Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone.

This past Saturday I sadly crashed my CBR250R at a track day in Canaan NH. Just before my 5th session I put on a brand new Dunlop Sportmax rear. The IRC that was on there had slid out on me once during the morning because I leaned farther than its profile goes. It was at the end of its life so I decided just to put a new tire on from the Dunlop guys there. I do know that with new tires you have to take it easy and wear them in. Well apparently I didnt take it easy enough. After coming out of the pits and entering the first corner at 30 mph, the rear tire slid out on me. Before I had time to realize what happened the rear gripped and sent me ass over tea kettle and looking at the ground. The bike landed on its left side and made a horrible crunching sound from breaking plastic. As for me, I landed on my right shoulder and then rolled 3-4 times. I had the same sensationin my shoulder as when I broke my left collar bone about 5 years ago so I immediately knew something was wrong when I stood up. After a visit to local clinic and having an X-ray I was right in what I felt. Gladly it is only a small fracture and I should have some mobility back in about 2 weeks. Some how my helmet also made it out with only a small scratch. Its only the paint that got scraped off.

Damage: Broken foot peg, bent shift lever (we bent it back out so we could shift it), bent left handle bar, dents in gas tank from bar, scratched clutch lever and bar end, Pretty much all left side fairings scratched/ cracked, front fender cracked.

PICTURES
Motorcycle Crash - Album on Imgur

So I guess the lesson learned here is too take it extremely easy on new tires.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Glad you came out with only minor injuries. You should definitively replace that helmet. There is no telling how much energy the internal components have absorbed and as you surely know they can do that only once. :(

·
Registered
202 Posts
Sorry to hear. I'm glad you made it out not too bad and lived to learn and warn others about it. I agree to replace the helmet.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Looks like the bike did a great job protecting the majority of itself. As long as the forks are ok, it looks like you're looking at <$200 in parts. :)

Glad you and the bike came out (relatively) unscathed.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
general recommendations for wearing in new tyres
include not braking or leaning hard, running tyre up to temp
scrubbing or scuffing tyres, using correct pressures,
and progressive increase of lean angles..
so for an idea, ride as if for the wet
or potentially slippery surfaces, gravel etc..

i ride up along a straight road, or up and down
u-turn, cont, or around the block a few times
on new tyres to make sure theyre up to temp..
without needing to brake or lean hard..

doesnt hurt to give them a good wash/scrub,
and some blokes use abrasives etc..
main go is to take it easy on them..

tyres do need to 'bed into' their rims
altho some dispute this.. seems self evident..
[talking about road tyres here]

expensive lesson.. but it could have been worse..
any chance of insurance cover[?] could have
happened on the way there, perhaps..

Running in New Motorcycle Tyres

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like the bike did a great job protecting the majority of itself. As long as the forks are ok, it looks like you're looking at <$200 in parts. :)

Glad you and the bike came out (relatively) unscathed.
so far everything looks straight. The bill is just under $400 but thats because I am putting on Vortex clip ons and getting other random parts and tools but yes for the plastics it is just about $200.

general recommendations for wearing in new tyres
include not braking or leaning hard, running tyre up to temp
scrubbing or scuffing tyres, using correct pressures,
and progressive increase of lean angles..
so for an idea, ride as if for the wet
or potentially slippery surfaces, gravel etc..

i ride up along a straight road, or up and down
u-turn, cont, or around the block a few times
on new tyres to make sure theyre up to temp..
without needing to brake or lean hard..

doesnt hurt to give them a good wash/scrub,
and some blokes use abrasives etc..
main go is to take it easy on them..

tyres do need to 'bed into' their rims
altho some dispute this.. seems self evident..
[talking about road tyres here]

expensive lesson.. but it could have been worse..
any chance of insurance cover[?] could have
happened on the way there, perhaps..

Running in New Motorcycle Tyres
Well being at a trackday I couldn't really do anything before going out. I had only had the tire on for a few minutes before heading out onto the track.

I was taken aback a bit when the rear slid out. The first corner is usually a 45-50 mph curve so I thought 30mph would have been slow enough. I also leaned off the bike to make sure it stood up as much as possible.

As for insurance. I only have liability so no way of convincing them of paying for it :wink2: nice thinking though

·
Registered
322 Posts
Sorry to hear. At least it's not going to break the bank to repair it, and you managed to get away with relatively minor injuries. +1 on a new lid.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Some helmet manufacturers will inspect the helmet and tell you whether or not it needs to be replaced. Depending on how pricey the helmet it, that might be worth doing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts