Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
and I'm sick and tired of it, so please:
  • Report spam you see on the site - I will get it off as quickly as possible.
  • If you have time, please sign the spammer up for as many mailing lists as you can. If every member of cbr250.net signed up a guy for five mailing lists, he'd probably get a thousand emails a day.
The last one is only slightly tongue-in-cheek. Of course, I would NEVER suggest giving these a$$holes a taste of their own medicine.... However, I will be posting email addresses, just so I can keep track of who keeps signing up.

dongylimited at live.com
mobitelcoltd at msn.com
sales.jason at adexec.com
salesorder at eb2a.com

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Hey Luke, I know you really love spam. It justifies your existence as a moderator, and save you from taking time to get involved in internet arguments.

Seriously though, you are doing a good job of removing those iPhone ads and the like. Well done.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
They do seem very keen on cbr250.net ,

Make a Phone section for them.

·
Registered
111 Posts
As a sysadmin by day (and often by night), I'd say it's not worth much by trying to retaliate against spammers by trying to spam them back. All the major email providers do a decent job at spam filtering, so they won't see it anyway.

If you have the spare time, you can try to contact the email provider's abuse department and have their account shut down. But this probably doesn't do much in the long run either, since the spammers probably already have a few dozen accounts waiting in reserve.

One thing I did on a website that I maintain is ask a question related to the website's content on signup and either approve or disapprove the account based on the answer. This worked wonders for identifying spammer accounts. In my case, it was a Linux website, so I asked, "Which Linux distribution do you use or would like to try?" If they answered with something like "California" or "my favorite color is purple", they got the boot. You could try asking a motorcycle related question. One that almost anyone interested in the site would probably know but that spammers hawking fake iPhones wouldn't. (At least not without a bit of research.) Like how many cc is the engine in the CBR250R? Or how many spark plugs does it have? Something along those lines.

·
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I actually like that idea... "On page xx of your owner's manual, the valve clearance is how many millimeters?" maybe too tough?

Or we could do a test to prove that the signee has at least looked at the site:

What countries do the following members hail from?

• Micheal
  • Aufitt
  • Wynne G Oldman
  • feliz
Or we could pose questions to start fights ( Hint: "don't know" or "don't care" is automatic rejection):

• Does ABS result in shorter stopping distances regardless of the skill of the rider?
  • Is it a waste of money to heavily customize your bike?
  • Should you downshift or coast while slowing for a stop sign?
  • Should riders be required to wear protective gear?
Last but not least we could pose questions to require extensive research in order to join:

• What is the diameter in millimeters of the plastic push-pins used to secure the upper flange of the fairing to the fairing panel?
  • What color wire provides positive DC to the license plate light?
  • How many screws secure the headlight assembly to the nose fairing, and what tool is required to remove them?
Or, I guess we could just keep playing whack-a-mole, which is what will ultimately happen....

·
Registered
220 Posts
I think something from the service manual would be the best, alternatively a simple bike related question (size of spanner to loosen the rear axle nut, for instance).

·
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The problem is that there are a significant number of members who don't have the hardware when they join - right now, there are several that posted recently that they're waiting for delivery.

We want those people - they add a lot to the conversation and can greatly benefit from the information posted here. Unfortunately, "eil" is probably correct - really nothing to do but keep shoveling sh*t against the tide.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Valid point, that. Perhaps using a filter for certain words for posters with a count of less than 3 such as buy/phone/cheap etc (post will not be up till moderated) might lessen the load?

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
I actually like that idea... "On page xx of your owner's manual, the valve clearance is how many millimeters?" maybe too tough?

Or we could do a test to prove that the signee has at least looked at the site:

What countries do the following members hail from?

• Micheal
  • Aufitt
  • Wynne G Oldman
  • feliz
Or we could pose questions to start fights ( Hint: "don't know" or "don't care" is automatic rejection):

• Does ABS result in shorter stopping distances regardless of the skill of the rider?
  • Is it a waste of money to heavily customize your bike?
  • Should you downshift or coast while slowing for a stop sign?
  • Should riders be required to wear protective gear?
Last but not least we could pose questions to require extensive research in order to join:

• What is the diameter in millimeters of the plastic push-pins used to secure the upper flange of the fairing to the fairing panel?
  • What color wire provides positive DC to the license plate light?
  • How many screws secure the headlight assembly to the nose fairing, and what tool is required to remove them?
Or, I guess we could just keep playing whack-a-mole, which is what will ultimately happen....
~Aufitt looks for the 'LIKE' button for this post~

:D

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
The problem is that there are a significant number of members who don't have the hardware when they join - right now, there are several that posted recently that they're waiting for delivery.

We want those people - they add a lot to the conversation and can greatly benefit from the information posted here. Unfortunately, "eil" is probably correct - really nothing to do but keep shoveling sh*t against the tide.
I'm one of them who is still without. I think if we all report them and of course, don't buy anything, it might be the most workable solution. I have a friend with a much smaller forum site, and he reviews each new member. I think for a site of this size, that's not practical.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts