Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The AX-1 is a Japanese market version of the NX250. It was also sold in some other countries around the Asia Pacific region. I saw this one in a supermarket parking lot where I stopped off this evening, on the way back from a trip to the beach.

It weighs in 133 kg (wet) and has a reasonably sized 9 litre tank. With an OK looking seat, a bit of a carrier and other points you could bungie gear to, it seems a more practical adventure machine than the more sporty looking CRF250.

I am starting to see a few of the latter around. Few, if any, seem to have been used off the road.

I tried my camera out in the water for the first time today.

·
2,015 Posts
Having used an NX250 off road, I can assure you that it is a compromise bike, but, if the terrain isn't too difficult, it will do the job for you.

I found that as I aged, I needed a smaller and lighter bike for riding dirt. I managed to trap myself under it riding the Sheetiron 300 with my son, and decided that the time for a smaller bike had arrived back in 2009. The A-1 version is where a lot of the electrical parts are coming from for the diehards still riding the NX250 in the USA (imported '88-90).

I'm quite happy with it as a street bike and for short trips (<400 miles/day).

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Having used an NX250 off road, I can assure you that it is a compromise bike, but, if the terrain isn't too difficult, it will do the job for you.

I found that as I aged, I needed a smaller and lighter bike for riding dirt. I managed to trap myself under it riding the Sheetiron 300 with my son, and decided that the time for a smaller bike had arrived back in 2009. The A-1 version is where a lot of the electrical parts are coming from for the diehards still riding the NX250 in the USA (imported '88-90).

I'm quite happy with it as a street bike and for short trips (<400 miles/day).
I was looking forward to what your comment would be. All motorcycles / vehicles are a compromise one way or another.

I have done the odd 400 mile plus day, but would not make a habit of it. Up to a couple of hundred miles (usually much less), and doing some other things (such as going snorkelling and taking photos) is more my style. Something that does tar mac OKish, and goes OK a bit beyond as well, ticks my boxes. Perhaps that goes back to my formative years on a CT90.

When working on farms I use more dedicated off-road bikes.

Unlike some, I cannot afford (nor desire) a garage full of different vehicles for different purposes. The only time I have had more than one motorcycle is when my working life has been split between two countries.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts