Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It?s a really bad copy. I have a tag, but I dunno if this tag came with the bike or it?s some other tag.

Little aluminum tag, with black printed letters... Capital D and then 5 numbers.

Is this what a cbr250r keycode tag looks like, by chance?

Is there anywhere else to get the key code?

Helpful dealer?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I would think with that tag (if it's correct) you could go into a Honda dealer and have a key made.

Most likely the lock cylinder has a number on it somewhere. Back in the day, Hondas had the code right on the cylinder in plain sight. I don't think it's still right there, but it's written somewhere on the cylinder most likely.

·
Super Moderator
6,934 Posts
It?s a really bad copy. I have a tag, but I dunno if this tag came with the bike or it?s some other tag.

Little aluminum tag, with black printed letters... Capital D and then 5 numbers.

Is this what a cbr250r keycode tag looks like, by chance?

Is there anywhere else to get the key code?

Helpful dealer?

Thanks.
The tag you describe isn't what is supplied with the CBR250R's... mine is as Schroeder described, rectangular aluminum with 8 small stamped numbers, and no letters.

The only dealer who may have the key code for your bike, would be the original selling dealer. I know the dealer I bought mine from has the key code recorded in their doc's. As far as I know, they don't put key codes into an sort of data base, for obvious security reasons.

As for your key that isn't working very well, you could try using some fine emory paper, or a fingernail file to remove any burrs or sharp edges. Usually when you have a key cut, they de-burr the edges on a wire wheel as a last step.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so I don?t have a tag, I have a key that works, but just barely. I took the seat lock off. If it has all the discs that the ignition lock does, one should be able to decipher the code by taking it apart and examining the discs.

·
Super Moderator
6,934 Posts
Perhaps the better option would be to take both the key and the seat lock to a qualified locksmith and see if he can work his magic to get the key to operate smoothly.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I removed the seat lock. If it has the same number of discs as the ignition key, it is possible to discover the code by taking the lock apart.
I?ve never done this before, but I know it?s possible. Wish me luck.

·
Super Moderator
6,934 Posts
Worst case scenario you end up with a worthless seat lock. A new seat lock (with keys) will set you back about $25.00... Ref#13 here: Honda Motorcycle Parts 2012 CBR250R 3AC SEAT Diagram

Question... is the key just as difficult to operate in either the seat lock or the gas cap lock, or is mainly just when operating the ignition switch?

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Hate to bring this up but...are you sure the bike has a clean title? It may have been stolen which is why no original key came with it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There was a code in the format of *1ED* (not my real code) stamped on the body of the seat lock. Supposedly this is the key code, even though other key codes are longer, that is the essential part.

There was an original key, I lost it. There are no title problems.

We will see if they can cut from this code. Luckily, it?s really easy to get to.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All of the keys suck in different ways. The most concerning is right now, I can?t lock the handle bar lock, I have to leave it unlocked. I could probably lock it if I fiddled with it for five minutes, but that?s just wearing away the lock wafers.

It?s pretty hard to unlock it at that point too. The other locks have different sticky issues.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts