Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!!!!

I will be taking my Motorcycle Safety Coarse in early June. I have no previous experience riding a motorcycle, but have been wanting one for years. It's time to hand off the car to my sister and with the way the economy is I decided to take the leap. And after much research into various bikes, decided to go with a cbr250r. Any advice for a beginner/novice that I am?

·
Registered
928 Posts
Takin that course is a great start. Then start riding as much as possible. While realizing that every car out there will try and kill you. Always be alert and ride defensively.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Taking my course this weekend and the weather is calling for all rain. Guess it's a perfect time and place to learn how to handle a bike in wet weather.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Miles and miles...thats all i can say. Put in the road work. I wont even call myself an experienced rider till I hit atleast 10K.

First things first...when you get that bike...sliders and gear!

Invest in your interest!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Takin that course is a great start. Then start riding as much as possible. While realizing that every car out there will try and kill you. Always be alert and ride defensively.
I think my dad gave me the best advice for that "pretend your invisible" :)

And thanks for the welcomes and advice!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hey crimson, I also started motorbiking a year back. Always be alert on bike, expect the unexpected.
But I suggest you invest in some riding gears like armour jacket and knee pads etc. As a rider, there are two sets. Ones who have fallen, others who will fall. So don't panic, just keep it cool, and like madd-trapper said, think that u are the only sane rider on earth, everyone else is somehow gonna kill you. So with that mindset ride safe bro!!!
Happy riding.!!! Nothing like a ride to take your tensions off!!!

·
745 Posts
What ajay said. ATGATT (All the gear, all the time). If you shop carefully, you can get overpants with CE-approved armor in the knees, a jacket with elbow and shoulder armor, decent gloves and boots for around $300

Please wear a helmet, even if you're in a state that does not require them. Helmets start around $100, go as high as $1000, but once you get above ~$400 (my opinion), you're getting very little if any additional benefit. Look around, buy some closeouts, and protect your butt. Decent gear can save you a long and painful recovery - ask anyone who's ever hit the pavement at speed in shorts and a tee shirt.

Good Luck! Ride defensively and avoid high-traffic situations until you get comfortable with your bike. Work on your braking - an empty parking lot with clean pavement is a wonderful pace to practice aggressive stopping from slow, then higher speeds. Use both brakes, but remember that the front brake provides the overwhelming amount of stopping force.

Most of all, have fun - if you're like me, you'll find the bike to be a place where you can get away from everything. Oh, and if you like to read, pick up a copy of Keith Code's "Twist of the Wrist". Code breaks down the dynamics of motorcycle handling into easily understood segments that will improve your riding.

Ride Safe,

Luke

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I planned on gearing up anyways, I love to Inline Skate in my free time. And I do some dangerous stuff, but I always wear Helmet, elbow and knee pads for safety. I'm not stupid :) lol thanks for the concern and advice though. And I've been on the look out for a nice empty place to practice braking already, I realize that practicing my stop and goes pretty much sums up some of the most important training I could do. I am a fairly level headed guy and I'm not afraid to fall *though my pride will probably hurt most* So I'm hoping my riding experience will start well :)

*edit* On another note, I'm hoping to find and get some Frame Sliders installed to protect the bike, as I'm actually more worried about it than myself.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just did day 1 of 2 day motorcycle safety training course. Rainy wet weather. 35 students on all diffrent kinds of bikes. I had a 125CBR to train on. LOVE IT. It was one of the only kinds of bikes that didn't have problems starting, running, in the rain.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can't wait for my training class, it is June 2, 4 and 5. Hopefully no rain, but I live in Florida, so their is no telling what will happen.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts