Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just adjusted my chain for the first time, i have done about 325 Km, the Honda dealer offered to adjust it for free after 300 Km but i decided to do it myself.

The adjustment was easy enough using the side stand and following the instructions in the handbook. Just be careful to find the slackest part of the chain first by moving the bike forwards and checking a couple of different spots.

I then applied some BEL-RAY "NEW SuperClear" spray on Chain Lube, sprayed to the sprocket side of the chain it turns white as it is applied this makes it easy to see where you have applied it, moving the bike forward again to ensure that the whole chain is covered. It then recommends you leave it to dry for 15 mins.

I will let you know if there is much "flick off" when ridden next.

Cheers

Paul :cool:

·
Registered
879 Posts
The job is much easier if you use a stand. Better than rolling the bike around. I would not like chain lube that turnes white?? . I use a spray on chain wax that stays put never flings off or makes a mess

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The job is much easier if you use a stand. Better than rolling the bike around. I would not like chain lube that turnes white?? . I use a spray on chain wax that stays put never flings off or makes a mess
Sounds like the BEL RAY should be good and i'm not sure how long it will stay white for. A stand would be better i agree, i was thinking of getting a paddock stand like this Third Gear Rear Universal Motorcycle Motocross Paddock Race Stand - Red | eBay

What do you think?
Cheers
Paul

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Just put a trolley jack under the shock linkage, and spin the wheel while you apply the chainlube.
problem with 'moving the bike forward' etc is uneven application.

I use the ugly belray white stuff, the clear you use would be would be cleaner.
But always lube at the end of a ride and run the chain at 35mm slack.

6000km , 4 trackdays, umpteen wheelies, and 4x 700km day trips-
Still have not adjusted the chain.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I have not adjusted the chain. Seems ok after 4000 miles. I will actually look at it again, but it was on the looser end of a highway 1700 mile trip, so I assume it is tighter now.

My stand only partially works for the CBR(low profile stand has issues raising the wheel, so I was throwing wood underneath while trying to hold up the bike myself) and I found it actually wasted more time to try to get it on w/o a helper.

So if I'm by myself, I just go to the top of the driveway and rolls it backwards. I just use gear oil and a brush so application is mostly even on the chain.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Pick up rear end of bike with right arm, slide piece of 2X4 under right leg of rear swing arm. Spin wheel and apply Dupont Chain wax. No adjustment needed at 5000 miles, just over 8000 KM. I can feel the slack in the chain when riding, when it will need an adjustment, from experience with many other bikes. My 71 CB 350 has the original chain at 40 years old and 5400 miles. It's not an o-ring chain.

regards
Badger

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pick up rear end of bike with right arm, slide piece of 2X4 under right leg of rear swing arm. Spin wheel and apply Dupont Chain wax. No adjustment needed at 5000 miles, just over 8000 KM. I can feel the slack in the chain when riding, when it will need an adjustment, from experience with many other bikes. My 71 CB 350 has the original chain at 40 years old and 5400 miles. It's not an o-ring chain.

regards
Badger
I needed to make a slight adjustment only one or two mil, is DuPont Cain wax better than BEL-RAY?
Cheers
Paul

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
Different; it has teflon.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I usw Maxima's racing oils Chain wax. No flin been using for 8 years. Tried others that claim no fling but found only chain wax doesnt.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Regular use of chainlube is more important than splitting hairs over which brand to use.
As long as its a motorcycle chainlube eg Motul Belray etc, its good to go.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
kinda odd ..its called "NEW SuperClear" but it turns white when it dries? dupont chain lube here..i have adjusted my chain once also a few thousand miles ago..I adjusted it to the minimum spec...i check it every 500 milkes like the manual states to do...3000 miles later and the chain has only stretched a little bit...wont have to adjust it again for another 10,000 miles at this rate :)

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
kinda odd ..its called "NEW SuperClear" but it turns white when it dries? dupont chain lube here..i have adjusted my chain once also a few thousand miles ago..I adjusted it to the minimum spec...i check it every 500 milkes like the manual states to do...3000 miles later and the chain has only stretched a little bit...wont have to adjust it again for another 10,000 miles at this rate :)

Just been out to look at the chain (following day) and the whiteness has indeed gone.............:)

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Checked my chain again after 1700 miles of highway last week. Still the same measurement of about an inch(just a tad over actually)
:cool:

·
Registered
119 Posts
325km seems veeerry early to be needing a lube, never mind a chain adjustment. Guess it depends on climate and conditions. Good job doing it yourself though!

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
325km seems veeerry early to be needing a lube, never mind a chain adjustment. Guess it depends on climate and conditions. Good job doing it yourself though!
had my 1st service done around 520 miles...dealer said chain was in spec when i asked him....yeah..for $300 1st service you think they would have went ahead and adjusted it since I double checked it when i got it back home and it was already right at the maximum spec..(punk ripoff dealer slackers).
so it must have left the factory that way and not stretched in 500 miles. i guess for the same reason i had loose adjuster nuts on the bike when i got it too..

and lubing at every 500 miles isnt set in stone..no problem in lubing more often..

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Someone who owns a motorcycle should at least be able to adjust and lube a chain by him/herself.

I'm not surprised that it needed adjustment so early; it is all part of the bedding in during those first few hundred km. After that an O-ring chain should seldom need further adjustment. Just clean if necessary, and lube as required, when it looks a bit dry.

When an O-ring chain does start to need frequent adjustment, it will be near the end of its service life.

Easy compared to days of yore, when standard chains needed frequent attention but were still good for only about a third to a half the distance of an O-ring chain.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts