Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to get my valves looked at the normal 600 mile mark but decided to hold off because of a shady dealer ship. it wasn't the dealership i bought the bike from, and this local Honda dealership may have lied to me. They said they had the flat rate book, and maintenance book for the cbr250r, but they couldn't come up with a price and quoted me at $350 dollars to check the valves. so what did you guys pay for your vavle adjustment?

·
Registered
386 Posts
I was going to get my valves looked at the normal 600 mile mark but decided to hold off because of a shady dealer ship. it wasn't the dealership i bought the bike from, and this local Honda dealership may have lied to me. They said they had the flat rate book, and maintenance book for the cbr250r, but they couldn't come up with a price and quoted me at $350 dollars to check the valves. so what did you guys pay for your vavle adjustment?
I paid $108 for the first service (including the valve check). Valves didn't need adjusting.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I paid about $170 for my first service. They did add a shim, change the oil, lube the chain, etc etc. Had it done at my local Honda Powerhouse dealer.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I haven't had my first service down but was quoted $150 which would include valve adjustment if needed. Western NY dealer.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Service was $150, they charged me another $75 for the valves

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just got mine done....they inspected everything and more. Went to HP4 synthetic, exhaust valves were off so I needed two new shims. Total price $281.63 out the door, after tax, etc.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Total was about $250 for 1st service including valve check...they said all valves were in spec but one was close but still in spec.....which means that probably by now a mere 2 months and 2500 miles later it probably is out of spec (have i ever mentioned how much my shady underhanded dealer disgusts me)

·
Registered
43 Posts
This is interesting how many horror stories I hear about shady dealers on this forum. I mentioned to my service rep that people mention that dealers aren't even checking valve clearances in the 600 mile service and he was very surprised to hear this.

Very interesting.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I paid $220 for the 600 mile service including valve check at the dealer nearest my home in the Chicago suburbs. I was quoted $350 from the Milwaukee-area dealership where I bought the bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well huh. looks like i'm not going to be going to that dealership again. i knew when they told me it was way to high of a price but thanks for all the info. i was going to call and complain about their service to honda, but i doubt they would have done anything.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Dealers are actually HONDA INDEPENDENTDEALERS....in other words they pay Honda a franchise fee just like McDonalds restaurant owners do..unlike McDonalds,Honda dealers can do whatever the crap and charge whatever the crap they want to..cuz they are independently owned""""so you were right to not waste your time even bothering to try to complain to corporate honda about them

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have not had my 600 mile service done yet but I asked my dealer for a price. He told me $389.00 plus cost of shims if needed. Anybody from central california have any better luck?

·
Registered
54 Posts
How much time of labor does it take to inspect the valves and (assuming that the valves are too tight) and to made the adjustments? Because my mechanic charges $80 per hour so it will be a factor of time.

·
Super Moderator
6,937 Posts
How much time of labor does it take to inspect the valves and (assuming that the valves are too tight) and to made the adjustments? Because my mechanic charges $80 per hour so it will be a factor of time.
An experienced motorcycle technician should be able to do the Valve Clearance Inspection and have everything back together on the bike in aprox 1.5 to 2 hours*. If any of the clearances are found to be outside of the factory spec (typically the two exhaust valves being too tight), you can figure about an additional half hour to measure and change out the shims.

* Maybe a bit more time if the tech has not previously done the VCI on the CBR250R.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts