Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I'm blonde. ;) However, when I got my new 2011 Honda CBR250R with ABS a month ago, I looked at the tires for the air pressure (listed as 36psi) and have been riding on that for 440 miles. Tonight, I see the sticker that says with a maximum of 200 lb. load, the air pressure should only be 29psi. :eek:

So, I bled out the excess pressure... question is this: How much difference might I feel when riding tomorrow? I'm kind of excited because sometimes the bike felt like she was 'floating' or 'springy' on the road, not as 'sticky' or 'grippy' as I would have expected. **NOTE: I'm a brand new rider, so just want to understand and learn.** Thanks so much!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I ride my bikes at 2lbs under recommended pressure. A lower pressure will result in noticeably better grip in the corners. What pressure you should run varies greatly depending on who you ask though. If my tires are at recommended pressure, the rear feels like it wants to slide out even during semi-aggressive cornering. The bike should feel much more planted with the drop you made.
Make sure you check your pressure regularly....and always on cold tires.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
id say at 36 psi you were just that..floating all over the road with over inflated tires....up to 200lbs its 29psi front and 29psi rear...200lbs or over and its 29psi front 33 psi rear....

I weight 227..so my rear tire stays at 33psi...i say you will feel a positive difference when you ride with the correct pressure and should handle much better..especially in the corners

always remember to check your tire pressure with cold tires.(you havent ridden on them for awhile) of course when they are rode on they get warmer..warm air expands....your tire is telling you the max pressure that it can safely handle is 36 psi..not telling you to put that much in the tire..same thing for your cars..look in your manual or a sticker on the frame inside car door for tire pressures..not tire walls

:)

edit...i ride right at the recommended pressure and one of my favorite things to do is ride twisties..and my bike sticks like glue in all corners...even when its wet..i dont recommend going 2psi under ....contrary to other opinions......opinions are like buttholes..everbody has one :p

·
Registered
611 Posts
Just some Information about how I extend the tire life on my motorcycles.

I increase the tire pressure by 1 psi above spec. I check the tire pressure each week.

I don't reinflate the tires till the tire pressure drops 2 psi below spec.

Tire pressure and heat. For each 10 deg C, rise in tire temperature, the pressure will increase by 1 psi.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
R100 is the man for info on tyre pressures.

But run 29 front and 30 rear.
When checking hot, (after a 15min track session) this becomes 31 front and 34 rear.

·
Registered
323 Posts
But run 29 front and 30 rear.
When checking hot, (after a 15min track session) this becomes 31 front and 34 rear.
And that is just about perfect.
The difference between cold tyre pressure and pressure after some very spirited riding (like a practice session on a track) should be +10% (+15% max).

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks so much for the information, guys! Today's ride felt so much better--everything from cornering to crosswinds were smoother and more controlled. I didn't have any of that 'floating' feeling and she stuck in the turns. :)

I haven't (and am not nearly ready to ride a passenger), so the 29/29 works for me. I'm doing my 600-mile service this weekend, so I'll recheck pressures then.

Again--my appreciation for sharing your knowledge and opinions!

·
Registered
175 Posts
tire pressure is not only about temperature and weight.
It is also about what type of roads you are using you bike.
If there are lots of potholes and imperfections on your local roads so the pressure setting have to be 1 or 2 psi lower then the original setup or you will lose you tires fast and/or lots of flat tyre and damage as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts