Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Honda: INNOVA125i(2010); CBR250R(2013)
243 Posts
1. You should pay attention to the laws in your country, the government should have a list of tires suitable for the CBR250R motorcycle. Usually resizing requires special approvals.
2. Your question lacks the relevant dimensions for the rim. In terms of width 160(The original 140), it seems like it did not collide with other parts of the motorcycle, but you should check the fitting to the rim.

The rim dimensions appear in the attached photos. A rim replacement may be required, and then the question will be whether our model has a special aftermarket rim?

If you find this complicated, do not hesitate to contact a qualified mechanic.
Saw Automotive tire Sports gear Tool Glove

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Steering part Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle

The following table (IRT) shows a 160/60 17 tire that does not fit the width of the MT4.00 rim, and requires a MT4.50 rim ...
Product Rectangle Font Red Parallel

·
Registered
286 Posts
Sure 160 will fit, but why? You'll only use 140 of it anyway because of pinched profile. Bike will be slower to accelerate due to higher rotational weight (worse place to add it). Turn-in will be slower. And... most scary of all, it'll throw off F/R balance and cause your front tyre to slide 1st at limit. Laptimes at any track will be slower. So absolutely zero measurable benefits.

But hey, it's your bike, do whatever you want.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
1. You should pay attention to the laws in your country, the government should have a list of tires suitable for the CBR250R motorcycle. Usually resizing requires special approvals.
He's from the US. As far as I know there are only very few regulations as to what you can or can't do to your bike over there.
In Germany it would be illegal but in the States it should be fine.

·
Registered
Honda: INNOVA125i(2010); CBR250R(2013)
243 Posts
... So absolutely zero measurable benefits...
I do not know what about the nice guy who opens the thread, I know that usually someone who replaces a OEM tire for a wider tire, does not do it for performance reasons, but for design reasons. So I focused only on the matter of adjusting the dimensions of the rim, because it can be a safety issue. Is it dangerous to put an MT4.50 tire on a MT4.00 rim? I think there may be a problem with the MT dimension.
Unlike the many risks you pointed out in your detailed response, and I agree with everything you wrote, a tire that does not fit his rim may lead to a quick, and very surprising general failure which could causing a serious accident.

Does the MT in the wrong measure can cause the tire under certain conditions to suddenly fall apart or lose air quickly???
To the best of my knowledge and understanding
the answer to that question is: Yes, It can!

But hey, it's your bike, do whatever you want.
YES

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys op here we did this as experiment to see if it would fit due to lack of evidence and it’s a 160/70/17 and I’ve had zero issues so far Highway and backroad if anytbing I’ve notice stability during wind and zero difference to acceleration, the front is also a 120/70/17

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do not know what about the nice guy who opens the thread, I know that usually someone who replaces a OEM tire for a wider tire, does not do it for performance reasons, but for design reasons. So I focused only on the matter of adjusting the dimensions of the rim, because it can be a safety issue. Is it dangerous to put an MT4.50 tire on a MT4.00 rim? I think there may be a problem with the MT dimension.
Unlike the many risks you pointed out in your detailed response, and I agree with everything you wrote, a tire that does not fit his rim may lead to a quick, and very surprising general failure which could causing a serious accident.

Does the MT in the wrong measure can cause the tire under certain conditions to suddenly fall apart or lose air quickly???
To the best of my knowledge and understanding
the answer to that question is: Yes, It can!

YES
BTW, which one is best and gives the best drive, 160 or 140?
honestly the 160 has a ton more stability on highway during the wind and I like it a lot better

1 - 10 of 10 Posts