Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,913 Posts
I'm amazed that so many motorcycle riders would rather be the "mule" and carry the weight of all that stuff on their back and shoulders, than use a tail or tank bag and let the bike carry it. And I'm not just talking about riders here on these forums, but in general I see so many riders with daypacks these days, mostly in town.

Yesterday, I went for a nice long day ride on the CBR up through the Jemez Mountains, near Los Alamos, NM (yup, that Los Alamos, home of the DOE National Labs). Anyway, I really couldn't imagine carrying everything that I had (in my Ogio tail bag) in a daypack on my back & shoulders for a 200+ mile day of mountain riding... 3L of H2O in a Camelbak Reservoir, 1L of H2O in a Nalgene Bottle, Rain Jacket, Nikon D3100 w/18-55mm lens, 55-200mm lens, plus a bunch of other misc. stuff that must be good for another pound or so.

I do realize that for many shorter riders a tail bag can be problematic when it comes to throwing a leg over the saddle, but a tank bag is a good alternative solution for those who are challenged in the inseam dept. over a day pack.

I do use a regular Camelbak Mule pack w/3 liter Res. for off road riding, but I'm not wearing leather off road and don't carry as much stuff in the pack, just a few small & light items besides the water... heavier things like tools are carried in the fender bag. Still the Camelbak with 3L of water isn't exactly light.

It seems as though the day pack has become a sort of fashion statement for urban street riders... I've noticed that even the squids seemed to have picked up on this trend. :eek:

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
I take it there aren't many fans of glass tupperware in this forum?
Lol. For home you betcha. When riding, no. I like a light shatter proof ride, including my body. I agree with glass versus plastic re: no spaghetti stains ha ha

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Mike, I get where you're coming from but my logic is simple: I already owned the backpack before buying my bike, so I'm just using what I've already got because it does the job - I definitely don't look like the latest fashion statement ;)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
177 Posts
New (cheap) tail bag

Just picked this up. I was tired of "being the mule" Got it at Walmart for under $20USD.
The shoulder strap cinches up under the seat nicely and there are sturdy loops on the side if you want to reinforce your mounting with bungee cords. They also have a smaller one if this is too big for you.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I find a Nelson-Rigg tank/tail bag, on the pillion seat, works well. Holds supplies picked up at the hardware store, etc. But a sandwich sounds much better than home-repair (actually, usually toilet repair...the bane of old houses) supplies. :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Backpacks are super convenient. Unless you're carrying a lot of weight, they're really the way to go IMO. Don't have to worry about strapping and unstrapping a tank bag and carrying it around with you when you go in a store so someone doesn't swipe it.

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts
For commuting i just use a backpack, i don't generally go for really long rides but my new gsxr 600 came with a Ventura rack with a bag that attaches to it which could come in handy for trips away or even commuting if i want to use it :)

But it looks ugly so i took it off and will stick to a backpack :D

·
Super Moderator
6,913 Posts
Backpacks are super convenient. Unless you're carrying a lot of weight, they're really the way to go IMO. Don't have to worry about strapping and unstrapping a tank bag and carrying it around with you when you go in a store so someone doesn't swipe it.
Yeah, I hadn't really thought of the fact that a small backpack would be convenient for running errands going to stores and such. My typical day of riding is where I'm bringing gear that I already have, which I'll be needing for the ride, as opposed to going out and getting stuff.

If I do find that I need to remove the tail bag from the bike, it's quick and easy... four quick release buckles and it's off and ready to carry.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yeah, I hadn't really thought of the fact that a small backpack would be convenient for running errands going to stores and such. My typical day of riding is where I'm bringing gear that I already have, which I'll be needing for the ride, as opposed to going out and getting stuff.

If I do find that I need to remove the tail bag from the bike, it's quick and easy... four quick release buckles and it's off and ready to carry.
A tank bag is a viable option as well. Although it is a problem with the CBRs teeny tiny little gas tank. You can't fit a super big tank bag on there.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I have an Alpinestars Vader backpack. Very versatile and can hold a full-face helmet if needed.
I much prefer a bike-specific bag and it has all the little extras, like a chest strap and padded back and shoulder straps. Put any weight in a cheap backpack and you'll be feeling it in the shoulders pretty quickly.
I don't really use it that often, but when I do it does everything a good bag should and it also makes a great backpack when I'm on 2 feet instead of 2 wheels.
A tail or tank bag is nowhere near as useful off the bike.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have the Honda rear seat cowl and I can fit a good size lunch with drink under that. On my cbr 600 which has zero under the seat room I just use a fanny pack with the belt around the pillion seat. For larger loads I use the ogio tail bag.

·
Super Moderator
6,913 Posts
Hands free hydration on the fly with a tail bag

Of the many aspects I like about using a tail bag, carrying enough water for extended rides without having to bear any of the weight on my back & shoulders is at the top of the list... here's my set-up:

DSC_0238.jpg

DSC_0240.jpg

The insulated hose coming from the Camelbak reservoir has a Quick Release Coupler w/ Shut Off Valve, that connects to the Bite Valve Hose which is velcro attached to the helmet... hands free hydration on the move. As I mentioned in a previous post, I start off with 4 liters of water for a full day ride without any concern for carrying that much weight, not to mention the weight of the other gear I need for the ride. I think I'd be hard pressed to come up with a more ideal on-the-bike pack solution for extended day rides.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
I have a 45L GIVI top box on my bike.

Before I got it, I used to use a 30L rucksack. The advantages of having a top box are you can lock your helmet and gloves and anything else that you don't want to carry if you're walking around at your destination, in it, and when it rains, you don't have to dry your rucksack, along with everything else. I also carry a shoulder bag in my top box, for when I go shopping. ;)

21 - 40 of 58 Posts