Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I read in the manual to clean the bike, wash it down and then use a leaf blower to dry out all the bike. After this, put a coat of wax and lube all moving parts. Lube the chain after 5 minutes of warm up every time after you wash your bike.

I did my first wash the other day, I took the garden hose, gave it a good spray making sure not to get into the instrument panel and handle bars too much and also not into the muffler or pressure around the rear seat cowl (although i did get some water in the rear seat).

I then took some generic hand soap and a microfiber towel and gave it a good wash, rinsed and then took a leaf blower to dry, especially moving parts like the chain.

I then took some S100 cleaner and gave the fairings a clean. Then I took some mothers liquid wax and applied it to all the plastic pieces. Mistake! the plastic pieces that are not shiny near the side of the tank and the under-cowl hazed a slight white after a while in the sun. I don't know if it was the cleaner or wax, but Im betting on the latter. So note, don't wax the matte plastic parts or the rear hand grips. I obviously did not put wax on the windshield.

I then lastly took some leather/vinyl cleaner/protectant and applied that to the seats and used it to clean the haze off the matte parts and give it a good shine.

The owners manual has a really good section on what to clean with what and what not to wax. Do give that a good read if you haven't cleaned a bike before. Good tips like "do not use a high pressure wash." I took this to mean a garden hose is fine.

I highly recommend the leaf blower and not letting your bike air dry or sit wet.

For the last part, I bought some DuPont chain lube, rode my bike around for 10 minutes, put it on a rear stand and applied lube to the side, bottom and top of the chain.

Microfiber towels are amazing, no lint left behind and don't scratch the surface, buy a pack. Don't use paper towels on the windscreen, it will scratch it.

Anyone got any comments or tips on cleaning the bike? Specifically lubing parts, what else besides the chain needs to be lubed and with what?

·
Registered
999 Posts
On the rare occasion that I wash my bikes (isn't that what riding in the rain is for?) I take them for a 5-10 mile ride to "air dry" them.

You're right about paper towels, they are indeed very abrasive. I used to use paper towels to apply polish to the steel headers of my last bike. That's how abrasive they are :)

My only tip is when using the S100 use lots of water and make sure it's rinsed off completely. It's good stuff but if any stays on the bike you can get nasty oxidation/corrosion. Not a problem if completely rinsed off.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
When it rains, give it death through the puddles.

After hooning around on a beach and copping a bit of salt spray, if it doesn't rain on the way home, find a fresh water stream to ride through. Alternatively, rinse the salt spray off with a squirt from the garden hose.

Don't forget to lube the chain to get that authentic oil spattered finish.

Works OK for me.

When my nieces wanted to earn some pocket money, they offered to clean my MB100, which I had owned for a dozen years by then. After an hour or so of trying they said "Uncle Michael, we can't get it clean!"

I gave them what I said I would, for trying.

That was sixteen years ago, and the bike hasn't been cleaned since. It still goes.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My only tip is when using the S100 use lots of water and make sure it's rinsed off completely. It's good stuff but if any stays on the bike you can get nasty oxidation/corrosion. Not a problem if completely rinsed off.
Interesting as the bottle says no need for water, spray and wipe. How do you figure you need to rinse? Are we talking about the same S100?

·
Registered
269 Posts
i use a chamois to dry off the bike rather than waiting for it to dry or whatever. get a good quality one though, you get what you pay for with those things

·
Registered
999 Posts
Interesting as the bottle says no need for water, spray and wipe. How do you figure you need to rinse? Are we talking about the same S100?
We must be talking about a different S100
I'm thinking of the S100 total cycle cleaner stuff that came out many years ago. It sort of looks & smells like Simple Green.
You spray it on the bike and let in sit for a minute or two to cut through the grease & grime & then you hose it off.

This spray on/wipe off S100 is something new (to me) that I'm not familiar with. Apologies if I created any confusion :eek:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
No worries Metalstorm. Ahh I heard of simple green but they did not have it at my dealership. I think I will try to look for it or the S100 you are talking about as I never feel like spray and wipe things are as good.

Here is a pic of the stuff I bought, it came in a 10oz and 2oz pack. I keep it in my bag to clean off my helmet on the go. Its on there site at http://www.s100.com/s100_ssc.htm

Attachments

·
Registered
999 Posts
The first item on the top row of that site is the stuff I was thinking of.

On Edit: Simple Green is a household degreaser/cleaner usually found in grocery stores in the cleaning section where you find stuff like bleach, 409, etc..
It's strong stuff. I use it on my wheels sometimes when they're bad enough to need it but that's about all I use it on in regards to the bike. It also requires a good thorough rinsing.
It's awesome stuff for around the house.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts