Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm having issues starting up my 2016 cbr250r that gets infrequent use.
I have a battery charger to prevent the battery from dying and I check the voltage frequently. I'm wondering how I go about checking for a spark on the spark plugs

I rode the bike a few weeks ago after it had sat for a couple months and had some issues when I stopped for gas. The bike basically wouldn't start back up and after I rolled it off to the side it decided to start.

I hadn't ridden it since then, but now it won't start at all. Battery is fully charged, but the engine keeps turning over.

I was told on Reddit to check for a spark, and I've been searching around but i've only found instructions to completely remove the sparkplug, which requires the tank to be removed.

How do I actually check for a spark on the spark plugs on a cbr250r

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
284 Posts
1. pull off plug wires
2. remove spark plug
3. insert plug into spark plug wire
4. ground case of plug to engine, laying it on top usually works
5. crank engine, do you see spark?

My brother tried to patch tube punctures on his bicycle by leaving wheel on bike. He would wrestle tyre off rim in sections, then pull piece of tube out, then splash water on it to find leak. Then rotate wheel 20-30 degrees, pull out another section of tube, splash water on it. Rotate wheel and repeat. Would've been easier to remove wheel from bicycle and remove entire tube to dunk in bucket of water to find leak.

Just remove tank, so much easier and faster to fix bike that way.

Also use multimeter to test your tip-over sensor and side-stand switch.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I have a battery charger to prevent the battery from dying and I check the voltage frequently. I'm wondering how I go about checking for a spark on the spark plugs
I rode the bike a few weeks ago after it had sat for a couple months and had some issues when I stopped for gas. The bike basically wouldn't start back up and after I rolled it off to the side it decided to start.
I hadn't ridden it since then, but now it won't start at all. Battery is fully charged, but the engine keeps turning over.

I was told on Reddit to check for a spark, and I've been searching around but i've only found instructions to completely remove the sparkplug, which requires the tank to be removed.

How do I actually check for a spark on the spark plugs on a cbr250r

Thanks in advance
I personally would look elsewhere for a problem.

Based on what you have said, I expect it's fuel-related. Unless the fuel was treated with a stabilizer and run enough to get into the entire system and injector, I would expect the gas to be bad and possibly things to be gunned-up.

Draining the gas tank completely and refilling with fresh gas would be a good start anyway, so I'd do that first.

How are you checked the battery? I would check it before trying to start, where you should see over 12.7V, and also read the voltage as you hit and hold the starter button. You should still see over 10V and closer to 11 during cranking if it's in good condition.

The combination of old fuel and a low battery would explain your problem.

·
Registered
Honda: INNOVA125i(2010); CBR250R(2013)
232 Posts
my 2016 cbr250r that gets infrequent use.
I have a battery charger to prevent the battery from dying and I check the voltage frequently.
Hi. If you are still with the original battery,
then it is likely has reached the end of its life.
Start with the simple things.
Battery testing It's simple and done with a load, just as jkv357 explained:
...check it before trying to start, where you should see over 12.7V(12.3V is fine too), and also read the voltage as you hit and hold the starter button. You should still see over 10V and closer to 11 during cranking if it's in good condition.
After a minute from the start-up attempt the voltage should recovered and return above 12V close to the initial value.

Battery is the most common problem.

Bad F
uel after a year is less common (And I have never used a stabilizer):
1. The tank was full (less possibility of oxidation).
2. The CBR stored in a shady and dry place.
3. Start once a month to prevent fuel from drying in the narrow passages.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Bought a used 2013 that probably sat for years. Looked perfect though. At around 100 miles, I had starting issues. Since I don't want to take my 2013 cbr 250 apart right away,. to check for spark I spray "quick start" starting fluid into the air filter. If it starts, it's probably clogged fuel injector. You can clean it. see you tube. Now, what I did to prevent this from happening again is I took the tank off, replaced the filter, after market(around $8.00) , took off the fuel pump, cleaned it and now it's reliable, smooth and perfect. Even gets better mileage. If you don't use it regularly, or get poor quality fuel, you may need a fuel preserver and a fuel injector additive to keep it running. I bought a new battery thinking it was that, but not so simple.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Bought a used 2013 that probably sat for years.It had 3,000 miles on it. Looked perfect. At around 100 miles, I had starting/running issues. Since I don't want to take my 2013 cbr 250 apart right away,. to check for spark I spray "quick start" starting fluid into the air filter. If it starts, it's probably clogged fuel injector. You can clean it. see you tube. Now, what I did to prevent this from happening again is I took the tank off, replaced the filter, after market(around $8.00) , took off the fuel pump, cleaned it and now it's reliable, smooth and perfect. Even gets better mileage. If you don't use it regularly, or get poor quality fuel, you may need a fuel preserver and a fuel injector additive to keep it running. I bought a new battery thinking it was that, but not so simple.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Here's how you with the spark plugs:
Test the spark plug ignition by disconnecting the spark plug wire from the spark plug. Hold the end of the spark plug wire close to a metal surface. If the spark plug is good, you will see a spark or you'll hear a crackling noise. This means that voltage is getting through the wire to the spark plug.
More details about this can be found here:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts