Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
It seems as though the day pack has become a sort of fashion statement for urban street riders...
Yeah, I hadn't really thought of the fact that a small backpack would be convenient for running errands going to stores and such.
Urban riders use them because we also walk a lot and need to carry our stuff with us. In the DC area, even the cage/train commuters wear backpacks. Many of us have work-issued laptops, lunch coolers, etc. in them. People also run errands on the bikes, too. A backpack is any easy way to store everything one needs for a ride and just have the one item (the bag itself) to grab instead of a checklist. Urban mobility/commuting is a totally different world than rural/leisure riding, that's for sure. It's also why a lot of us have small displacement motorcycles and mid displacement scooters even though we've been riding for years.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
i've started commuting on the 250R, what are some suggestions for the smallest, sleekest tail bag available for our bikes? just need to be able to put a sandwich and maybe a baseball cap in the tail bag to take lunch to work.

thoughts?
I use a backpack, well more so my hiking bag. More specifically this one. The front is a small detachable pack. Works well.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I had that Axio tailbag on my Ducati Monster, and thought it looked great, but was smaller than I expected. it also got kind of "scrunced down" over time on the lower soft part. YRMV....

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have 3 solutions actually:

- Fastpac Tailbag
- Ogio Tailbag
- Alpinestars Tech Aero Backpack

I started out with the Fastpac first, and found although it is great in that you can always have it on the bike, it doesn't hold much, plus you can't easily take it with you (so you have to pack it, ride, then unpack at your destination).

I then got the Alpinestars backpack since it could hold a lot more, I could carry my laptop on occasion (15" Macbook Pro), and more clothes if I was staying somewhere for the weekend. It did get tiring, so I looked at tailpacks as well.

Lastly, I got my Ogio and to be honest I like it better than the other solutions I tried. It holds a lot, and easily unclips from the bike to carry with you. It practically lives on my bike as well, in that I take it with me 99% of the time.

As for which is actually best, that's always a toss-up based on personal preference and what you are doing. If I am going for a group ride, normally I just take the Ogio with essentials so I don't have to worry about a backpack at all. If I am going to be going somewhere and be 'off-bike' for an extended period of time (movie, mall, etc) then I take the backpack since it is easier. As for the fastpac, I leave it on the bike too (under the Ogio when it is mounted) for the 'just in case' solution should I pick something up when I never intended to carry anything at all.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Backpack!

To me guys, a good backpack is a no brainer. I wore one on my Sportster, and also on the CBR. No offense to any who use them, but by and large, these big ole tailbags, boxes, and such, just look butt ugly on a Sportbike. My opinion, anyway. I mean, its a Sportbike. Geez, If you wanted a bagger, by all means, they've got them, in most every brand. I bought a Sportbike, and by no means am I trying to turn it into a bagger. My backpack carries everything I need, annd ususlly has plenty of room left. In addition to lunch and snacks, I often have spare clothes, rainsuit, Laptop, and other odds and ends. I see a lot of guys have the big huge boxes on the back of the bike, but man to me, they look some kinda goofy on a Sportbike, no offense.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have a tankbag I use for longer trips. If I'm just going to work I wear a backpack. I use one of my ski packs that has nice shoulder straps and a sternum strap. My laptop and whatnot doesn't fit so well in a tankbag. Eventually I'll get a tailbag and some saddlebags for extended trips. Like I said, on a day to day basis (85% of the time) I just use a backpack... and I'm not afraid to toss some glass/pyrex tupperware in there either :)

·
Registered
576 Posts
works great with a wallet and phone with it all the way zipped down.could probably put alittle more in it without having to have
unzipped at all.most of the time i use a light back pack that
folds up small enough to keep under the seat with some bungy cords.
and a (metal)double gang box cover,incase i have to put the stand on soft ground.

Attachments

·
Registered
414 Posts
so i have the givi rack which i use daily to carry my bag/store my lid, but i just got given a tank bag and its truly quality bit of kit. i think it is a much better way to go than a tail bag as can be rested on for long trips. obviously filling up tank is an issue compared to tail bag

edit:
tank bags have hidden straps so can be carried with you

·
Registered
3 Posts
LOVE my OEM Honda tailpack on my CBR125R. Same kit for the CBR250R, the bag is from Europe actually for the CBR600F...

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
To me guys, a good backpack is a no brainer...
...No offense to any who use them, but by and large, these big ole tailbags, boxes, and such, just look butt ugly on a Sportbike...
...I bought a Sportbike, and by no means am I trying to turn it into a bagger...
...I see a lot of guys have the big huge boxes on the back of the bike, but man to me, they look some kinda goofy on a Sportbike, no offense.
My. Thoughts. Exactly.

My lady and I both hate farkles. She's a snob like that about scooters... and I quote "top-cases make me want to barf".

41 - 58 of 58 Posts