Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

I need some wheel help!

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  jsonder 
#1 ·
Or more specifically rim help.

I posted a while back about an older Yamaha TTR225 that fell into my lap. I got it running easily enough with a carb rebuild, oil change, and some fresh fuel.

I've moved into focusing on the other neglected areas, which includes the wheels.

I need to replace the rims. For whatever reason, the major rim manufacturers do not list this model, or any TTR for that matter. Looks like they have only catalogued motocross bikes.

Does anyone have much experience with spoke wheels?

It looks like there are actually just a few different rims out there, and one or two fit most everything. This bike has a 21" 36 hole rim on the front, and a 18" 36 hole on the rear.

I'm hoping I can pull from you guy's knowledge, and order something that will work.

Thanks.

#4 ·
I did find OE rims available, but they are pretty proud of them. Plus, I was hoping to find an off-the-shelf replacement in case I bend or crack a rim in the future.

Looking at Excel's application guide, it looks like there is only really one pattern 36 hole front wheel, and it fits most makes. As for the rear, it looks like they have two 36 hole; one that fits Kawasaki and some Suzukis, and another that fits Suzuki, Yamaha, and KTM.

I think that I'm going to go ahead and order a front rim from Rocky Mountain for a YZ. After adding the rim to my cart, I was able to see the manufacturer's part number, and it matches the one that I concluded would work based on Excel's app guide. Their site really doesn't lend itself to people who want to compare items and Frankenmut things, and I hope to never have to call their customer service again. The customer service rep was extremely courteous and professional, but the constant ads and reminders that you are on hold are unbearable.

#5 ·
For anyone following this, here's a quick update:

The rim worked out just fine. The only catch was that the TTR uses small spokes and nipples; .250"on the TTR, and the rim is drilled for .320". I was going to try to find just replacement nipples, but no one seems to have m3.5-.7 nipples, but m4-.7 looks to be fairly common though (I have a Ziploc bag full, but no spokes to put them on...).

I contacted Buchanan Spoke and Wheel, and '86-'91 YZ spokes are the same, and they have them with the correct size nipples.

I have a set on order, and will get the rim laced up as soon as they come in.

Just a note for anyone looking to lace their own wheels:

Take pictures.

Reference spoke direction.

Mark an index point on the hub and rim. This will help immensely.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.