Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike has been sitting for years. 2years ago it had fresh oil and fresh gas.

I’m changing the oil, draining and refilling gas and then to be gentle on the engine, I’m taking the spark plug out and spraying wd40 and oil into the cylinder.

Is there a bolt I can use to turn the engine over somewhere? Or is it better to use the starter to do that?

·
Registered
Honda: INNOVA125i(2010); CBR250R(2013)
148 Posts
Hi
There is a procedure on how to properly perform long-term storage.
I will recommended to read the appropriate chapter in the Haynes guide No' 5919 (P. REF*31).
To your question here is my answer:
Is there a bolt I can use to turn the engine over somewhere?
YES there is, take a look at the attached photos.
Safety - Mandatory: Before you turn the crankshaft manual, make sure that the switch is OFF, and the Kill-Switch button is OFF, and take the plug out!
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Alloy wheel

Automotive tire Gas Auto part Human leg Flooring

Hand Automotive tire Wood Finger Tool

Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive tire Fender Rim

is it better to use the starter to do that?
It is possible, the difference is that a vigorous rotation by the starter motor will cause the oil pump to generate a certain flow of oil in the engine. Also in this case to Maintain Safety the plug must be outside, disconnected from the cable. And both are away from the engine to prevent any possibility of igniting the fuel mixture.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
My bike has been sitting for years. 2years ago it had fresh oil and fresh gas.

I’m changing the oil, draining and refilling gas and then to be gentle on the engine, I’m taking the spark plug out and spraying wd40 and oil into the cylinder.

Is there a bolt I can use to turn the engine over somewhere? Or is it better to use the starter to do that?
If it had fresh oil, I wouldn't spray WD-40 into the cylinder.

You will want to drain the gas most likely. Hopefully it was stabilized, or your injector may be plugged.

Check and charge the battery. Check the airbox for critter nests.

I wouldn't be concerned about spinning it over before starting. Most likely it will take some cranking to get going, and you will have oil flow. Spraying WD in the cylinder will contaminate the oil, and it's not a lubricant.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts