Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the heading but this is a dilema!

2012 CBR 250r.

Runs then dies on a fully charged battery. If I charge battery it’ll run. Otherwise it will just crank and drain the battery even more. Not the battery, fuel system, throttle body, stator or rectifier, or wiring harness. Swapped all these parts from wiring bike and no issues on other engine and didn’t change anything on my bike.

Any suggestions or test??

Also the engine is newly rebuilt if that helps, new crankshaft, piston, cylinder header, cylinder.

I have a video of me starting bike, not sure how to upload.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts

2012 CBR 250r.

Runs then dies on a fully charged battery. If I charge battery it’ll run. Otherwise it will just crank and drain the battery even more. Not the battery, fuel system, throttle body, stator or rectifier, or wiring harness. Swapped all these parts from wiring bike and no issues on other engine and didn’t change anything on my bike.

Also the engine is newly rebuilt if that helps, new crankshaft, piston, cylinder header, cylinder.

Have you checked the battery voltage at different times?

Have you checked the charging system output at idle and around 5000 RPMs?

Are you saying it will run immediately after charging the battery to 100% (12.7V +) but dies shortly after? When it quits, what is the battery voltage?

Seems like it all suggests you are not getting adequate charging.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you checked the battery voltage at different times?

Have you checked the charging system output at idle and around 5000 RPMs?

Are you saying it will run immediately after charging the battery to 100% (12.7V +) but dies shortly after? When it quits, what is the battery voltage?

Seems like it all suggests you are not getting adequate charging.
Idk if this is against the rules but do you have facebook?

By charging output do you mean stator ac test? At 4K It’s consistent around 65.

I have a video showing the multimeter the whole time.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Idk if this is against the rules but do you have facebook?

By charging output do you mean stator ac test? At 4K It’s consistent around 65.

I have a video showing the multimeter the whole time.
I don't do facebook, but I mean just reading the voltage output at the battery.

Does it run fine for a while with a fully charged battery, then not?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't do facebook, but I mean just reading the voltage output at the battery.

Does it run fine for a while with a fully charged battery, then not?
Yeah it runs fine, then all of a sudden battery is drained. Turning it on after it dies won’t work till i charge battery again or let it cool down

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Yeah it runs fine, then all of a sudden battery is drained. Turning it on after it dies won’t work till i charge battery again or let it cool down
How long does it run?

Check the voltage at idle and 5000 RPMs. It doesn't sound like it's charging or the battery is weak/not accepting a charge.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Recheck your stator coil by checking the voltage at the battery terminals thru a multi-meter with the bike spinning at 5k RPM with High Beam on, it should be somewhere close to 13.5 to 15.5 volts. It's too high or too low, your stator coil or the RR is shot. If everything's fine, it's probably your battery, nothing else.

Cheers!
VJ

·
Registered
8 Posts
Recheck your stator coil by checking the voltage at the battery terminals thru a multi-meter with the bike spinning at 5k RPM with High Beam on, it should be somewhere close to 13.5 to 15.5 volts. It's too high or too low, your stator coil or the RR is shot. If everything's fine, it's probably your battery, nothing else.

Cheers!
VJ
He's right, but when checking the Stator wires, it's AC on the meter, and at the Battery, it's DC. The R/R is what changes the voltage and dumbs it down for the Battery not to overheat. It sounds like the R/R got fried but check the volts from the stator first; if they're within spec, it's the R/R for sure since we know the Battery holds a charge.

·
Registered
8 Posts

2012 CBR 250r.

Sounds like you are the dilemma LOL!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He's right, but when checking the Stator wires, it's AC on the meter, and at the Battery, it's DC. The R/R is what changes the voltage and dumbs it down for the Battery not to overheat. It sounds like the R/R got fried but check the volts from the stator first; if they're within spec, it's the R/R for sure since we know the Battery holds a charge.
Took girlfriends stator and placed it in mine, same problem. It is not the stator.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts