Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Friends sorry to say
But I lost balance while stopping my cbr250r and the weight came on one side and i was unable to keep it lifted in right up position,so what i did was slowly rested my bike on the ground and got down and lifted it up..
nothing happened to the bike not even a single scratch
But when i inspected the area on the right side where it went down some water and some dark green colored oil was spilled on the road.
So i am worried what that might be ??please tell any further precautions or things that i need to do now..
Please excuse if this sounds silly as its my first bike and don't know much about coolant changing filter levels ,oil changing ,water levels and so on..And also how aften you need to change this things??
Thank you !!

·
Registered
879 Posts
Glad there was no damage to the bike you were lucky. Seems like sooner or later we all drop one for some reason. Tipped my goldwing over in the driveway wow that was a ball buster to get back up.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Your owner's manual will have the info you seek regarding checking coolant & oil and how often to change etc.. You should give it a good read to become familiar with your bike. It sounds like you definitely need to add some coolant to your tank. The one down low behind the engine on the right side, not the radiator itself.

Honda says change the oil every 8K miles (6K km?) but I feel that is way too long between changes. That is partly because I'm used to old machines that did not have the tolerances of today's finely engineered engines. I'm sure Honda has it right but I will be changing mine every 4K miles because I continue to use dino oil rather than synthetic and it's not too much $$ for some peace of mind.

I'll throw a +1 to 250 Tom's post.
Yes these things will happen.

I remember back in 07. I rode my Buell to Monterey for the GP race and I was hanging out downtown. I got on my bike to leave and my left foot found a slick spot and down I went. I stopped the bike from falling. I stopped it about an inch short of making contact with the street but being as I was straddling the bike, I didn't have any leverage to get it back up vertical so I was just stuck holding it there.
Thankfully there were a couple riders suiting up a 1/4 block up and they came & gave me a hand.
I was quite embarrassed to say the least. I had at that point 22 years experience and was still susceptible to common mistakes like footing.
It would have been avoidable had I minded my surroundings but I was distracted by the large gathering of motorcycle enthusiasts and well, I was just too busy being human :)

·
Registered
426 Posts
yes op. these things happen. good that there was no apparent damage. Almost did that 2x on previous bikes (both scooters)

once on my 150cc. come to a red light and stopped. put foot down and road was 2in lower than expected. Road was rutted from constant bus traffic. so was higher in middle. foot came down in lower part.

2nd was coming from the 150 to a 450lb 500cc scooter. Was used to the weight of the 150. Rolled up to a stop sign and was just going to slow and go. but a car was coming so i stopped. Wheel was already turned to right and road was uphill a bit and banked to right. Bike started a slowww put down. but i somehow caught it half way and muscled it back up. Just lucky that i had good footing and no gravel on road.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
No worries bro! Happens to us all....it's not IF you drop your bike it's WHEN you drop it. There's that sweet spot where there is no recovery, no matter how light the bike or strong we are. It just goes down, and yes, it's embarrassing. I say when it happens, kick the bike and say..."and you stay there"!!!!! and walk away lol:D

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
^^^^ha ha! Anything else in your coffee??????:confused:;)

·
Registered
576 Posts
it does happen unfortunately.
when i was a kid i was coming to a red light with a car already stopped infront of me at the light.
i was almost to a stop and the front tire hit a tiny little oil spot.
went right down,nothing really hurt but my pride:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
@ metalstrom : Well the manual doesn't look so clear in the images part . But Thank you for the response ...Its useful to me even its a smallest thing you said...and liked reading your experience too :) .But tell you i was not embarrassed at all ppl watching me I was more worried about the bike.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No worries bro! Happens to us all....it's not IF you drop your bike it's WHEN you drop it. There's that sweet spot where there is no recovery, no matter how light the bike or strong we are. It just goes down, and yes, it's embarrassing. I say when it happens, kick the bike and say..."and you stay there"!!!!! and walk away lol:D
Lol that was very funny :) ..but you said it right ..thanks

·
Registered
706 Posts
First week into owning mine I thought I had the kick stand all the way down. When I got off the bike I found out otherwise... lol. I was holding it the whole way down and it scuffed up the outside of my mirror but that was it.

I'm glad these things are so light!

·
Registered
323 Posts
I dropped mine today, or more accurately my garage door caught the handle of my rear stand and let the bike down. It's ok though my car got the brunt of it and I only broke my right mirror, the windshield rattles more now, there's a dent in my car and the beautiful stock exhaust has a screw indentation. No scratches that I can detect though.:confused:

·
Registered
160 Posts
JJD - In 35 odd years of riding I never dropped a bike.

That makes me a liar at least 5 times over. The spectacular high speed low siders are best told over coffee.

But the worst ones I had were the stationary or near stopped ones. urgh.

Case in point: riding two up w gf on Harley Road King (fuel injection was still newish at the time), came up to hairpin intersection on a hill. I stop, guy (cager) on the main road stops. I think he wants to turn in and is waiting for to clear out of the smallish side street. So I start rolling into sharp right hand down hill turn, suddenly he starts moving again. I pull hard on brake lever, dead stop and put right foot down as I was already slightly tipped. TYoo bad the road was about 4 inches lower. Half a frikking ton slowly went over, it felt like the Titanic. Nobody hurt. But the bike is on its side, tilted head over heels, petite GF watches me grunting my back into this thing (plus some other spectators). Finally get it up, and of xourse the automatic cut out that killed the engine also screwed up the injection royally. So I had the added humiliation of riding home sputtering and backfiring. Then of course GF (whose Dad and brothers all rode) loved to say that we never ever came off or dropped a bike unless it was stationary.

Bro (or Sistah, whichever it is) glad to hear that your bike is fine and you don;t have pride issues. S..t like this happens.

Have a great New Year 2012 riding your heart out. Remember when you ride (and when you stop) you just have to be switched on all the time :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
JJD - In 35 odd years of riding I never dropped a bike.

That makes me a liar at least 5 times over. The spectacular high speed low siders are best told over coffee.

But the worst ones I had were the stationary or near stopped ones. urgh.

Case in point: riding two up w gf on Harley Road King (fuel injection was still newish at the time), came up to hairpin intersection on a hill. I stop, guy (cager) on the main road stops. I think he wants to turn in and is waiting for to clear out of the smallish side street. So I start rolling into sharp right hand down hill turn, suddenly he starts moving again. I pull hard on brake lever, dead stop and put right foot down as I was already slightly tipped. TYoo bad the road was about 4 inches lower. Half a frikking ton slowly went over, it felt like the Titanic. Nobody hurt. But the bike is on its side, tilted head over heels, petite GF watches me grunting my back into this thing (plus some other spectators). Finally get it up, and of xourse the automatic cut out that killed the engine also screwed up the injection royally. So I had the added humiliation of riding home sputtering and backfiring. Then of course GF (whose Dad and brothers all rode) loved to say that we never ever came off or dropped a bike unless it was stationary.

Bro (or Sistah, whichever it is) glad to hear that your bike is fine and you don;t have pride issues. S..t like this happens.

Have a great New Year 2012 riding your heart out. Remember when you ride (and when you stop) you just have to be switched on all the time :)

Truly said....It happens ..loved to read your experience specially the way you wrote ...Thank you ...You too have a great new year...:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts