Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to break off the thread about fuel mileage where the question was raised "How do you get those kiind of numbers!"

So, lets talk about Hypermiling techniques for small displacement street bikes. Why small displacement? Because if I tried some of the things I'm about to mention on my FJR, I'd A) lose my license, B) probably impale myself on the ass end of Hyundai.

First tip. If your not moving, your getting 0mpg. Duh. But this applied to warm up too. Your FI/Choke is on and enrichening the mixture. Even worse! Once the bike will accept a bit of throttle, start riding. Just do it gently until it warms up fully.

Accelerating gently. Myth. Accelerate 'briskly' and shift at the engines torque peak (6K on the CBR). Get into a cruising gear as quickly as possible. You will find in even on the 250 you can't do it all the time as your outpacing traffic. In those case, shift up, then wait until you can give it the beans to get up to speed. Accelerating gently while being held up by traffic in front of you will kill mileage!

Coast when you can. I'm lucky in that a live in a hilly area. Pull the clutch in and coast going downhill. Enjoy the quiet and the sound of the wind. Match engine speed back to your cruising rpm and let the clutch out smoothly. If you can, fudge the uphill part buy gaining a little extra speed on the downhill part. If it all possible, avoid rolling on the throttle to maintain speed. Better to hold where your at and lose a few ticks on the speedometer. Don't get your ass run over doing this though!

Cruising RPM. It doesn't take much power to maintain typical city velocities. The little CBR doesn't seem to like the RPM's below about 3000 though. I get it into [email protected] to maintain speed. If you feel the bike is 'snatchy' or you hear the chain slapping. Shift down a gear and get the revs up a bit. Everybike is a little different.

Pace the lights. This is easier said than done depending on the traffic. But pays huge dividends in consumption. Do NOT downshift (see coasting above) to use engine braking, downshift to match gear to speed with the clutch in, so when it comes time to get back up to speed, you don't find yourself in to high a gear. Anytime your on the brakes, you've essentially wasted the gas getting to a speed that was to fast for conditions. Widen the gap to the vehicle in front of you. Don't worry, some cage will fill the spot and your back to square one :D

Some advocate engine off coasting, or shutting the engine off when stopped for a light. The first one is dangerous and frankly not worth it. The CBR uses so little fuel at idle (unless your a squid who uses every set of lights to revel in the sound of one lunger) that shutting it off at lights won't make much of a difference overall.

Pulse and glide. Haven't tried it, but given that I refuse to tuck to maximize my glide, I'd spend most of time on the gas getting back up to speed.

Drafting. If I see anybody drafting I'll personally kick you the balls. Yes, it works, and yes, it will get you killed dead.

Bike Setup/Maintenance. Over inflate your tires a bit, I've been running 38-40lbs of air since new. No abnormal wear patterns on the tires, just a slightly harsher ride, but their is a gain from less rolling resistance. Run the chain lubed and slightly loose. Make sure their is plenty of freeplay in the clutch cable when engaged.

Measurement. Use Fuelly.com. Use it EVERYTIME you fill up. Try to fill up the same way everytime. I fill up on the sidestand till the fuel level 'just' completely covers the plate. I get 6 bars for about 30-40km. It doesn't really matter much, only for range. If you use fuelly consistently, the fuel fill up discrepancies will get 'taken care of in the wash'. When using Fuelly, I have it set to km/L. This gives a much finer readout of avg/best.

There you have it, the only major thing I do is coast when I need to slow down or come to a stop. You'll be shocked how far you can coast at low speeds where the aero's don't really come into play (much). Do it on the highway and you'll think somebody threw out an anchor!

My Fuelly: WeeBR (Honda CBR250R) | Fuelly

Consumption since new:

UK/mpg:
Avg: 94.3
Best: 102
km/L:

Avg: 33.4
Best: 36.1
I'll be installing an MPGuino this spring that will hopefully work on the CBR. Then we can start with some hard data.

So lets here them, share your tips.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Good information. I practice a lot of that by habit but lack the self control to do it all the time as I like to accelerate (even if it isn't fast).

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Ecomodder has good discussions and tips.
100+ Hypermiling / ecodriving tips & tactics for better mpg - EcoModder.com
Hypermiling is the new form of street competition. Safer and greener than street racing and just as technical and techniqeual. The most aggressive hypermiling technique is engine off coasting with 95% throttle pulse and glide at the target rpm which on the CBR250R will be either side of 5,500 rpm. A team did that in a Prius up and down from 40 mph to 33 mph, which apparently involves nothing more than your right foot in that car, and got... Wait for it... 109 mpgUS! 48 hours. 5 different drivers. 1300 miles on real roads in a loop. Not just some one tank wonder. This can be done all day long in a stock Prius. Hypermiling is a fun game. I don't do any of that to hit 87 mpg though. But I will on the track at Watkins Glen in April where I hope to go well over 100mpg since the average speed for the 100 mile event is required to be 49-54 mph exactly.
Green Grand Prix, Watkins Glenn, NY USA in April - Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com
Another fun event I want to attend will be the Vetter challenge at Mid Ohio during the AMA vintage racing days. July 20 and 21. Allen Smith's streamlined Ninja will break 100 mpg while hammering at 75 mph. And place second! To Fred Hayes' land speed bodied diesel at 140 mpg!
Craig Vetter Fuel Economy better mileage
I normally just use a clean tuck on the highway and good clutch in coasting up to stop signs and lights with 80% throttle on the other side through first and second and then straight into 6th. Every time you touch the brakes, you are wasting gas.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Try it if you are comfortable with it. Hypermiling is an advanced riding style just as much as some sport riding techniques and should never be pushed toward any limit of safety. Awareness, including what is happening behind you since you are now not the fastest vehicle on the street, shooting forward into gaps to race up to the next light to slam on the brakes, and fore thought are still important even though you are going slow.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Yeah I think I can manage it. I've already been trying to conserve more and drive less agressively. People are on my ass more, but I've been getting more used to looking out for that sort of thing now.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
with this bike..i cant help wide open throttle from a stop light,especially if other cars are there..just to smoke em the first 100 yards tho alot of them do eventually catch up and overtake me because they have floored it because they are pricks anyway..so i dont care...other than that i usually ride reserved..averaging 74mpg since the day i bought the bike...thats more than good enough for me..

·
Registered
706 Posts
with this bike..i cant help wide open throttle from a stop light,especially if other cars are there..just to smoke em the first 100 yards tho alot of them do eventually catch up and overtake me because they have floored it because they are pricks anyway..so i dont care...other than that i usually ride reserved..averaging 74mpg since the day i bought the bike...thats more than good enough for me..
50% of normal daily driver cars are faster then this 250... why bother. You said you have a Cherokee, I'd bet it would be neck and neck with it.

·
745 Posts
I understand the hypermiling lure.... but on even a semi-busy highway it can be maddening to be behind someone doing it. Some of the guys in the Priuses will go 60+ down a hill only be running 30 when they top the next one.

IMO, trying to hypermile on a two-lane road during rush hour (as some of these guys do) is suicidal. Even if you don't trigger road-rage in some minivan-driving cuckold, you're likely to get run over by the local soccer-mom who's talking on the phone and sipping Starbucks....

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I should have added "depending on where and when and how you do it".
Don't be sorry, this is an important point. Getting an extra 15% in gas mileage isn't worth getting killed because your blocking/outrunning traffic. Their is lots of times where doing so just isnt' feasible.

Don't be a prick about it!

Getting an increase of 15% when your car or truck only gets 15mpg is pretty significant, getting an extra 15% at 75 mpg is a larger number and sounds like a huge cost saving, but it's not.

Anybody care to take a guess as why?

EDIT: HAHAH! Sorry, I need to stop posting msgs when I've only been out of bed for a few minutes! My bad :D

·
Registered
999 Posts
If I had to guess I would guess volume.
15-20 gal tank vs 3.4 gal tank.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Two things happen when you try to improve on 80 mpg by 15% and end up at 92mpg. It sounds like a big jump. A 12 mpg improvement. But it is still just 15%. The same as the truck that goes from 16 mpg to 18.4. So the guy in the SUV probably thinks "why bother". "It's only 2 mpg." Here is why. I have a specialized job so I drive over 20,000 miles per year to get back and forth to work. At 80 mpg I would use 250 gallons of gas per year. At 91 mpg I could save 37.5 gallons. Nothing to sneeze at but not worth putting anyone in danger over. Which is why even the most serious hypermilers don't engage in the most advanced techniques that can bring 40% improvements such as engine off pulse and glide, on a daily basis, saving this for special occasions just as a proof of concept. As fuel really gets tight in 100 years we will have to switch to series hybrid electrics which operate the gas engine in this mode without changing the available speed of the vehicle. Back to the SUV. His annual fuel consumption is 1,250 gallons for the same drive. A 15% improvement will save 187.5 gallons even though it is "only" 2.4 mpg different. He saves $1000 a year just from not racing up to the next red light only to slam on the brakes. For me, riding for good economy is not a concession. It is just normal. And riding an 80 mpg motorcycle daily instead of a 20 mpg Sport Ute is leading by example to shift the paradigm. To show that 80 mpg at 65 mph is possible, and put a big number out there for people to shoot for so they can realize that trading to a car that gets 28mpg is still way too thirsty. If the CBR250R were streamlined according to Vetter's dream, it would get 100mpgUS at 65 mpg by every rider, without tucking, warm and dry, and carrying all your groceries or luggage. Honda could build it today if they thought anyone would buy it.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts