Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
lol, welcome to the forum.

You check the oil by lifting the rear seat.....Owners manual.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey, new guy here.
Just got a CBR250R as my first "real" bike, I am already in love.
Now... owner's manual says you have to peek into the little window when the bike is perfectly level.
Question is... how do I make the bike perfectly level without a friend to hold it while I peek?

The lateral kickstand makes it obviously not level on the Z axis.

I have considered paddock stands, but I understand that while they fix the Z axis they might make it not level on the X axis -- ie the front wheel might sit a bit lower or viceversa.

If the window was on the other side, you could add some bits and wedges under the lateral kickstand and raise it while having a wall or something on the other side to prevent it from falling over as you add bits.

But the window is on the side that would lean against the wall in that scenario.
I guess you could do something with a mirror, but... just... you know.

Any clue?
How do you do it?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1,465 Posts
With the bike on the kickstand, crouch down in front of the oil window, grab the front brake so the bike doesn't roll and tilt the bike towards you until it's level. Take your reading and then ease it back down on the kickstand before releasing the brake.
The bike doesn't have to be "perfectly" level. Just level.
The oil and filter can be changed while the bike is leaning on its kickstand too.
The only time I use my stands is when I'm oiling the chain or doing rear tire work. And of course for Winter storage to keep the tires off the ground to avoid flat spots.
There's plenty you can do on this bike without using stands.

·
Registered
Honda: INNOVA125i(2010); CBR250R(2013)
986 Posts
owner's manual says you have to peek into the little window when the bike is perfectly level.
Question is... how do I make the bike perfectly level without a friend to hold it while I peek?
The surface should be leveled, and you are right that there is a certain difficulty here. You pull the motorcycle towards you, and you have to keep it from falling on you. You have to reach a sense of balance and then look out the window. Your fear is justified, I suggest that the first few times practice on this job with a friend who watches over and keeps the motorcycle from falling, practice a few times until you gain confidence in this action.
I have considered paddock stands, but I understand that while they fix the Z axis they might make it not level on the X axis -- ie the front wheel might sit a bit lower or viceversa.
Yes you are right.
If you want to make a correct measurement on a stand, then you need both the front and the rear stands. Without the front stand it may gives a measurement of about plus 100cc.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The surface should be leveled, and you are right that there is a certain difficulty here. You pull the motorcycle towards you, and you have to keep it from falling on you. You have to reach a sense of balance and then look out the window. Your fear is justified, I suggest that the first few times practice on this job with a friend who watches over and keeps the motorcycle from falling, practice a few times until you gain confidence in this action.
Ah, thanks.
Do you think my Honda dealership carries these "friends"?

(Just kidding!)

Yes you are right.
If you want to make a correct measurement on a stand, then you need both the front and the rear stands. Without the front stand it may gives a measurement of about plus 100cc.
No, I mean even with both stands.
I don't know if it's a suspension thing or whatever, but one wheel appears to "droop" more than the other when on the stands, which makes me doubt the bike is level, like, level-level.

With the bike on the kickstand, crouch down in front of the oil window, grab the front brake so the bike doesn't roll and tilt the bike towards you until it's level. Take your reading and then ease it back down on the kickstand before releasing the brake.
The bike doesn't have to be "perfectly" level. Just level.
Oh well, I just got a better idea.
The first time around I can do this but with having a tree or something besides me, if I am willing to push the bike through a bit of gravel in my driveway.
In the worst case I'll damage some bark on my wooden "friend".

Thanks all, guys!

P.s.: Now, suppose I'm a stickler for "level".
Is there a known spot on the bike that's itself "level" where I could place a... ehm, level?
My eyes are quite frankly useless.

·
Registered
986 Posts
No, I mean even with both stands.
I don't know if it's a suspension thing or whatever, but one wheel appears to "droop" more than the other when on the stands, which makes me doubt the bike is level, like, level-level.
NO NO. An angular deflection due to the shock absorbers is not justified, because the rear stand supports the swing arm, and the front stand supports the lower tube of the front shock absorber.
But it is possible that a tilt angle is obtained due to the different height created by the two different stand (Front and Rear), which grabs the motorcycle at a different place, and at a different height. So you can measuring the clearance of the tyres rubber from the work surface.
And look what you do with the results of that measurement, it is likely that even if you find a different it will be negligible.
P.s.: Now, suppose I'm a stickler for "level".
Is there a known spot on the bike that's itself "level" where I could place a... ehm, level?
My eyes are quite frankly useless.
Good idea(y) I have such a line leveling that I got with my paddock stand set. Now I have to see how to connect it permanent to the motorcycle frame in the area of the oil level inspection window (and the coolant level inspection window)

·
Registered
986 Posts
Oh well, I just got a better idea.
Look, the question about an inspection window Vs' a dipstick is a well known. I personally prefer the dipstick, but the window has the advantages of the window. After a few times you will already understand how to level the motorcycle in the safest and most comfortable way for you.

• Helpful
Reactions: Mory
1 - 17 of 17 Posts