Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Michigan. I just bought my first bike. There probably will be under 100 miles on it by the time winter comes. Once I am done riding it for the winter, what should I do for it? It will have a cover and it will stay inside a garage. But is there something else I should do before or through the winter for my bike? If any of you have advice I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I also live in Mich. I always change oil and filter, lube the chain real good, fill tank and add fuel stable, wash and wax, and hook up a battery tender.

·
Registered
161 Posts
In the US the owners manual isn't as comprehensive as it is in other countries; it says to consult the Honda Winter Storage Guide
available from your dealer.

I just finished gathering everything I need to winterize my bike. Some I had already.

My list is:
- 2 quarts of quality full synthetic oil (Amsoil 10W-40)
- new oil filter/ gasket/ seal washer
- battery tender
- sta-bil fuel stabilizer
- chain lube
- car wash/ microfiber towels
- wax/ polish
- breathable cover
- rear stand
- piece of carpet (to put under front wheel)

Also read this thread

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will look it up, but i've never heard of a battery tender. Does anyone know of a good affordable rear stand?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the info. i looked on batterytender.com and will double check my OWNERS MANUAL to make sure i get the right voltage, amp tender. not sure which one i should get right now. i've always like to ask what people do rather than a generic or vague owners manual. seem to get more info from other riders and their experiences anyways. that's part of the point to these forums right? i will get out my OWNERS MANUAL and give it a read and see what it says.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
A Battery Tender is nice, but you can also just charge it with a standard charger on a regular basis.

Same with a rear stand - it's nice, but not essential, IMO.

Basics of storage (for me) are:

Wash/wax

Full tank of Ethanol-free gas with stabilizer, ride for 10 min to make sure the stabilizer gets to the injectors.

When the engine is still warm, change the oil. Fresh oil, preferably synthetic, is best for protection from corrosion during storage. After changing the oil, run for 10 seconds only - just enough to circulate the fresh oil, but no more. Do not start again until you are ready for a full ride. Starting again during storage to "warm-up" the engine only contaminates the fresh oil.

Block exhaust and intake openings.

Adjust and lube chain.

Check and replace or top-off fluids.

Raise tires to 40 psi.

Cover entire cycle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts