Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much weight do you think can be taken off the CBR250 without going to aftermarket wheels and other really big bucks parts?

What do you think each of these saves?

Tail kit
Full after market exhaust
Aluminum rear sprocket
Replacement bars
Flush front turn signals like these: Motorcycle LED Turn Signals, Hotbodies Racing

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Exhaust

How much weight do you think can be taken off the CBR250 without going to aftermarket wheels and other really big bucks parts?

What do you think each of these saves?

Tail kit
Full after market exhaust
Aluminum rear sprocket
Replacement bars
Flush front turn signals like these: Motorcycle LED Turn Signals, Hotbodies Racing
The exhaust can shed 14 pounds. The others a few ounces each. I wouldn't want to lose the visibility of the front turn signals.

·
Registered
319 Posts
You could shed about 10kg rather easy.

The stock exhaust for an M4 exhaust would net a good 6kg

A tail tidy should drop about 1kg over the stock one, there is a fair amount of metal in the stock one.

turn signals wouldn't loose anything they are light.

Replace the rear seat with a cowl might net a few hundred grams, the honda seat cowl is is hollow with a smapp metal frame.

drop the foot pegs for the passenger with the M4 exhaust and rear seat cowl and add a rear set from like tyga which is fair small and there goes another 1kg

Replace the top fork clamp with a tyga unit would same some weight as well.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just found this on the TYGA tail replacement:

"Replace these parts with the TYGA seat cowling, LED tail light and exhaust stay and bingo! your bike now weighs a whole 2 kg or 4.5 pounds less and looks a whole lot better. You still have access to the luggage compartment which is actually increased in size..."
TYGA Tail for 2011 CBR250R - Tyga Performance

·
Registered
113 Posts
All good suggestions. The truth is it depends how much you're willing to sacrifice, are you willing to cut into the frame, etc. Exhaust, battery, and rear cowl are the biggies. I haven't weighed them yet, but the stock wheels appear to be quite light. Walking an extra couple of miles a day can do wonders as well if you're like me (older and not as light as I once was).

I'll have cowl sets in next week along with some other bits. The 250R is on the back burner at the moment while the VFR400 gets some attention. Watch the website for updates.

Bill

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Go for a run and give up junk food.... huge gains.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Dropped it 15 lbs (6.8KG)

At least my loaded weight. Lost 15 lbs off my lard a**. :D 368 + 185= 553 total. What's your loaded Total?

·
Registered
385 Posts
How much weight could one loose before the 18 wheelers would start blowing you around on the freeway? I learned to ride on a bike that was just about 300 pounds wet. Too light.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How much weight could one loose before the 18 wheelers would start blowing you around on the freeway? I learned to ride on a bike that was just about 300 pounds wet. Too light.
LOL Pete, this isn't a practical question. It's stupid to spend a lot of time and money improving at CBR250.

But, sometimes fun trumps practicality!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Ha..ha... I learned to ride on a 30 lb wet (if it's raining) 10-speed bike. Passed many 18 wheelers going the same and opposite directions on the highway. It didn't bother me then - and doesn't bother me in the least now while riding a bike that is 338 lbs heavier and travels a lot faster! :)

Mike

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have around 500 pounds between me and my bike. I barely notice wind blast from trucks on the highway.

·
Registered
272 Posts
It is the bike. The aerodynamics of this CBR is worlds better than the 250 Vstar I rode through this summer. I got buffetted badly by trucks so much I had to get around them quickly. I hardly feel it at all on the CBR250. It's sweet.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BTW, here's a link to the article that got me thinking about weight.

"Without gas, the NCR M16 achieves an incredible weight of 145 kg (319 lbs). Since there are no rules to follow, the claimed weight is actually lighter than the imposed minimum weight of a MotoGP motorcycle... The motor develops over 200 horsepower at the rear wheel. ... "

NCR Unveils Desmosedici-powered M16 | Motorcycle News

Sure, I know, we can't do what they did but it sure is fun to think about getting as far as we can!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts