Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get this bike next month and wanted to know how much did you guys pay for your bikes?

·
Registered
999 Posts
Too much according to most.
I paid the full msrp + all the fees & taxes.

I needed a bike right away and the bike was already low priced & I got a fantastic rate through a credit union so I jumped feet first and never looked back.

No regrets, the bike was and is worth it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I never purchased a new bike before so this will be my first time. So is the price nego like if you were at a car dealership? And if I dont have my motorcycle license can I finance the bike and let them ship the bike to my house if im approved, and not put insurance or register it until I get my motorcycle license? Just curious, Because im really set on getting this bike lol.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Well I never purchased a new bike before so this will be my first time. So is the price nego like if you were at a car dealership? And if I dont have my motorcycle license can I finance the bike and let them ship the bike to my house if im approved, and not put insurance or register it until I get my motorcycle license? Just curious, Because im really set on getting this bike lol.
You can and should negotiate your best price.

My dealer didn't care if I had a license or not, but they wouldn't let me test ride anything since I didn't. And they delivered it to my house. I actually bought two CBRs and they kept one at the dealer in storage for me until March. It was part of the deal I struck with them.

You should be able to get the insurance coverage without having a motorcycle license, but it costs more that way (I'm an insurance agent, btw). Once you get your license, and if you take the MSF course or join a riders club, you should let your agent know that so they can make the adjustments to your policy.

You can register it without an M-license (at least in Illinois). Typically, the dealer handles that for you.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
$0.00....stole it from the dealer

someone said: "drive it like you stole it" ..... so i did.....and i do ;)

10,500rpm around the first corner and never looked back :)
(she's been in the high rpm ever since)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can and should negotiate your best price.

My dealer didn't care if I had a license or not, but they wouldn't let me test ride anything since I didn't. And they delivered it to my house. I actually bought two CBRs and they kept one at the dealer in storage for me until March. It was part of the deal I struck with them.

You should be able to get the insurance coverage without having a motorcycle license, but it costs more that way (I'm an insurance agent, btw). Once you get your license, and if you take the MSF course or join a riders club, you should let your agent know that so they can make the adjustments to your policy.

You can register it without an M-license (at least in Illinois). Typically, the dealer handles that for you.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Great Info! Thank you. Well, im thinking about doing $1,500 down and finance the rest of the bike. But I dont know whats a good price to nego with the dealer? And what I really want to know is, if its possible to finance a bike without the dealer registering it for me until I finish getting my M License.

·
Registered
172 Posts
$3750 OTD used with 684 miles on the ODO, first service already done (have reciept from dealer). Also got 2 quarts of amsoil for bikes.
regards
Badger

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Black ABS $6400 AUD on the the road, 12 months lic & stamp duty.

Seems to cost an extra $1500 for shipping from Thailand to Australia vs the USA.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I think I posted the same thing before in a similar thread, but -

Please, please, please - whatever you pay for your CBR - DO NOT let the salesperson talk you into purchasing an extended warranty for it!

If you do keep it for the entire extended warranty period, the chances of needing to spend the amount of money you gave them up-front for service/repairs is unlikely. If you decide you want to sell it before the end of the coverage period (very likely), you are stuck asking WAY too much for it - desperately trying to recoup some of what you overpaid for it.

Learn how to do the simple stuff (maintenance) yourself, and spend 1/2 of what they want for their extended warranty on some decent tools.

Jay

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think I posted the same thing before in a similar thread, but -

Please, please, please - whatever you pay for your CBR - DO NOT let the salesperson talk you into purchasing an extended warranty for it!

If you do keep it for the entire extended warranty period, the chances of needing to spend the amount of money you gave them up-front for service/repairs is unlikely. If you decide you want to sell it before the end of the coverage period (very likely), you are stuck asking WAY too much for it - desperately trying to recoup some of what you overpaid for it.

Learn how to do the simple stuff (maintenance) yourself, and spend 1/2 of what they want for their extended warranty on some decent tools.

Jay
I kindly appreciate the info, but im not a fool when it comes to stealerships lol. And thank god im a DIY kind of guy! 7 years with mechanic experience.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Paid $4650 out the door. 1 mile on odometer. Well worth it. No the Honda dealer in my area doesnt negotiate.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I kindly appreciate the info, but im not a fool when it comes to stealerships lol. And thank god im a DIY kind of guy! 7 years with mechanic experience.
Good to hear, but a lot of new CBR owners don't have any cycle or mechanical experience and can easily be swayed into thinking they need some type of extra coverage to handle the service requirements.

I meant it more as a heads-up for first time buyers heading into a dealership, so they are prepared for the inevitable pressure from the salesperson to sell them an "extended warranty" or "service contract". It's a huge money-maker for them, probably more profit in it than from the sale of the cycle.

Jay

·
Registered
68 Posts
Same story here I paid full price and fee's. Mine was the first one in my dealer all black non abs I got it early last spring paid maybe $4,700-ish. I agree with Metalstorm though it was a cheap bike and I wanted cheap with a baby on the way. Well worth the money so far its my first bike and I enjoy riding it. In my opinion you should try and get a deal but if your haggling over less than $200-$300 it's a waste of time. Wait until you upgrade to something more powerful like a Ducatti Multistrada or a BMW and haggle the price :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good to hear, but a lot of new CBR owners don't have any cycle or mechanical experience and can easily be swayed into thinking they need some type of extra coverage to handle the service requirements.

I meant it more as a heads-up for first time buyers heading into a dealership, so they are prepared for the inevitable pressure from the salesperson to sell them an "extended warranty" or "service contract". It's a huge money-maker for them, probably more profit in it than from the sale of the cycle.

Jay
I can easily just say no for the extended warranty and service contract right? Or are they going to keep pressuring me on getting it?

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I can easily just say no for the extended warranty and service contract right? Or are they going to keep pressuring me on getting it?
You can absolutely say no, but be prepared to be pressured. Nothing like that is required to keep your cycle in warranty.

It's a huge "upsell" that most sales people are instructed to strongly recommend. Great deal for them, not so great for you.

Jay

1 - 20 of 75 Posts