoked cigarettes. However one day I just said "nope", and that was that.

Never had withdrawals, or felt the "need" to have some. So it was all just my mind state, same with smoking cigarettes. I simply had the right mind frame to stop.

If I get this job, I will have to face that monster, again. I just need to keep up with the therapy.
Well done for seeking help mate, keep it up!

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Recently I started having a couple here and there due to failed IVF attempts and filing for bankruptcy however I didn't take it back up thankfully.
I wouldn't be in a big hurry to bring another life into this world, if I were you.
Mostly I am speaking from a "living ON the grid" lifestyle. I hate our dependence on fossil fuels for heating our homes and moving us about. And YES, that includes the possibility of electric vehicles.
Electricity has to come from somewhere. And production of solar panels is not without its carbon footprint.
Adopt. There may even be tax benefits in it!

I am also in the middle of bankruptcy right now, thanks to my attempts to "buy" happiness with credit card debt. :(

I will never own another credit card in my life. I let my car go back to the bank (4 more years on the loan for a 2008 Civic!).
I bought a nearly identical 2006 Civic with an additional 70,000 miles on it with my severance money ($4700 - one owner!). I have the title! :)

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Sounds like you're keeping your head above water in spite of some overwhelming stresses don'tpanic. This past year has been a tough one for me health wise, including diagnosis of a cardiac arrhythmia with the anxiety component typical with heart issues. However, after many months of treatment I am now back riding and trying to get back into a regular rhythm of life. Already have several rides completed which is rare at this time of year in Cochrane. A smile is back on my face :) Thankfully depression was not a by product of my rocky road of emergency rooms, cardiologists and other dr visits.

Surrounding ourself with positive friends and giving activities will yield a sense of good will. If antidepressants are needed then go for it. Stress eventually lowers the neurotransmitters responsible for positive mood. Modern day antidepressants replace these "feel good" hormones and chemicals. Ask your Dr about a common side affect of lowered libido or inability to "complete" the deed. This is a common complaint....sadly.

Hope you can keep your bike. Economy is depressed everywhere. Here in Alberta we're crumbling under a collapsed economy. Suicide rate has increased by 30%. Scary, scary stuff.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I'm using Citalopram to treat my depression. It works pretty well but has moved my day/night cycle forward by about 4 hours (that's why I sometimes welcome new members here at 2 am).
If I were you I wouldn't sell the motorcycle just yet. You might be in a phase of strange mood shifts and every permanent decision might hurt you in the long run.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the kind thoughts, LTR.

I have to admit, I have never felt suicidal (I really don't like pain, and I am a wimp), but one big factor in hoping that my time would come soon is the upcoming US Presidential election. VERY distressing. :( There is one person running whom I think can give us some hope, but there are SO MANY scared, angry, xenophobic voters out there, I am afraid he may not have a chance.

I have never worried much about my libido, as I don't consider myself good looking enough, or stable enough to worry about a relationship, at this point in my life.
For me, the testosterone treatment will be more about helping me gain a more positive outlook on life.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
I find great peace and sense of accomplishment through excercise. I have a few expensive bicycles and used to train with racers at the back of the pack but now I am just as content to go out by myself or in a small group on an old mountain bike with basic equipment and wearing street clothes. Or indoors with a mag trainer while watching a movie. Your energy and T levels and sense of well being will improve if you can exercise. Elliptical machines are also really great if you are near a gym. Water ex is fantastic for people with sore joints. Make sure you are eating enough protein. 1.5 grams per kg of lean body mass. Tuna, beans, soy milk, greek yoqurt. ect.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes Sendler, in fact I have a bicycle, and it is set up in my spare room on a training stand.
Making myself get on it when I am feeling low is another thing, entirely. But I would be lying if I said I have been on it at all, lately. Today? :)
Our Tai Chi group at church only meets every-other week, but it is great, too. I really feel a difference (sore, underused muscles) afterward. The fellowship is supreme, also!

I am conscious of how much protein I am getting, but I've never done the math. I try to stick to real food. My favorite snack these days is crunchy peanut butter on apple wedges.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi, I'm quite busy these days. I've got numerous things to accomplish. But, I'm still feeling good. Like what others have said " Keep your head above water" That's why, I'm doing everything positively. Looking forward to an awesome weekend. Great day to all!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I find that motorcycle season is very pleasant if I get in the habit of riding, and unpleasant if I don't. It's a busy and stressful time of year at work, and regular riding lifts my spirits, helps me sleep, and generally make me better adjusted.

To get myself a winter equivalent, I have actually sat down and designed a simple motorcycle simulator, but it's a huge amount of work to actually build the thing so I haven't done it yet.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I hope I'm not going to upset anyone by writing this but for me life's pretty good at the moment. This week I reopened my bicycle repair shop after the Christmas break and business has got straight back to a healthy level. I've got to the point in my life where I've lost the lust for ever more expensive vehicles and bicycles that for a good many years had me living at the limit of my means and am now able to start putting things in place to enable me to retire eventually. Fixing bikes all day is hard work and I really don't fancy spending 40-50 hours a week doing it when I'm 70.

Only minor grumbles are that now I'm past 50 I can feel my fitness falling off and cycling hills is definitely harder than it used to be. No amount of training now will get me back to where I was at my peak so I have to stop looking at performance measures and just enjoy the rides.
It'd be nice to have a little more time to ride my CBR.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I'm having riding withdrawal due to arctic-like winter temperatures, but I'm doing well otherwise. Mrs. Stichill and I are empty nesters now and we're making plans for vacations and maybe building a new garage dedicated to...motorcycles!

:smile2:

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
just had a nice ride home from yoga..
nice combination of health giving
and enjoyable activities..

exercise and rational movement sequences
are vitally important for general welbeing..
ie, use not abuse of all body systems,
including nervous system and brain..

and thus our normal brain secretions
such as serotonin and dopamine etc..

very important especially for
inevitable aging..

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'm having riding withdrawal due to arctic-like winter temperatures, but I'm doing well otherwise. Mrs. Stichill and I are empty nesters now and we're making plans for vacations and maybe building a new garage dedicated to...motorcycles!

Same, an exciting project finally being actioned. I crushed two fingers at work today so crap day and typing with left hand while right is in ice water. Going to be a long night..

I was blessed with stable mental health until 8 years ago (triggered by relationship melt down) and now I'm a bit flaky but not to the point of requiring medication. Struggle with it most days.
Two things that work for me tho, other than motorcycling of course:
Getting good regular sleep and exercising. I know it seems obvious and we've all heard it before but I find it really helps.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Ok, that is it, I have to come down and meet you ... in my car :frown2:

·
2,015 Posts
The riding weather was fine today. Just cool enough so that I wasn't too warm in the Darien jacket that I bought myself for Christmas.

:D

1 - 20 of 37 Posts