Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How high have you gone on the RPM in the first gear on your bike, does it vibrate lots? Someone told me that one should never go onto very high revs in the first gear I wonder why?

·
Registered
999 Posts
During really aggressive riding stints with a warmed up engine and warmed up tires,..about 9K-9.5K rpm.
There ain't much motor there so I have to use everything she's got.

I've never noticed it vibrating more in first at that rpm than any other gear at that rpm. Mind you, I'm not there very long. Within a few seconds I've made it into fourth or fifth.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
How high have you gone on the RPM in the first gear on your bike, does it vibrate lots? Someone told me that one should never go onto very high revs in the first gear I wonder why?
If you want to break your bike in real quick always give it death in first gear, and every gear.

There you go..... now someone else told you something else.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Are we talking about a bike that hasn't been broken in? :confused:
That wasn't specified so I assumed it was a general question aimed at bikes past the wear in point.

So..just in case I feel I must clarify to the OP that my bike is way past the break in point. During break in, there were no aggressive riding stints :)

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I'm sorry folks......

If you want to break your bike real quick always give it death in first gear, and every gear.

There you go..... now someone else told you something else.
.... there, fixed the typo that caused confusion for Metalstorm.

Same same I'd say, but some say different.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Sarcasm alert on the previous post! The scenester police are on their way!

The honda manual specifically recommends staying out of the power band for this engine. Maybe that's where your friend got his information. If you want to have fun I'd say the rev limiter will tell you how high you can go. I find shifting above 8,500 in first is really smooth, so I go there or higher.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Rev limiter, Thats what its there for!

·
Registered
160 Posts
unless I'm in a situation where I really need the extra edge, I usually shift around 5-6k. The CBR250R has plenty of torque in the lower rpms.
In more than 4000 km of riding it, and often reasonably hard, I have only once come close to redlining it (in the interest of saving my backside)

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
Shift when ever you want to just stay out of the red zone.
Yes, bike engines melt if you go within 1000rpm of what Honda set as their limiter.

It's totally confusing as to why Honda put the rev limiter 1000rpms past the point where the engine will melt, the fairings will be blown off, and the seams of the seat will unravel. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yes, bike engines melt if you go within 1000rpm of what Honda set as their limiter.

It's totally confusing as to why Honda put the rev limiter 1000rpms past the point where the engine will melt, the fairings will be blown off, and the seams of the seat will unravel. :rolleyes:

No.

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
You mean it won't melt, explode, implode, disintegrate, seize-up, or cause the engine life to drop from 20,000km to 15,000km if we use the RPMs that Honda set as safe? :confused:

·
Registered
999 Posts
You mean it won't melt, explode, implode, disintegrate, seize-up, or cause the engine life to drop from 20,000km to 15,000km if we use the RPMs that Honda set as safe? :confused:
Well... theoretically.... Yes :) :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts