Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Everyone, im a long time member of the original cbr250.com forum for the earlier models of the CBR250 [MC14, MC17, MC19 and MC22] and figured i would register for this forum so i can learn a bit more about this newer MC41 model.

I have so far yet to be impressed. as a hardcore fan of the 45hp original CBR250s [having ridden one and worked on them for a decade] I am rather disappointed that honda went with the single cylinder with such a low power output. but i fully understand that it was designed to be an entry level bike and to keep in line with the new Moto 3 single cylinder 250cc motorcycle racing category, hopefully cashing in on people thinking they are buying the same type of bike they race in the GP.

The biggest concern i have is whilst the suspension looks adequate but it appears to me to be heavily underbraked. A larger front rotor or twin front discs would be much more effective in my opinion. I saw a thread in here where someone was claiming that they could outbrake anyone just because they had ABS. this is rubbish. ABS will never replace good roadcraft and braking skills.

I personally believe with the specifications given by honda, that this model should have been designated the CBR250 F, as it is far from a sports bike, which the R usually denotes. it appears to be more of a hard tourer, albeit a very very small one lol...

The tech involved on this bike has great potential, and it appears that honda [as usual] built it to a very high spec but have detuned this motor rather heavily, but i do not think that any of you will unlock any remotely significant hidden power with a simple can and rejet like with a lot of other bikes. This will require cam regrinds, new pistons for higher compression and a ground up fuel remap.

Please note, i am not a representative of CBR250.com, merely a member...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Welcome. The bike is an entry level bike. It is greatly "detuned." The front brake is adequate for this bike. I think what your accustomed to with the earlier 250's might be leading you to expect too much from the design of this new bike. No one is confusing this bike with a racing bike in this forum.

We look forward to your many contributions based on your experiences.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The tech involved on this bike has great potential, and it appears that honda [as usual] built it to a very high spec but have detuned this motor rather heavily, but i do not think that any of you will unlock any remotely significant hidden power with a simple can and rejet like with a lot of other bikes. This will require cam regrinds, new pistons for higher compression and a ground up fuel remap.
Why would anyone bother with that when we could buy a CBR600RR or GSX-R 600 for less money and get way more performance. As Dave101 said, this is an entry level bike for new riders and commuters, nobody is expecting more or confusing it with an NSF250R.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Its basicallya scooter on steroids. Its alot of fun. My previous bikes have all been larger but I have no problem on this one speed or comfort wise. Used for commuter duty and occasional short road trips. Matter of fact one of the most comfortable bikes to me.
You are right and I do agree about the brakes, all bikes should have dual front discs. At least no rear drum on this one!
Alot of inexperienced riders here think that the abs is a replacement for proper riding techniques.
Maybe Honda will bring back the v-twin VTR250 Interceptor.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you know, i never was a fan of the VTR 250, just wasnt my cup of tea. mind you, the only Vtwins ive ever liked have been the SP1 and the TLR1000 [sans rotary damper - shudder] but i appreciated it for what it was. very nimble though...

good call on scooter on steroids, didnt really think of it that way before. but for all intents and purposes i guess it is.

It could get away with a single front disc but it would need to be much much larger, like a 320mm on the MC19 [original CBR250R] to dissipate the heat better. I reckon your average rookie could cook the front brake on this clutch in coasting down a decent hill pretty fast...

and KVR929RR - the reason i made these statements is that most of the people "wanting more power" are the rookies who have just gotten an entry level bike and get sick of being overtaken by their mates on the bigger bikes, to make up for being too lazy for improving their skills and working on holding corner speed, braking later and accelerating earlier, they all think more power will fix their woes. seen it all dozens of times here in aus as we have had a 250cc Learner max capacity which has just been replaced by a power:weight entry level scheme...

though that being said, the equipment on the old 250s is much better than the kit on these new econo-models...

·
Registered
681 Posts
Its basicallya scooter on steroids.
That's exactly how I see it too.

I found this video on YouTube the other day. In the middle of it, they talk to a guy from Honda that gives a little more perspective on what Honda was trying to accomplish with the bike.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Good video. I down sized and have no problem with the speed or power. Handling is what really surprised me. I can really push the bike to its limits and Im probaly not gonna kill myself.
Since I mainly use it for around town trips, its nice being able to jump on and go. No more waiting for a bike to warm up.

·
Registered
681 Posts
This is my first bike and even though I've yet to ride it, I'm completely confident in my choice. I watched dozens of reviews and read even more and it's hard to find any one who doesn't have great things to say about the CBR250r.

·
Registered
529 Posts
No worries WorM you'll love it.
+1. The bottom line for a bike is this: Do you have fun riding it? The bike is simply really fun to ride. And it asks for so little in return (e.g., maintenance costs, insurance, fuel, parts, purchase price). So not only is it fun to ride - it's easy to keep.

Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts