Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got some new bar end weights and I can't figure out how to remove the old ones. The screw just spins the bar end. Is there some sort of trick? I clamped the bar end but could not get the screw to break loose. help?

·
Registered
706 Posts
You need to use an impact screw driver. The screw is designed not to come out haha. It has locking threads built onto it.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Hey Dustin... where in Louisiana are you? Baton Rouge here.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Ah sweet. Too bad you're not a little closer. It'd be nice if there were some folks to ride with over here.

·
Registered
221 Posts
You dont need no impact screw driver.

I took mine off with my hand screw driver just the other day. It does spin, so hold the weight tight with one hand and unscrew the screw hard with a screwdriver in the other hand. It has locktite, so the first thread is hard, but it will come off.

·
Registered
141 Posts
man up...haha j/k. They usually use red loctite which is a PITA to remove stuff, but it does do its job right.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update:

I tried like hell to get the bar end weights off. Tried pure strength with two strong guys, tried and impact screwdriver, finally gave up and went to the Honda shop. Bought the guys there some beers and they took the bike back and removed the end weights. Told me it how unbelievable how hard to remove they were, but wouldn't disclose how. Squirrelly bastards.

·
Registered
221 Posts
the right screwdriver makes a big difference, i used a small stubby one that was rather fat at the end and fit in the Philips screw real snug. A thin one would just have striped the head.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Like I said, their is no magic to it, just hold the weight from spinning, and unscrew it.

Ofically from the shop manual...

If you cant do it, maybe you need to hit the gym!

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
The bar end weight assembly should just pull out of the handlbar, it looks like the pics below. One of mine came out easily and the other one won't come out, at all. At least not yet. It is held inside the handlebar by a small spring clip and rubber washers. Then you can put it in a vise and use an impact screwdriver to loosen the screw, without damaging it.

Cheers, Phil

Attachments

·
Registered
999 Posts
Yes those things are a freaking nightmare to remove. I'm not a weak man. I have to use a torque wrench when changing tires on my Bronco so not to snap the wheel studs. These weights are just simply demonic!
I literally broke the tip off an old high quality craftsman screwdriver trying to loosen them manually. I had to resort to the Dewalt 18 volt impact driver.

I asked my local dealer why the factory uses red locktite and the reason I got was "Because bar end weights are one of the most common things to be stolen off a motorcycle."

I have yet to hear of anyone complain about his or her end weights being stolen. Maybe this is why :D

·
Registered
319 Posts
Iuse red loctite on everything!

I dont buying any other colour one haha

·
Registered
21 Posts
Blue Loctite is a much better solution (service removable) for most applications. Green Loctite (wicking) is best for fasteners that are already together. Red is only for parts that you trudy do not want to come apart and when you do, using heat is the best way to get them apart. My bar end weights had no Loctite on them.

Phil

·
Registered
706 Posts
I thought the screw was a locking thread. I didn't see loctite on mine. Then again that was the first thing I did on mine so it's been a while since I've done it. It did manage to break the tips off my impact screw driver.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I thought the screw was a locking thread. I didn't see loctite on mine. Then again that was the first thing I did on mine so it's been a while since I've done it. It did manage to break the tips off my impact screw driver.
Broke the tip on mine too! Luckily I'd just bought it specifically for this job. Used a different tip, finished the job and returned the impact driver for full refund saying, "Why would I want to exchange it for another one with the same poor quality of bits?"

1 - 20 of 50 Posts