Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my little CBR. It's fun, slick looking, and very economical. The only thing that I really wish, is that I wasn't at around 7,400 ft. Being at this altitude means that I only have a theoretical 18.44 HP. Sad day. I'm stoked for when I move back east in a few years to see how the altitude changes the performance... that or I'll just have to take a road trip to the west coast.

To figure out your HP at altitude, you can use this calculator or use the formula itself:

(((HP x Altitude) / 1000) x .03) - HP

I'm showing about a 22% loss in HP where I am, how about you guys?

Reactions: RubenAlonzo

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I love my little CBR. It's fun, slick looking, and very economical. The only thing that I really wish, is that I wasn't at around 7,400 ft. Being at this altitude means that I only have a theoretical 18.44 HP. Sad day. I'm stoked for when I move back east in a few years to see how the altitude changes the performance... that or I'll just have to take a road trip to the west coast.

To figure out your HP at altitude, you can use this calculator or use the formula itself:

With a few neat stickers and a tinted windscreen, it should put you back to stock HP.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With a few neat stickers and a tinted windscreen, it should put you back to stock HP.
I hear that if I had purchased the Red model, I would have gained 2x the HP.

·
Super Moderator
6,926 Posts
EYVoom, how is the condition of the road from Minturn to Leadville? I haven't been up there in years, but as I recall there are some pretty nice turns on it. Last time I rode it, I did a big loop, from Avon to Leadville, over to Independence Pass, down into Aspen, then on to Glenwood Springs and back to Avon. A long, but fun ride.

I just got back from my regular sunday ride up and down the ski basin road. Three round trips today. Just over 10,000 feet at the top, and 7500 at the bottom. Needless to say the downhill run is a blast. Although there are lots of great roads all over the U.S., and many of them down near sea level, not everyone is lucky enough to live close to where the premium roads are. I wouldn't trade these mountain roads that are literally in my backyard, for straight and boring flatland roads near sea level. Just one of a few of the reasons I moved from the midwest a long time ago. Nearly every place you go in the Rocky Mountain west looks like a picture postcard. I really like that.:)

·
Registered
170 Posts
23.6 HP , average elevation here is around 150ft , I'll have actual dyno numbers soon though.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I live between the the Selkirk and Purcell ranges. Although the peaks can be in the 10,000' range, the roads rarely get above 5500'. Still, it is hard to maintain a good speed on long uphills into a headwind. You may want to try a 2 tooth larger sprocket on the rear....and stick with 85 octane fuel.

·
Registered
154 Posts

I feel ya, I never go past NewCombs (4,000ft) on ACH. After that you ascend to 8,000ft and this bike can NOT handle it gracefully. On the first half of the mountain though, its awesome.

·
Super Moderator
6,926 Posts
Using the gearbox, and keeping the engine RPM's in the power band, are key to operating this bike at high altitude. I've clocked 4000 miles (6437km) on my bike since mid April, all at altitudes ranging from 6500 to over 10,000 feet above sea level. I've had no problem passing cars going uphill at these altitudes, even on fairly short straights between switchbacks. Like I said, it's all about working the gearbox, and staying in the power band (7000 to 10,000 RPM). I've even had my bike to a top speed of 96 mph on a long, flat stretch of two lane road, which was at about 6800 Ft. above sea level. Not too shabby for this bike, IMO.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
EYVoom, how is the condition of the road from Minturn to Leadville? I haven't been up there in years, but as I recall there are some pretty nice turns on it. Last time I rode it, I did a big loop, from Avon to Leadville, over to Independence Pass, down into Aspen, then on to Glenwood Springs and back to Avon. A long, but fun ride.
Oh yeah! I plan on heading out that way in 30 min or so. There was a sink hole on Tennessee pass earlier in the summer, but they've finally gotten that all taken care of. I certainly make due up here (working the gears and what not), I just wish I knew how it would perform at full HP.

·
Registered
167 Posts
If I had to live in a higher elevation area, long-term, the CBR250 (as much as I love it) would not be my first choice for a bike. For me, even at sea level it would already be as low as I prefer going, as far as power goes.

I see two ways around this problem. 1) put it out of your mind and enjoy what you have with the 250, or 2) trade it up for something with some more kick to make up for the loss in power you're experiencing that high up. If you like sport bikes, sit tight for a few months and go for the new 500r.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
177 Posts
If elevation affects HP, then shouldn't everyone else's HP in the area be lessened on the road, too? You can at least live with that piece of mind ;)

·
Registered
501 Posts
Dang, I live at sea level in CA, and all I dream about is when I'll get the chance to pack it up and get the CBR over to Independence Pass! There's just something very attractive to me in the thought of flogging the CBR250 over a high-elevation pass in first gear at WOT... with other cars passing me! I think it might be a different experience than when I ride my CX650 Turbo over Independence Pass!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts