Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I broke my key off in my ignition and two separate lock smiths couldn’t get it out, so I have to replace the ignition and there’s two round bolts on the bottom of the ignition how exactly do I get those out

·
Registered
Honda: INNOVA125i(2010); CBR250R(2013)
1,002 Posts
I broke my key off in my ignition and two separate lock smiths couldn’t get it out, so I have to replace the ignition and there’s two round bolts on the bottom of the ignition how exactly do I get those out
Hi.
  • To disconnect the 3pin connector, the procedure recommended by Honda is to lift the fuel tank.
  • For reach the 2 screws of the ignition switch the procedure recommended by Honda is to disassemble the top bridge (the top triangular).
Ref: Honda's service book P. 20-13
Look at my YouTube channel(Start at 6:35):

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Maybe there is a situation where with suitable tools it is possible to skip the disassembly of the top bridge. There should be access to the 2 screws also from below, or from the sides when the plastics covers are disassembled.

P.S. Worth a rest, then think again if there is a way to extract the key, which is of course the preferred way to solve the problem.
Maybe you tried to attach the two broken key parts with a very small amount ofa quick glue (Only first *clean the surfaces from oil)?
*It is possible to use a brake cleaning spray

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
In the case of the guy from India? The heads of the screws were blocked with glue. It is possible to open with blows of a chisel/Center-Punch tools and the screwdriver slot can catting in when the screw is out.
Great video thanks.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
If you go with an aftermarket ignition switch, you will need to modify it - or it isn't going to work.

They typically lack a resistor that is required for the ignition system to operate.

Search around here, and elsewhere, for information on adding the correct resistor to an aftermarket ignition.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
They typically lack a resistor that is required for the ignition system to operate.
YES
All it takes is this a 5.1V 1w zener-diode be connected between the Red/Black wire and the Pink wire, so that the pink wire gets 9 volts.

Reactions: jkv357

·
Registered
570 Posts
Actually zener with 5v breakdown voltage. So on fully-charged battery, 13.8v - 5v = 8.8v output.

Personally, I would use 1000-ohm resistor. Functionally same and drops voltage appropriately for anti-hotwire detection. Just too many people wiring diodes backwards and wondering why it doesn't work. At least with resistor, it works in any orientation.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Actually zener with 5v breakdown voltage. So on fully-charged battery, 13.8v - 5v = 8.8v output.
OK
Just too many people wiring diodes backwards and wondering why it doesn't work.
BUT
If Danno confirm that the electrical schema down below is correct, then those who follow the gates of our great forum will never be confused again and never wiring diodes backwards, didn't it?
Rectangle Font Line Parallel Slope

·
Registered
570 Posts
Sure, that's correct and very informative.

There's that saying about, "leading horse to water"....

No matter how clear you make it; it's still too complicated for some people. So I prefer to simplify as much as possible.

We just fired guy who was hired by one of execs for Linux SysAdmin role. Just couldn't get across to him that there can be different passwords for different systems. Such as:

www.amazon.com = BlahBlah password
www.ebay.com = SomeOther password

He just couldn't understand and kept on putting in wrong password and locking out his account. To simplify, I just set ALL his accounts to have exact same password. Some people just need as watered-down as possible, easy simple instructions with no critical thinking required.

I even made run-books where he can copy & paste commands to do various operations. But... he just couldn't comprehend that when "error" appears on screen, that something is wrong... Nope, he just kept on going with copy & paste until end of run-book. Then system's worse off than when he started... Ahahahahahhhh!!!!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
No matter how clear you make it; it's still too complicated for some people. So I prefer to simplify as much as possible.
Yes
Some people just need as watered-down as possible, easy simple instructions with no critical thinking required.
Yes
But...
It is clear that any complex task can be simplified to its basis, then further simplified, and in the end also reach the wrong conclusion when you are blaming the customer, instead of giving solution to the customer, and then those men are left without customers. And yes, as in love, not every good customer will fit every good service provider, then it will not help how much you will explain the problem, but come and say "it is because the customer" will be wrong, because you lose an agent who could recommend you to other customers. A customer can be rejected out of respect and appreciation and not out of contempt. But I'm sure you already know that.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Let's go back to Earth.
There are many who recommend a 3.6V zener diode.
Denno which of them is better 3.6 or 5.1?
And there's the guy's great suggestion in the following video, who chose to give up protection against thieves in favor of improving reliability (after all, it's pretty sad to get stuck in the middle of the road because of a zener diode who decided she was tired of living):

·
Registered
570 Posts
Zener 5v would better. There have been some cases where 3,6v didn't lower voltage enough to satisfy anti-hotwire circuit.

Yes, you can try as much as possible to be helpful. Your perfect diagrams and photos such as this should be all that's needed.

But there will always be people who cannot understand differences in diode orientation. Those people shouldn't be working on their bikes in 1st place. Then again, they allow us to pick up used "not running, don't know why" bikes for dirt cheap! :)

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Zener 5v would better.
Thanks(y)
Your perfect diagrams and photos such as this should be all that's needed.
Yes
It is therefore worth investing in a good sketch or good picture that is a kind of international language and can bridge well over translation problems, even when it comes to speaking your language but in a different dialect. When you say "black" and mean the stripe on the diode, another person might think you are talking about black wire, or you are talking about minus polarization (even though the minus wires in Honda is green). Sometimes one sketch, or a one pic and everything is clear and there are no misunderstandings.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
But there will always be people who cannot understand differences in diode orientation.
Maybe...
Next time, try using that image?:

Purple Automotive lighting Circuit component Magenta Font

·
Registered
570 Posts
Thanks(y)

Yes
It is therefore worth investing in a good sketch or good picture that is a kind of international language and can bridge well over translation problems, even when it comes to speaking your language but in a different dialect. When you say "black" and mean the stripe on the diode, another person might think you are talking about black wire, or you are talking about minus polarization (even though the minus wires in Honda is green). Sometimes one sketch, or a one pic and everything is clear and there are no misunderstandings.
i'm pretty sure this was easy to understand:
In order for zener diodes to reduce voltage, you have to orient them in reverse-bias with black-stripe aimed towards +12v input and their output will be 9v. Read up on how zeners work here: What is a Zener diode and how does it work? - Tutorials
If someone can't understand that, along with photos, there's not much more we can do really. Not just here, it's happening all over CBR600 and CBR1000 boards too.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
If someone can't understand that, along with photos, there's not much more we can do really. Not just here, it's happening all over CBR600 and CBR1000 boards too.
Yes
Gesture Font Line Parallel Rectangle

I have no illusions that drawing or a picture is a substitute for a user's personal ability.
It is always the responsibility of the person who uses the information provided here for free.
CBR250R Forum This is not a course in motorcycle mechanics
and not a course in motorcycle electronics.

But for most people who already come here and ask the "Pink WIRE" question a good picture can replace a thousand words or hours of useless viewing on YouTube.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
i'm pretty sure this was easy to understand:
NOW What is the mechanical size of the original diode? What type of case/package? DO-35? DO-41? WHAT PACKAGE?
Please, if you do not tell me how I will know, I have to guess ??
Black OR Orange?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.